Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Oakland basketball

dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
I badly overreacted to saturday. Yes romar sucks but they just took #1 Michigan state to OT in Detroit

Comments

• Options
    HuskyInAZHuskyInAZ Member Posts: 1,732
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited December 2015
    MSU shot 50% from the field, Oakland shot 35%, yet Oakland gave them all they could handle. And had Felder not fouled out in OT, who knows.

And yes, Romar does suck.
  • Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Their PG was legit.
  • Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    That PG was fucking good.
  • Options
    FreeChavezFreeChavez Member Posts: 3,223
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    dhdawg said:

I badly overreacted to saturday. Yes romar sucks but they just took #1 Michigan state to OT in Detroit

Doog logic to explain how a team traveling across the country shouldn't blow out a pac12 basketball program.

This is the exact reason Romar should be fired. Husky basketball is dead when we're playing scoreboard of a team we should beat(hell, even compete with) as cookies and cupcakes for the status of the program.

As evidenced by my 10 posts the entire basketball season, most people don't care. Even the people who used to care the most. That being said, this dooging on HH needs to stop.
  • Options
    dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited December 2015
    Jesus Christ dude. Everyone and their mother on this board agrees romar has to go. Just pointing out that Oakland may have not been such an awful loss
  • Options
    HuskyInAZHuskyInAZ Member Posts: 1,732
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Awesomes First Comment

dhdawg said:

Doog logic to explain how a team traveling across the country shouldn't blow out a pac12 basketball program.

This is the exact reason Romar should be fired. Husky basketball is dead when we're playing scoreboard of a team we should beat(hell, even compete with) as cookies and cupcakes for the status of the program.

As evidenced by my 10 posts the entire basketball season, most people don't care. Even the people who used to care the most. That being said, this dooging on HH needs to stop.
    Exactly where the hell is the "dooging"?
  • Options
    whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,433
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

dhdawg said:

Has Husky basketball ever been alive?
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Who cares if Oakland is good or not ... their PG is legit good and should they win the Horizon and make the NCAAs they'll be a 12 that has a really good shot of getting a win or two.

But the problems with Romar has nothing to do with winning or losing to Oakland. It's the fundamentals and growth within the program. How many years has there been over pursuit defensively that gets carved up by good guards? How about offenses run without a plan? The fundamentals are just flat out piss poor. That's the shit that bothers me. The rest? Fuck it.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

Who cares if Oakland is good or not ... their PG is legit good and should they win the Horizon and make the NCAAs they'll be a 12 that has a really good shot of getting a win or two.

But the problems with Romar has nothing to do with winning or losing to Oakland. It's the fundamentals and growth within the program. How many years has there been over pursuit defensively that gets carved up by good guards? How about offenses run without a plan? The fundamentals are just flat out piss poor. That's the shit that bothers me. The rest? Fuck it.

I agree, but still get a kick out of the fact that you defended Sark until 2013 and make excuse after excuse for Petersen yet are tough on Romar.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

Tequilla said:

I agree, but still get a kick out of the fact that you defended Sark until 2013 and make excuse after excuse for Petersen yet are tough on Romar.
    I was done with Sark after the shit sandwich duo he offered up in the Apple Cup and Vegas Bowl game against Boise St. I had reservations about him after watching how listless we were in person at LSU as well as the annual 3 game losing streak in 2012 highlighted by an absolute plungering in the desert. After losing to Boise, watching the talent on the field in person, Boise had no business winning that game (part of the reason why we smashed them 9 months later). But the whole thing was driven by how much better Boise was coached than UW. All 2013 did with the talent that we had was further cement that Sark wasn't the guy. It was also one of the reasons why I was one of the more vocal people about there needing to be a change throughout that season.

Romar's been with the UW program for 15 years or whatever at this point. We know what he is at this point. It'd be one thing if he was making the tournament every year and was getting bounced by the Sweet 16 each year. Then it's a case of what have you done for me lately, be careful what you wish for, and you better damn well get a better hire than you just let go (see Georgia). But when you aren't making the NCAAs, then what step back are you really talking about? And as for the levels of insanity surrounding the UW fan base, all the talk before the season was about how Dejonte Murray would be 1 and done. At this point, what exactly has he shown to even suggest that that is the case? Pure insanity.

