Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

PM to @Tequilla

GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
Founders Club
@Tequilla

I love you but there were some comments made by you in the AZ game thread I wanted to answer separately and not get them lost in the sands of time:

"Ok ... I'm feeling like Doogin' for a second ...

If Murray is motivated by this ... as these guys get a year or two older (and smarter) with a little more talent coming in behind them ... they've got all the ability in the world to be a National Championship contender ..."

A fleeting doog statement, but you retconned this a little bit by emphasizing in later posts that Romar is the coach and this would never in a thousand years happen. So it's ok.

"The kids need to learn to stem the tide on their own ... plus what is LoRo going to say during a timeout anyway?"

Dumb comment. Even if Romar just stood there drooling and stared blankly at them all timeout (which is what any of his "coaching" is equivalent to anyway), it is still essential to call timeout to curb the opponent's momentum as they go on a run. This happens time and time again. Three separate 8-0 or worse runs by AZ and Romar stood there looking hungover. No timeout. No regroup. Nothing. AZ rode those waves to victory.

"When their careers are over (long-term) ... I wouldn't be surprised if Chriss ended up being a better player than Murray"

I agree, especially if Chriss stays three years. The dude's ceiling is unreal.

Comments

• Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    The middle comment about what is LoRo going to say is pretty much why I think he's a terrible in game coach. When shit is going bad a good coach can call time out, make a quick in game correction, and dial up a play that is guaranteed to get a good shot. LoRo does really neither.

That being said, I firmly believe that the best teams are the ones that can on their own be able to stop a run on their own and weather the tide. Too often we look at the coach as someone that can bail the players out of their own troubles. But instead, what bails you out isn't the coach but it is somebody stepping up and making a great play whether it's a great drive to the basket (whether you finish on your own or drop it off for an easy bucket), making a steal, playing good defense, etc.

In general, I just see momentum in basketball as one of the most overrated things out there. If a team goes on an 8-0 run, have the balls to get out of it. Don't go run and cry to papa asking him to pat you on the head and tell you that all will be better. If I'm feeling like I've got a team in a bad spot a timeout isn't going to change that. If I don't think I can beat a team going to the huddle and getting 60 seconds of encouragement isn't going to change my mind.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Tequilla said:

The middle comment about what is LoRo going to say is pretty much why I think he's a terrible in game coach. When shit is going bad a good coach can call time out, make a quick in game correction, and dial up a play that is guaranteed to get a good shot. LoRo does really neither.

That being said, I firmly believe that the best teams are the ones that can on their own be able to stop a run on their own and weather the tide. Too often we look at the coach as someone that can bail the players out of their own troubles. But instead, what bails you out isn't the coach but it is somebody stepping up and making a great play whether it's a great drive to the basket (whether you finish on your own or drop it off for an easy bucket), making a steal, playing good defense, etc.

In general, I just see momentum in basketball as one of the most overrated things out there. If a team goes on an 8-0 run, have the balls to get out of it. Don't go run and cry to papa asking him to pat you on the head and tell you that all will be better. If I'm feeling like I've got a team in a bad spot a timeout isn't going to change that. If I don't think I can beat a team going to the huddle and getting 60 seconds of encouragement isn't going to change my mind.

Totally disagree. There are plenty of ways a timeout helps slow down or stop momentum besides great x's and ho's. Calms guys down, gets them a breather, allows substitutions, calms the crowd down (on the road). A well timed timeout can be huge, regardless of any coaching adjustments.

I don't know how anyone who's ever played basketball can deny momentum. I think it's a bigger factor in hoops than any other sport.
  • Options
    LoneStarDawgLoneStarDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 13,113
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    i've avoided this team for the most part the last few years. I was in town and went to the ASU game last week. They play exciting basketball, they're dripping with athleticism and emotion, the crowd was electric, and ultimately they found a way to win ugly.

lather rinse repeat for the last 12 years, except when we don't have the athleticism and we really suck.

I've got zero faith in Romar going any further than the sweet 16 in the next 4 years, and if they do it will still be disappointing because they have so much potential.
  • Options
    allpurpleallgoldallpurpleallgold Member Posts: 8,771
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Phil Jackson is/was the only coach allowed to not call timeouts.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Agree on calming the crowd down on the road.

If as a player you can't play at an even keel level, you're probably not a good player anyway.

If your team is tired, then absolutely agree with the need to give them a blow. Same with trying to get a substitution into the game that has been sitting at the table for 2 minutes.

I guess what I'm saying on momentum is that 60 seconds isn't enough of a game changer in momentum to me in general. If the team I'm playing on is moving the ball well and hitting shots, then taking 60 seconds off isn't going to change that rhythm. I've never felt like I play better defense when the momentum is on my side.

But then again, I self admittedly am someone that rarely gets too high or too low. Confidence plays way more of a role to me than momentum does. If the other team is playing well all that does is inspire me to have to play better. The only thing that really gets me down is when my teammates are playing with their heads up their backside.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Phil Jackson is/was the only coach allowed to not call timeouts.

Phil Jackson lived at my mom's uncle's house his senior year of high school (his parents moved away his senior year and he wanted to finish at that school). Everyone who knew him then hates him. But that fucker got resluts.