Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Romar's last game? On the deuce

13»

Comments

• Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Giving up 90+ to SDSU is downright embarrassing
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,535
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I am SICK and TIRED of all the racist CRAP on this bored! Knock it off!
  • Options
    section_332section_332 Member Posts: 2,403
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    Can we just shut the athletic department the fuck down. Sick of all the bullshit
  • Options
    Watch how many UW defenders ball watch versus watching BOTH man and ball ... it's staggering
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,279
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    "Character coach, does things the right way" word for word quote from broadcaster, lol
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,861
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

Doogles said:

I've watched more husky basketball games than any self respecting person should admit to this season, and literally every broadcast gushes about the talent on the floor but never says shit about Romar except that "he's the dean of the Pac and has brought this program a long way. Great human being"

Telling.

Announcers are worthless because they don't state the obvious when it comes to shitty coaching. It's part of the code.
    They will point out things but it's very subtle. I don't even know if they're actually trying to criticize him or just pointing out deficiencies they see since they have to constantly talk off the top of their heads. You will hear them call out pretty rudimentary things pointed out like inbounds passes, inbounds pass defense, backdoor cuts, and some discipline issues.

Obviously there is a code throughout sports, you're right. It's why Holmgren and Don James defended Tytanic in 2008 and Gruden will never bash any coach on MNF (in fact he will go on a mild tirade about how they had better look long and hard if they want to find someone to replace coach x).
  • Options
    TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,752
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Can we just shut the athletic department the fuck down. Sick of all the bullshit

I have to up vote this, because, it represents the sentiment of 50% of the fanbase at any given time. It's like watching a shitty sitcom that inexplicably goes on for a decade.
  • Options
    Tequilla said:

Watch how many UW defenders ball watch versus watching BOTH man and ball ... it's staggering

@Tequilla: Watching Steven F. Austin's defense the other night made me cry. They were so solid on fundamental defense, they made it look easy. Does UW even practice defense or rebounding?
  • Options
    I think we're all resigned to one more year of Romar. Hopefully private conversations are happening right now with Romar being asked/told to resign in lieu of being fired if next year's team doesn't win 23+ games and make the tourney. It won't happen mid-season, but if he can't win with this talent, and with the "youth" excuse gone, I don't see how even Romar could face the fanbase with a straight face.
  • Options

Tequilla said:

@Tequilla: Watching Steven F. Austin's defense the other night made me cry. They were so solid on fundamental defense, they made it look easy. Does UW even practice defense or rebounding?
    This is pretty much the biggest indictment to me of Romar the coach ... way too many fundamental things just completely missing

SFA, Northern Iowa, Wichita St, St Joe's ... really just about any team in the tournament worth a damn plays the game the right way.

It's one thing to get outplayed on the court ... but you shouldn't routinely get beat because you can't execute the fundamentals even though it is clear to all you have more talent
  • Options
    SarkinghamSarkingham Member Posts: 286
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Name Dropper 5 Up Votes
    edited March 2016

I think we're all resigned to one more year of Romar. Hopefully private conversations are happening right now with Romar being asked/told to resign in lieu of being fired if next year's team doesn't win 23+ games and make the tourney. It won't happen mid-season, but if he can't win with this talent, and with the "youth" excuse gone, I don't see how even Romar could face the fanbase with a straight face.

The problem is the youth excuse won't be gone for idiot fucking doogs. They say right now that there won't be any more excuses (hi SoftyFS!) but their tone will change once Romar shits the bed again next year. They're going to lose Andrews, Chriss, and maybe (probably?) Murray. They bring in Fultz (freshman) and Timmins (freshman), and there won't be any seniors. So...again they'll be young and the doogs will say "just wait till next year when Savior Recruit X gets here". Same as it ever was.
  • Options
    SevenElevenSevenEleven Member Posts: 318

Doogles said:

I've watched more husky basketball games than any self respecting person should admit to this season, and literally every broadcast gushes about the talent on the floor but never says shit about Romar except that "he's the dean of the Pac and has brought this program a long way. Great human being"

Telling.

Announcers are worthless because they don't state the obvious when it comes to shitty coaching. It's part of the code.
    They will point out things but it's very subtle. I don't even know if they're actually trying to criticize him or just pointing out deficiencies they see since they have to constantly talk off the top of their heads. You will hear them call out pretty rudimentary things pointed out like inbounds passes, inbounds pass defense, backdoor cuts, and some discipline issues.

Obviously there is a code throughout sports, you're right. It's why Holmgren and Don James defended Tytanic in 2008 and Gruden will never bash any coach on MNF (in fact he will go on a mild tirade about how they had better look long and hard if they want to find someone to replace coach x).
    It wasn't that subtle when the announcer pointed out that was the only time he'd seen a T for 6 men on the court in the entire year of college hoops.
  • Options
    DugtheDoogDugtheDoog Member Posts: 3,180
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment

No way. He's here until he touches a 15 yr old girl or goes 8-22. Hell, even the 8-22 season would be forgiven. If he went .500 the next year, Doogs would eat it up. Fuck our fans.

Who wants to take one for the team here? Anyone got an underage daughter?
    Spooge? Don't try to pretend like you don't still lurk
  • Options
    DugtheDoogDugtheDoog Member Posts: 3,180
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    The thing that's so damn frustrating is even when Murray, Chriss and Fultz leave, we have a solid nucleus of 4-year players that even a decent coach could parlay into a deep tourney run or 2. As Jr's and Sr's, complemented by incoming recruits, a nucleus of Thybulle, Green, Dickerson, and Crisp is a really fucking solid group. No absolute superstar but I really like Thybulle's game. As an upperclassman he's going to be a very good college player. I think Crisp will always be a little bit out of control but he's a guy that will be able to score in bunches and doesn't give a fuck so he's not afraid to take big shots and you always need a player like that. Dickerson will just be an extremely solid inside post who teams would love to have. And from what I've seen of Green lately, I think the light's starting to come on. I wish he had the luxury of redshirting but he reminds me of a guy who's going to be a very efficient player, the kind where you look at the box score after the game and say 'how the hell did Green end up with 22 points?"

Under Romar, I'm sure at least 2/4 will digress and/or transfer. But bring in a solid...not necessarily even good...basketball coach and the team WOULD be poised to make some noise in a couple of years.

Unfortunately, we all know it wont' end in that manner....
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    whuggy said:

If there was ever a kernel of doubt that UW is a "football school", then
    the continued employment of Lorenzo Romar puts that to rest. No school
    that is remotely serious about basketball would continue a coach's
    employment with his record given the talent he has to work with. The
    people in charge simply don't give much of a fuck about hoops.

What is it, five straight years of no NCAA tourney? I don't think a coach at ANY other PAC 12 school could survive that. Even WSU and Oregon State would fire their coach.
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,861
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    edited March 2016
    They were semi robbed in 2012, but it shouldn't make a difference.

He had really good success early on and from 2009-2011. Boeheim, Calipari, Izzo, and even most second tier coaches wouldn't survive two or three straight years of missing the tournament just because they were good before. NIT's beat 9-20 like "we" were in the early 90s, but it doesn't justify giving a guy a pass for mediocrity and underperforming. I've had jobs where they would fire you for underperforming for two months. This guy gets how many years? Christ