Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Warriors vs #ThunderDown

TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
Seems like everywhere I turn tonight I'm hearing about how the Bastard Sonics have turned a corner and will beat the Warriors (save for Stephen A Smith) ... but I think this is a fairly bad matchup for OKC for the following reasons:

1) Don't particularly matchup well defensively in the backcourt against Curry and Thompson

If there's a weakness that I see on OKC, it's that defensively they are lacking at the guard position in that they don't particularly have a great alternative option at PG that they can put on the opposition to get Westbrook some easy minutes ... in this series, this is magnified because even if you move Westbrook off of Curry, you're moving him onto Thompson (not that that's any easier). In the 3 regular season games, Curry averaged 35 points in 38 minutes of action per game while Thompson averaged close to 24 a game in 36 minutes per game ... he also was significantly more efficient than the regular season shooting over 50 points better. How OKC defends Curry/Thompson will likely decide their fate in the series.

2) OKC bigs a rebounding asset or defensive liability

This follows the prior in how Curry and Thompson are able to get great looks consistently against OKC. OKC wants to play 2 bigs out of Ibaka, Adams, and Kanter. One of them will have to guard Draymond Green. One of the staples of the Warriors offense is the high screen by Green that forces the defense to either a switch of a big directly onto Curry or a jump double that creates a 4 on 3 situation once the pass goes to Green because with Curry's handles it's almost impossible for the on ball defender to stay with Curry through the screen in a position where his defensive position does not become compromised and it's not like he can go under the screen. This has been one of the biggest issues I've seen in the games between the two teams this season is that OKC tends to believe in their bigs being able to at least contest a jumper by Curry and know that the 4 on 3 situation for Green is just as devastating. The problem though is that at that point either the bigs for OKC somehow comes up with a stop or more likely Curry is able to manipulate whatever shot he wants (see the game in OKC when he played Adams like a yo yo in a few key spots). If your defensive strategy in the series is to hope that the MVP is missing jumpers, that's not a recipe for success. And when you look at the options that OKC has on the bench at the guard position, it's not like they can make the decision to go small and expect that that's going to work out well in the long run by playing essentially the Warriors game. Instead, OKC has to hope that its bigs are able to play enough of a contesting defense on the perimeter to not be a liability while being able to punish the Warriors on the boards (easier said than done with the way that the Warriors collectively rebound).

3) Ability for the Warriors to shuffle bodies onto Durant

The biggest consistent mismatch for OKC in the series is Durant as the Warriors can shuffle enough bodies on him between Barnes, Iguodala, Livingston, and even Green if necessary. But Durant's a monster against the Warriors because they just quite frankly lack the height to be able to bother him. In the 3 games this year, Durant averaged over 36 points a game. If OKC is to win the series, they likely will need Durant to be averaging upwards of 40 a game in the OKC victories.

4) Russell Westbrook

Where I really think the impact of Curry/Westbrook really hurts OKC in this matchup is Westbrook on the offensive end. Whereas the Warriors can hide Curry on Roberson, Waiters, or whoever, Westbrook has to raise to the challenge on the defensive end first and the offense becomes secondary ... which doesn't work for OKC when it comes to winning as they rely so much on him and Durant to be difference makers. Westbrook averaged 25 per game this year against the Warriors, but did so on 35% shooting. The bottom line is that the lack of depth that OKC has in the perimeter forces Westbrook to expand so much energy that ultimately by the time you reach the 4th quarter he's on fumes when they need him the most. In my mind, this ultimately is what separates the teams is that Westbrook doesn't have a 2nd guard that can share the load with him the way that the Warriors are able to share the offensive/defensive duties between Curry and Thompson.

I'd be surprised if the Warriors needed more than 6 games to win this series.

Comments

• Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,538
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Blues are gonna whoop the winner.
  • Options
    allpurpleallgoldallpurpleallgold Member Posts: 8,771
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I stopped reading when you said Westbrook needed easy minutes. You've never watched Russell Westbrook play a single game if you think that.

Series summary- Thunder win if Durant and Westbrook are the best two players on the floor.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

I stopped reading when you said Westbrook needed easy minutes. You've never watched Russell Westbrook play a single game if you think that.

Series summary- Thunder win if Durant and Westbrook are the best two players on the floor.

I know how Westbrook plays but I also know what I see in the numbers largely driven by poor outside shooting which is usually tied to no legs. The Warriors typically do a good job of walling up the lane against him leading to a number of jumpers.

No question that if Westbrook puts a monster series up then that brings the series far closer to even. But at some point, the heavy minutes he will be playing will catch up with him.
  • Options
    Poor outside shooting is usually tied to being a poor outside shooter and poor shot selection.

If I were a Thunder fan I'd be more concerned that Big Foot was going to attack Kevin Durant than I would be about Westbroook getting tired.
  • Options
    QuietcowskeeQuietcowskee Member Posts: 3,120
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Fuck Russell Wilson and the fucking snoogs.

Steven Adams, aka Bill the Butcher, will out Draymond Draymond and win rather easily, by say...7?
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Of course they are pumping up the drama, but OKC did play great defense against the Spurs after sucking all year.

Tough to bet against GS, but it could be a good series. I never thought the Thunder would beat the Spurs either, especially after getting blown out in game 1.

Curry and Westbrook are the most entertaining players in the game. An they have never gone head to head in the playoffs.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,452
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Looks like the Thunder are going for the rope a dope. Get killed in game 1 like against the Spurs
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Looks like the Thunder are going for the rope a dope. Get killed in game 1 like against the Spurs

Good call Race
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Pippin could never stop Curry
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Curry is the greatest player of all time even when he's not the best player in the previous finals. And I'm not talking about Andre Iguodola.
  • Options

Curry is the greatest player of all time even when he's not the best player in the previous finals. And I'm not talking about Andre Iguodola.
    Dellevadova?
  • Options
    As great as the Warriors have been the last two years, this is their first series vs a team that can actually challenge them with talent. Their run has actually been a joke. Pelicans, Grizzlies, Rockets, injured Cavs, whoever they beat in the first round this year and Blazers is probably the easiest path anyone has ever had.

I'd still favor the Warriors but game 1 was a reminder that Durant and Westbrook have been through wars and can beat anyone, anywhere, anytime.
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,475
    Swaye's Wigwam

As great as the Warriors have been the last two years, this is their first series vs a team that can actually challenge them with talent. Their run has actually been a joke. Pelicans, Grizzlies, Rockets, injured Cavs, whoever they beat in the first round this year and Blazers is probably the easiest path anyone has ever had.

I'd still favor the Warriors but game 1 was a reminder that Durant and Westbrook have been through wars and can beat anyone, anywhere, anytime.

I'm hearing Westbrook and Durant are not the most talented duo in the nba. Just what im hearing, don't twist.
  • Options
    Duo is different than team.

And I'm not sure Westbrook/Durant is more talented than Lebron/Irving.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Let me jinx OKC by saying this looks like a series where the Warriors can't shake the Thunder and lose in 4 or 5 games
  • Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    curry my goodness