Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

If this is true, Marquese Chriss will be selling the couch

2»

Comments

• Options
    HuskyInAZHuskyInAZ Member Posts: 1,732
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Awesomes First Comment

Not sure I agree Chriss is an NBA 4. He can't even guard that position in college.

Between his foul trouble and the string of big men that just pushed UW's shit in the past few games, I don't see it.

Unless he plays on a team that runs a small lineup like Golden State, I see him as a 3 like Rashard Lewis was or Harrison Barnes is.

Not that I necessarily disagree with your first sentence, but there are extenuating circumstances. When your coach is such a dumbfuck to switch every single ball screen, it doesn't help.

I can't see either Chriss or Murray in the NBA next year. But then again, I could not imagine Wroten in the NBA after his FR year. But in hindsight, it was a great move for him. He's made over $5 million over the past 4 years. Whether he has success on the court or not, there is no way he makes that kind of money in his entire lifetime without the stupidity of the NBA.
  • Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    HuskyInAZ said:

Not sure I agree Chriss is an NBA 4. He can't even guard that position in college.

Between his foul trouble and the string of big men that just pushed UW's shit in the past few games, I don't see it.

Unless he plays on a team that runs a small lineup like Golden State, I see him as a 3 like Rashard Lewis was or Harrison Barnes is.

Not that I necessarily disagree with your first sentence, but there are extenuating circumstances. When your coach is such a dumbfuck to switch every single ball screen, it doesn't help.

I can't see either Chriss or Murray in the NBA next year. But then again, I could not imagine Wroten in the NBA after his FR year. But in hindsight, it was a great move for him. He's made over $5 million over the past 4 years. Whether he has success on the court or not, there is no way he makes that kind of money in his entire lifetime without the stupidity of the NBA.
    I guess it just depends on what they think is the better track; get paid to develop in the NBA with a hard deadline to show results or GTFO, or play for free in college and have time to work on your game before going pro and starting that clock. They both have lots of potential, but neither is a lock to succeed at that level right now.
  • Options
    FreeChavezFreeChavez Member Posts: 3,223
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    I'd say being a college bball fan i would much prefer the players stay at UW for at least another year or two. It would be better for college and for the nba. That being said that currently is a dream and not reality. If you want to talk reality it's absolutely moronic to stay in school and risk losing the "potential" tag if you can get into the 1st round. Sure, if you're around the 25+ pick then that's extremely risky and I wouldn't suggest it, however if you're at 15 what exactly do you have to prove in college. At that point you're going to the nba, work on your game all day with professional coaches and players and you're locked into 3 years to get your shit together.

Chriss needs to add bulk, but his game is going to be better at the nba than it is in college. The game is more spread out, more isolation and match ups. Yes, we all know he has trouble guarding people and fouling, however a good coach will get that cleaned up. There are zero guarantee he gets that cleaned up playing under romar for another 1-2 years.

Keep in mind a guy like Chriss doesn't have to be an all-star out of the gate, or even a starter. He needs to start building his body and improving. There are many examples for either side of the argument to cherry pick, but considering romar has done zero in developing bigs, I'd tell him to sell the couch if he's a mid 1st rounder.

Also to be fair, TW should have come back because he can't shoot or dribble with one of his hands but wants to be a PG. This presents massive problems for longevity in the league. Chriss needs bulk and needs to get away from cheap fouls, both very fixable at the next level.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

HuskyInAZ said:

I guess it just depends on what they think is the better track; get paid to develop in the NBA with a hard deadline to show results or GTFO, or play for free in college and have time to work on your game before going pro and starting that clock. They both have lots of potential, but neither is a lock to succeed at that level right now.
    To me it's all about the draft stock. If you're projected in the middle of the first round or above, I think you have to go. There are too many things that can go wrong if you don't. If you're projected around the end of the first round, there's a good shot you slip into the no guaranteed money of the second round. Most people in that situation should stay (unless you're Isaiah Thomas and never going to get into the first round solidly no matter what you do, but that's rare).

If Ford's rankings are a good indicator of where these guys stock really is, I'd advise Chriss to go and Murray to stay.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

He can't guard a 3 either. I'm not sure he will ever be able to guard anyone. Chriss could be a great college player next year, but he doesn't have a high basketball IQ, which is why he can't anticipate and why he's in foul trouble every game. That doesn't work in the NBA. Maybe some of that is because he is young and raw, but it is also something that comes naturally to many players. Murray for example, has the natural instincts. He's just missing the body and a more reliable shot.

He's good, but I don't see him ever being actually good in the NBA. He's a tweener like Darrell Arthur, Hakim Warrick, etc. All super athletic players, but without great instincts or a true position. It doesn't mean he can't play, but the really good players in the NBA all have natural instincts that based on what I've seen, Chriss doesn't have.
  • Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

He can't guard a 3 either. I'm not sure he will ever be able to guard anyone. Chriss could be a great college player next year, but he doesn't have a high basketball IQ, which is why he can't anticipate and why he's in foul trouble every game. That doesn't work in the NBA. Maybe some of that is because he is young and raw, but it is also something that comes naturally to many players. Murray for example, has the natural instincts. He's just missing the body and a more reliable shot.

He's good, but I don't see him ever being actually good in the NBA. He's a tweener like Darrell Arthur, Hakim Warrick, etc. All super athletic players, but without great instincts or a true position. It doesn't mean he can't play, but the really good players in the NBA all have natural instincts that based on what I've seen, Chriss doesn't have.
    Exactly. He just started playing basketball a few years ago. Makes me think some floor experience in college would benefit him more than riding the bench in the league.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

The big question is will his instincts improve as he spends more time around the game and gets more coaching? I don't think Arthur or Warrick had such little hoops experience. It's at least fathomable that Chriss' BBIQ improves as he moves forward. Just probably not while he plays for Romar, who has developed the hell out of some guards but not really any bigs.
  • Options
    It still comes down to projection. If chriss is that high of a pick, you go and develop in the league and get paid. At worst, having warricks career isn't exactly terrible. 9 years in the league and 21 million in pay. I know he doesn't get all that $, but still not a terrible gig. If chriss stays in school for 1-2 years and really doesn't show any more potential he may never see an nba team.

nba is like fraternity. If he can get in and play a few years there is at least a good shot he stays for 5+ years and maybe more if his ceiling is what others think it is. Staying at UW delays his rookie contract and he may not ever move up the draft boards b/c there is always a new crop of super frosh with more potential coming in.

I hope he stays, but he really shouldn't if fords rankings are anywhere near reality(which is also more suspect than chriss chances in the league)
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    #WEAREAGETGUYSTOTHENBASCHOOL?

• Options
    salemcoog said:

#WEAREAGETGUYSTOTHENBASCHOOL?

As much as i hate romar as least he puts guys in the nba and they have careers. I'd shoot myself if UW hired ernie kent after firing rivals assistant who couldn't get it done.