Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Sunshine Pumping at Oregon 247

2»

Comments

• Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

Tequilla said:

HuskyJW said:

Of course VA is going to play.

The entire season rests on Saturday night.

It's amazing that a program that has had Oregon's recent success can have such low standards. Everything in Duckland will be good if they beat UW.

In their 20 year period of success, what do the Ducks have to show for it? A few conference championships, couple Rose Bowls, Fiesta Bowl, 2 losses in the National Championship Game, a Heisman, and a 11 game winning streak over UW.

I would think that most long-time Oregon fans took relative joy in the downturn of UW and are able to recognize similar signs of decline in their program. If the blowout loss at home to a top of the conference contender at Utah wasn't enough to slam everybody back into reality that they are a bottom half of the conference team, the loss at home to lowly Washington State was. Recruiting has been down since Helfrich took over. Player development doesn't seem to be very good. General sloppiness and lack of killer instinct in the program are noticeable. Even as @AZDuck has alluded to, the reality of the situation is starting to hit home.

But the one thing that the Ducks still have to hold their hat onto as a dominant program is their streak against UW. Beating UW means that at minimum their biggest threat to their own rise back towards the top of the division (and considering that Stanford recruits/play so differently than them I do feel like Oregon views UW as the one long-term threat to their throne in the North) is kept below them for another year. It helps them in their recruiting pitches when going head to head against UW. So much of their recent identity is tied into the whole Duckade of Dominance and whatnot.

Should UW beat Oregon, the last of the Oregon façade starts crashing to the ground in a pile of rubble. The downfall isn't a question anymore, it's a question that is instead turned into how far they fall. It's the last shred that they have to hold onto right now that everything will be fine and that this is just a bump in the road.

I do expect that we'll get Oregon's best effort ... we better be prepared to match and exceed it.
    You would never write this bullshit if Petersen ever has a six year run like Chip Kelly and Helfrich (his first two years) have had. By your definition, what the fuck has UW accomplished other than the natty in 91? Don't you get tired of being such a dumbass homer all the time?
    You're right ... I'd be jumping up and down if UW had this run ... same with TCU. I don't take winning for granted. It's not easy to get to the highest level and even harder when you get there to maintain it.

The point that you're missing though is that it was a very subtle jab at Oregon because for all of the things that they have accomplished ... I tend to believe that the accomplishment they are most proud of is beating UW 11 straight years and that the fact that they don't have a National Championship eats at them because it's the one thing that they can't beat their chest about accomplishing that Washington still holds over their head. It ate at them for years the whole 1917 talk about winning a Rose Bowl before popping off. We still hold the win a national championship before popping off to which they routinely discredit by saying it was a shared title.

Oregon's accomplishments from 1994 to 2014 have been great. But when you pretty much have made it known that your season is a disappointment when you don't win conference/national championships every year, you do set yourself up for taking some shit for some of the accomplishments that you have had.
  • Options
    Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

HuskyJW said:

It's amazing that a program that has had Oregon's recent success can have such low standards. Everything in Duckland will be good if they beat UW.

In their 20 year period of success, what do the Ducks have to show for it? A few conference championships, couple Rose Bowls, Fiesta Bowl, 2 losses in the National Championship Game, a Heisman, and a 11 game winning streak over UW.

I would think that most long-time Oregon fans took relative joy in the downturn of UW and are able to recognize similar signs of decline in their program. If the blowout loss at home to a top of the conference contender at Utah wasn't enough to slam everybody back into reality that they are a bottom half of the conference team, the loss at home to lowly Washington State was. Recruiting has been down since Helfrich took over. Player development doesn't seem to be very good. General sloppiness and lack of killer instinct in the program are noticeable. Even as @AZDuck has alluded to, the reality of the situation is starting to hit home.

But the one thing that the Ducks still have to hold their hat onto as a dominant program is their streak against UW. Beating UW means that at minimum their biggest threat to their own rise back towards the top of the division (and considering that Stanford recruits/play so differently than them I do feel like Oregon views UW as the one long-term threat to their throne in the North) is kept below them for another year. It helps them in their recruiting pitches when going head to head against UW. So much of their recent identity is tied into the whole Duckade of Dominance and whatnot.

Should UW beat Oregon, the last of the Oregon façade starts crashing to the ground in a pile of rubble. The downfall isn't a question anymore, it's a question that is instead turned into how far they fall. It's the last shred that they have to hold onto right now that everything will be fine and that this is just a bump in the road.

I do expect that we'll get Oregon's best effort ... we better be prepared to match and exceed it.
    You would never write this bullshit if Petersen ever has a six year run like Chip Kelly and Helfrich (his first two years) have had. By your definition, what the fuck has UW accomplished other than the natty in 91? Don't you get tired of being such a dumbass homer all the time?
    You're right ... I'd be jumping up and down if UW had this run ... same with TCU. I don't take winning for granted. It's not easy to get to the highest level and even harder when you get there to maintain it.

The point that you're missing though is that it was a very subtle jab at Oregon because for all of the things that they have accomplished ... I tend to believe that the accomplishment they are most proud of is beating UW 11 straight years and that the fact that they don't have a National Championship eats at them because it's the one thing that they can't beat their chest about accomplishing that Washington still holds over their head. It ate at them for years the whole 1917 talk about winning a Rose Bowl before popping off. We still hold the win a national championship before popping off to which they routinely discredit by saying it was a shared title.

Oregon's accomplishments from 1994 to 2014 have been great. But when you pretty much have made it known that your season is a disappointment when you don't win conference/national championships every year, you do set yourself up for taking some shit for some of the accomplishments that you have had.

I will tell you that Duck fans find it more hilarious than anything that they have smashed UW for 11 straight years. ASU hasn't beaten Oregon since 2004. UCLA hasn't beaten Oregon since 2007. Before Saturday WAZZU hadn't beaten Oregon since 2006. Cal hasn't beaten Oregon since 2008. Before this year Utah hadn't beaten Oregon since 2003. Colorado hasn't beaten Oregon since 1998.

What I'm getting at is you think UW is still important to anyone outside of Seattle. It's not. It's the "Thank fucking Christ we? didn't lose to that shit team" team. UW is the shit litmus test.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Highly doubt that Duckade of Dominance shirts are going to be printed for any other team ...

Keep trying to convince yourself that we don't matter ... the reality is that we have and always will matter to little brother.
  • Options
    PurpleReignPurpleReign Member Posts: 5,457
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Unless we are competing for the PAC championship consistently, we really don't matter.
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,897
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Tequilla said:

HuskyJW said:

I agree for the most part. Their run, especially since 2007 or so, is impressive, and so was the way they help up the already departed Chimp as bait to basically weasel out of punishment. This team was nothing in the 60s, 70s, 80s, and early 90s.

Oregon may come out pumped, but they're a soft team. If the defense gets physical with them, advantage UW all the way. People are worried about Freeman, and rightly so, but UW will contain him for the most part.
  • Options
    dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited October 2015
    Tequilla said:

Highly doubt that Duckade of Dominance shirts are going to be printed for any other team ...

Keep trying to convince yourself that we don't matter ... the reality is that we have and always will matter to little brother.

"big brothers" don't get smashed 11 time in a row, is it 12 now? Whatever. Either way HTH
  • Options
    Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    dhdawg said:

Tequilla said:

"big brothers" don't get smashed 11 time in a row, is it 12 now? Whatever. Either way HTH
    The first six were consensual...