Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Orange Bowl take from a Sooner fan

Make no mistake, Clemson won that game because of two factors: They dominated the line play and OU forgot how to tackle. I've already found articles and commentary trying to credit other things, but if either of those two factors weren't the case OU would have had the chance to win!

I'm not too surprised by the poor play of OU's offensive line. This has been the worst OLine in a while for OU. They are plenty big and physical (see Orlando Brown), but their youth and general lack of skill showed up plenty this season, though it was masked later on in the season by OU's elite RBs and lack of tough DLine competition in the Big12 this season. And Clemson had the best defense they faced all season. I thought they would play a little better than that, but I still feared this would happen.

I am surprised at the poor play of OU's front 7. Yes it did hurt that they lost 40lbs in the middle when Charles Walker got a concussion and Romar had to go pretty much full time. But they just inexplicably played very poorly all over the place. They couldn't get penetration and suddenly couldn't tackle. They have faced better OLines this season: Ask UNC about Baylor's OLine that managed over 600 yards on the ground with a 1-dimensional offense using all backup RBs. Losing Jordan Evans halfway through the game hurt and Frank Shannon played poorly in his place. Still there is no excuse for how badly they played. Unlike the OLine, the front 7 was eminently capable of playing much better than that. But they sucked last night!

Sometimes we Sooner fans forget how bad Stoops' OU squads play in bowl games. Yes he pulled off some miracles against Florida State in the '00 season and Bama in the '13 season. But he's come out playing worse than the team is capable of in bowl games way too many times. Not sure what the solution is...

Comments

• Options
    SteveInSheltonSteveInShelton Member Posts: 1,611
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Watson was the best player on the field, nuff said about that.
  • Options
    KnocksvilleEKnocksvilleE Member Posts: 75
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    edited January 2016

Watson was the best player on the field, nuff said about that.

not really. He wasn't accurate, got good blocks and big holes all day, and got 50 yards on one play due to a missed hold on Jordan Thomas by Jayron Kearse.
  • Options
    KnocksvilleEKnocksvilleE Member Posts: 75
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    And I've already read and heard BS about OU not having as much talent as Clemson, but OU and Clemson were neck and neck in recruiting 3 out of the last 4 years.

http://247sports.com/Season/2015-Football/CompositeTeamRankings (Clemson #8, OU #15)
    http://247sports.com/Season/2014-Football/CompositeTeamRankings (Clemson #17, OU #14)
    http://247sports.com/Season/2013-Football/CompositeTeamRankings (Clemson #15, OU #16)
    http://247sports.com/Season/2012-Football/CompositeTeamRankings (Clemson #15, OU #12)
  • Options
    topdawgnctopdawgnc Member Posts: 7,838
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    Big Game Bob strikes again!
  • Options
    MikeSeaverMikeSeaver Member Posts: 4,405
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes

Make no mistake, Clemson won that game because of two factors: They dominated the line play and OU forgot how to tackle. I've already found articles and commentary trying to credit other things, but if either of those two factors weren't the case OU would have had the chance to win!

I'm not too surprised by the poor play of OU's offensive line. This has been the worst OLine in a while for OU. They are plenty big and physical (see Orlando Brown), but their youth and general lack of skill showed up plenty this season, though it was masked later on in the season by OU's elite RBs and lack of tough DLine competition in the Big12 this season. And Clemson had the best defense they faced all season. I thought they would play a little better than that, but I still feared this would happen.

I am surprised at the poor play of OU's front 7. Yes it did hurt that they lost 40lbs in the middle when Charles Walker got a concussion and Romar had to go pretty much full time. But they just inexplicably played very poorly all over the place. They couldn't get penetration and suddenly couldn't tackle. They have faced better OLines this season: Ask UNC about Baylor's OLine that managed over 600 yards on the ground with a 1-dimensional offense using all backup RBs. Losing Jordan Evans halfway through the game hurt and Frank Shannon played poorly in his place. Still there is no excuse for how badly they played. Unlike the OLine, the front 7 was eminently capable of playing much better than that. But they sucked last night!

Sometimes we Sooner fans forget how bad Stoops' OU squads play in bowl games. Yes he pulled off some miracles against Florida State in the '00 season and Bama in the '13 season. But he's come out playing worse than the team is capable of in bowl games way too many times. Not sure what the solution is...

And it's UO, idiot.
  • Options
    PurpleReignPurpleReign Member Posts: 5,457
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Other problem was the okie QB had shit for brains.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,746
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    And what does this have to do with the Canes?
  • Options
    dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker First Anniversary