Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Romar's 'Dream Class' Pole:

DugtheDoogDugtheDoog Member Posts: 3,180
5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
edited March 2016 in Payton's Place
Ok, UW played this year with 2 freshman that are guaranteed 1st round picks (either this year or next) and a couple other pretty solid freshmen as well as a 1st team all pac-12 senior PG. They are currently thriving in the #69-#100 tournament to ultimately decide who the 69th best team is. Which got me thinking.

A few years ago all we kept hearing was about Romar's 'dream class' and when that didn't come even close to happening, Romar took a couple years off and the excuse machine and 'what if' crowd were out in full force. Which leads me to wonder a) What would a really good coach have done with this year's team? I have to think an Izzo, Brad Stevens, even a Calipari would have this team around the top 25. But mainly, b) would Romar have even made the fucking 68-team tournament with the so-called 'dream class'? I'm almost leaning toward no at this point. Bird averaged 8 points as a frosh, Parker was a stud and Gordon showed flashes and was a big athletic body but ultimately wasn't a huge difference-maker as a freshman.

So...if 'Chill'ious and 'Chill' Conroy were properly using the coffee cups and Romar was somehow able to land his 'dream' class of Jabari Parker, Jabari Bird and Aaron Gordon that Griswold kept pumping up as a VERY REAL possibility, would Romar's stellar coaching have even led them to the NCAA tournament?

Romar's 'Dream Class' Pole: 9 votes

Yes. If Romar stepped down in October and Dana Altlman decided to drive north to handle Xs and Os
77%
HouhuskyDawgtonaUWhuskytskeetGladstonedncNeGgaPlEaSeSarkingham 7 votes
Is this a joke? Romar wouldn't have sniffed the CBI
22%
DugtheDoogdoogville 2 votes
Janet Reno (the field)
0%

Comments

• dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Yes. If Romar stepped down in October and Dana Altlman decided to drive north to handle Xs and Os
    Yes (without the Altman handoff). That team had more returning talent to put around those frosh than this one did. It wouldn't have been a special year, but they would have made the tourney.
  • greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,272
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    dnc said:

Yes (without the Altman handoff). That team had more returning talent to put around those frosh than this one did. It wouldn't have been a special year, but they would have made the tourney.

Romar would have taken them to the tourney, and Altman would have taken them to the Final Four.

dnc said:

Romar would have taken them to the tourney, and Altman would have taken them to the Final Four.
    You mean the guy who's made it to the Sweet 16 once in 26 years as a HC (10 at power conference schools)?

Sure he would have.

Romar sucks but the Altman hype is way the fuck out of control. He won a shitty Pac 12 conference this year. Good for him. Romar got a #1 seed once too.

Altman is mediocre at best.
  • GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    lipo
  • ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    dnc said:

dnc said:

You mean the guy who's made it to the Sweet 16 once in 26 years as a HC (10 at power conference schools)?

Sure he would have.

Romar sucks but the Altman hype is way the fuck out of control. He won a shitty Pac 12 conference this year. Good for him. Romar got a #1 seed once too.

Almost as bad as the Tony Bennett hype.

dnc said:

dnc said:

Sure he would have.

Almost as bad as the Tony Bennett hype.
    And Bennett >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Altman
  • FreeChavezFreeChavez Member Posts: 3,222
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    I'd take Bennett still. Not may favorite brand of basketball but still has been good in multiple places in the country and in a short amount of time.

Dana is way overrated when that's the bar.

My wet dream is still pitino. He thrives with the type of basketball that surrounds the Seattle area, and I could give two shits about what he does with his love life. We've? had a "clean" coach that has pimp and drug dealer on his team, so let's throw out the fake clean school bs. He is just as clean as every other coach in d1. He is going to need a total fresh start of the ville' cans him.

Pipe dream I know
  • MelloDawgMelloDawg Member Posts: 6,064
    I'm 81% ok with Conroy roaming the baseline when Romar resigns, he'll have 15 years experience as an assistant by then so he'll be set to step in as head man