Your opinion of Petersen driven by whether he won a game or two more this year is the type of myopic viewpoint that places like Vegas were built on. You see the win loss record and that's how you form your opinion. Anybody paying attention knew how this season was going to play out. We were going to struggle early but close strong. That happened. It'd have been nice to win another game or two ... but in the grand scheme of things, it's not materially changing what this team is next year going forward. If anything, the losses can serve to galvanize and focus the offseason more so than everybody acting like their shit doesn't stink because they were 9-4 when everybody thought that they'd win 4 or 5 games. Nothing motivates more than knowing that you can do better than what you did and wanting to turn that performance around.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

I was done with Sark after the shit sandwich duo he offered up in the Apple Cup and Vegas Bowl game against Boise St. I had reservations about him after watching how listless we were in person at LSU as well as the annual 3 game losing streak in 2012 highlighted by an absolute plungering in the desert. After losing to Boise, watching the talent on the field in person, Boise had no business winning that game (part of the reason why we smashed them 9 months later). But the whole thing was driven by how much better Boise was coached than UW. All 2013 did with the talent that we had was further cement that Sark wasn't the guy. It was also one of the reasons why I was one of the more vocal people about there needing to be a change throughout that season.

Romar's been with the UW program for 15 years or whatever at this point. We know what he is at this point. It'd be one thing if he was making the tournament every year and was getting bounced by the Sweet 16 each year. Then it's a case of what have you done for me lately, be careful what you wish for, and you better damn well get a better hire than you just let go (see Georgia). But when you aren't making the NCAAs, then what step back are you really talking about? And as for the levels of insanity surrounding the UW fan base, all the talk before the season was about how Dejonte Murray would be 1 and done. At this point, what exactly has he shown to even suggest that that is the case? Pure insanity.

Your opinion of Petersen driven by whether he won a game or two more this year is the type of myopic viewpoint that places like Vegas were built on. You see the win loss record and that's how you form your opinion. Anybody paying attention knew how this season was going to play out. We were going to struggle early but close strong. That happened. It'd have been nice to win another game or two ... but in the grand scheme of things, it's not materially changing what this team is next year going forward. If anything, the losses can serve to galvanize and focus the offseason more so than everybody acting like their shit doesn't stink because they were 9-4 when everybody thought that they'd win 4 or 5 games. Nothing motivates more than knowing that you can do better than what you did and wanting to turn that performance around.
    The last 4-5 sentences are why you can be so annoying. Save the pep talk bullshit.

And I specifically remember arguing with you on dawgman chat in 2012. You thought Sark would win 10+ in 2013.
  • Options
    FreeChavezFreeChavez Member Posts: 3,223
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    dhdawg said:

Jesus Christ dude. Everyone and their mother on this board agrees romar has to go. Just pointing out that Oakland may have not been such an awful loss

You are right that oakland may not be idaho state, but I just don't agree that I should be excited that a team traveled across the country and kicked our teeth in and the solace of some fans is that they seem pretty good for a shitty league and have a great player. I've seen far too many people on this board(and the old dm.c) that rip GU for all their bullshit and won't give them the time of day for being good. Now, we get blasted by a team who is from a no-name league and we're playing the excuse game. We have a 5th year PG who has played well, at least 2 ELITE frosh as well.

I don't expect a team to get smoked at home by a mid major. Sure, close lose maybe b/c the team is young, but as tequilla pointed out the massive errors going on throughout the court reiterate the massive failings of the program.

Me personally am tired of justifying losses at home as "not been such an awful loss". We used to NEVER lose at home(even against the best AZ teams) We used to have one of the most intimidating places in basketball to play based on style and atmosphere. Now it's an empty gym and the fans are happy we at least lost to a team who is kinda good.

at least this team has talented players on it.