Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Pushing the Pussy Envelope

GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
Standard Supporter

A Food Fight at Oberlin College

Last week, students at Oberlin made national headlines for casting complaints about bad dining-hall food––a perennial lament of collegians––as a problematic social-justice failure. Word spread via people who saw their behavior as political correctness run amok. The New York Post gleefully mocked the students “at Lena Dunham’s college.” On social media, many wondered if the controversy was a parody.

In fact, it is quite real.

The core student grievance, as reported by Clover Lihn Tran at The Oberlin Review: Bon Appétit, the food service vendor, “has a history of blurring the line between culinary diversity and cultural appropriation by modifying the recipes without respect for certain Asian countries’ cuisines. This uninformed representation of cultural dishes has been noted by a multitude of students, many of who have expressed concern over the gross manipulation of traditional recipes.”

Comments

• Options
    Fenderbender123Fenderbender123 Member Posts: 2,869
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Standard Supporter
    WTF is culinary diversity and cultural appropriation? I don't really listen to hip-hop, so please help me out here.

Also, how do you respect a cuisine? I always thought a cuisine was just food, and therefore incapable of having thoughts or feelings. But it's been awhile since I went to college, and I know science has come a long way since then.

Did Clover (likely a 3-leaf) give any consideration to the fact that a food service vendor is in business to make money, and that maybe they found out that they can make more money by modifying the recipes so that they actually have flavor, in which case she (I'm assuming it's a she based on how pretentious and bitchy her "grievance" is) should be complaining about their customers?
  • Options
    doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Hilarious. We're going to have to reclaim the hamburger, blue jeans, etc. from the rest of the world, it's only fair.
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,866
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    edited December 2015
    Yeah I saw that on Fagbook three or four days ago.

I can understand a student from Tokyo saying, "Gee, this teriyaki isn't the same as it back home, maybe they should change it." OTOH, you're in fucking Ohio. What exactly did you expect? To throw a hissy fit protest over it, carry it to this extent, and play martyr over it is stupid.

Some black organization there wants to be paid for protesting. I thought I was reading The ONion or something. Get a real job.
  • Options
    whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,457

I can understand a student from Tokyo saying, "それは家に戻って、多分彼らはそれを変更する必要がありますようジーは、この照り焼きは同じではありません。" OTOH, you're in fucking Ohio. What exactly did you expect? To throw a hissy fit protest over it, carry it to this extent, and play martyr over it is stupid.

Some black organization there wants to be paid for protesting. I thought I was reading The ONion or something. Get a real job.

FTFY
  • Options
    H_DH_D Member Posts: 6,098
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

I can understand a student from Tokyo saying, "それは家に戻って、多分彼らはそれを変更する必要がありますようジーは、この照り焼きは同じではありません。" OTOH, you're in fucking Ohio. What exactly did you expect? To throw a hissy fit protest over it, carry it to this extent, and play martyr over it is stupid.

FTFY
    Japanese Superiority Guy
  • Options
    HuskyJWHuskyJW Guest, Member Posts: 14,186
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    No shit.

First thing in cafeteria during Black History Month at the college I work at....fried chicken and watermelon.

As someone as white as the driven snow I LOL'ed....but part of me shook my head in absolute disbelief
  • Options
    doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper
    This is ridiculous, but it's the inevitable result of turning private college into a 50k/yr consumer good.
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,549
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    HuskyJW said:

No shit.

First thing in cafeteria during Black History Month at the college I work at....fried chicken and watermelon.

As someone as white as the driven snow I LOL'ed....but part of me shook my head in absolute disbelief

People act like blacks are the only race who eats fried chicken and watermelon (with waffles and hennessey). I call bullshit on that. They didn't invent that shit in Africa. It isn't "ethnic" food.
  • Options
    Fenderbender123Fenderbender123 Member Posts: 2,869
    Standard Supporter
    PurpleJ said:

HuskyJW said:

No shit.

People act like blacks are the only race who eats fried chicken and watermelon (with waffles and hennessey). I call bullshit on that. They didn't invent that shit in Africa. It isn't "ethnic" food.
    This. I mean, technically the only ethnic food we have for black people is black people themselves.

Is that too racist for this board? I'm still getting dialed in.
  • Options
    AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    日本人は照り焼きを食べていません。HTH。
  • Options
    AZDuck said:

日本人は照り焼きを食べていません。HTH。

Disagree. It's just a lot different.
  • Options
    AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    edited December 2015
    H_D said:

AZDuck said:

日本人は照り焼きを食べていません。HTH。

Put it this way - there's a shit-ton of "teriyaki" joints in the South Sound. Not one of them serves something that an actual Japanese person would recognize as Japanese food. Believe me, I'd be hitting up any semi-decent yakitori or izakaya every fucking night.

But glazed meat on rice? Pass.
  • Options
    AZDuck said:

H_D said:

AZDuck said:

日本人は照り焼きを食べていません。HTH。

Put it this way - there's a shit-ton of "teriyaki" joints in the South Sound. Not one of them serves something that an actual Japanese person would recognize as Japanese food. Believe me, I'd be hitting up any semi-decent yakitori or izakaya every fucking night.

But glazed meat on rice? Pass.
    No disagreement there. A decent yakiniku and/or shabu shabu restaurant would make a killing.
  • Options
    RoadTripRoadTrip Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,258
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Why weren't the Vietnamese included in this shit? They make Pho King Good food.