Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

"All you Americans are Fired"

Comments

• Options
    d2dd2d Member Posts: 3,109
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    It ain't just lettuce pickers...
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,547
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I built my own fucking fence with my Cambodian neighbor. Bet him that it wouldn't last 5 years without concrete forms for the fence posts and proper spacing in between boreds (cuts down on wind resistance by letting it flow through). Fence fell down this year after only 2 years and I won the bet. This time we do it my way and he pays for concrete (the bet was that I would supply the boards the first time around and if it fell he would pay the cost to rebuild).

What does this have to do with the story? Nothing. Just wanted to share.

Oh and if you think the worker VISA thing is bad in blue collar work, go work for Microsoft or any tech/IT company. They'll have you speaking punjab in a week and making 20K coming out of school.
  • Options
    sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208
    5 Awesomes Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    HuskyJW said:

We built a house this spring/summer. Every contractor that was white....every fucking one....cabinet guy....floor guy...whatever. Always was late...terrible communication and there was always some excuse on why he couldn't do something. If they showed up at all.

Meanwhile.....the landscapers who put in the yard and sprinkler system barely spoke a lick of fucking english. On time everytime....got shit done and his communication was better than the white honkeys smoking ciggies and checking their phones every two minutes.
    Fence guy was a couple of Mexicans also....SOB's dug the post holes out with a manual post hole digger. I almost checked into the hospital just watching them. Oh and they fired out the fence in no time either and did what they said they would do.

So you're saying... leave house building to the professionals who hire subcontractors based on performance, not race?
  • Options
    HuskyJWHuskyJW Guest, Member Posts: 14,186
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    edited December 2015

HuskyJW said:

We built a house this spring/summer. Every contractor that was white....every fucking one....cabinet guy....floor guy...whatever. Always was late...terrible communication and there was always some excuse on why he couldn't do something. If they showed up at all.

Meanwhile.....the landscapers who put in the yard and sprinkler system barely spoke a lick of fucking english. On time everytime....got shit done and his communication was better than the white honkeys smoking ciggies and checking their phones every two minutes.
    Fence guy was a couple of Mexicans also....SOB's dug the post holes out with a manual post hole digger. I almost checked into the hospital just watching them. Oh and they fired out the fence in no time either and did what they said they would do.

So you're saying... leave house building to the professionals who hire subcontractors based on performance, not race?
    Actually the opposite of that.

Lazy white guys were the subbies.

• Options
    Why did you hire them?
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,895
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    edited December 2015
    The bottom line is this: You work hard, good things will happen. It's been the cycle of prosperity in this country for 300 years. Those who don't have- want. They work hard to get it and then, if not them, their children reap the rewards. And eventually the successor generations fuck it up by taking things for granted.

The failure rate of businesses by the third and fourth generation is astronomical. Dad works like fuck to build it, kid resents the lack of parenting but sticks with the family business and does what needs to be done to sustain it. Grandkid comes along after growing up in affluence and never saw the type of blood, sweat and tears it took to build the thing in thing in the first place.

Rinse.repeat. In a couple decades, the messicans will be the general contractors hiring the Somalians or the Haitiians or the Syrians....whoever. And the messicans kids' will be popping Cristal and crashing their sports cars Prefontaine-style. (PUMP MY GAS, DEAD DUCK).

• Options
    Sounds like you saw the same episode of 'The Profit' I did.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,895
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Sounds like you saw the same episode of 'The Profit' I did.

I lived that shit. THREE fucking times in my life I went to work for either 2nd or 3rd generations. The thirds are the worst.

Way easier and less risk/more upside to go the start up route instead of cleaning up their trail of poo.
  • Options
    golddog17golddog17 Member Posts: 121
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    HuskyJW said:

You don't get shit on commercial / institutional jobs.
    Alot of residential contractors / subcontractors are wannabes anyway
  • Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    PurpleJ said:

I built my own fucking fence with my Cambodian neighbor. Bet him that it wouldn't last 5 years without concrete forms for the fence posts and proper spacing in between boreds (cuts down on wind resistance by letting it flow through). Fence fell down this year after only 2 years and I won the bet. This time we do it my way and he pays for concrete (the bet was that I would supply the boards the first time around and if it fell he would pay the cost to rebuild).

Oh and if you think the worker VISA thing is bad in blue collar work, go work for Microsoft or any tech/IT company. They'll have you speaking punjab in a week and making 20K coming out of school.

Will they still get to have booze in their desk drawers?
  • Options
    TommySQCTommySQC Member Posts: 5,813
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    golddog17 said:

HuskyJW said:

Commercial jobs don't have the stupid schedules that the resi guys get to deal with. Unless you're at the end or have a shitty PM/Super.
  • Options
    golddog17golddog17 Member Posts: 121
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    TommySQC said:

golddog17 said:

HuskyJW said:

Commercial jobs don't have the stupid schedules that the resi guys get to deal with. Unless you're at the end or have a shitty PM/Super.
    All sectors have their shitty schedules, but schools are the worst. 20 million + projects that have to be completed in one year or less. No exception, it has to open September 1st + / -

• Options
    d2dd2d Member Posts: 3,109
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
  • Options
    topdawgnctopdawgnc Member Posts: 7,838
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    edited January 2016
    When I was in high school I was asked to swamp cherries. So I got up at 4 AM, went and worked my ass off for 14 fucking hours. Got home at 7 PM ... fell asleep.

Never went back.

About a year later I got asked if I wanted to thin apples ... looked easier than swamping cherries. So I figured what the fuck. Got up in the trees, split my thumbnail ... said fuck this ... left to get something to eat.

Never went back.

• Options
    DeepSeaZDeepSeaZ Member Posts: 3,901
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Answer First Comment
    TommySQC said:

golddog17 said:

HuskyJW said:

I know you are being sarkastic but yes. Most tech company employees do.
  • Options
    BallSackedBallSacked Member Posts: 3,279
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment

Why did you hire them?

Yep. And if you're so fucking smart, why build the same fence twice?