Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Comments

• Options
    UWhuskytskeetUWhuskytskeet Member Posts: 7,108
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    Those numbers are off by at least a factor of 10.

The US hasn't had personal income tax receipts that low since 1980.
  • Options
    HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,534
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    Thanks for pointing that out. Though the gist of the post is the same (Sanders wants to increase spending by $1.8 trillion per year and the nation doesn't have that money), I emailed the author for clarification.

Another thing to consider is that the deficit is abnormally low because of abnormally low interest rates on the debt. Should they normalize in the next few years (2018, 2019?), the deficit will increase significantly again due to higher debt service costs.

Those numbers are off by at least a factor of 10.

The US hasn't had personal income tax receipts that low since 1980.

• Options
    OZONEOZONE Member Posts: 2,510
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper
  • Options
    DontCallMeShirleyDontCallMeShirley Member Posts: 283
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment Photogenic
    OZONE said:

I'm sure a guy with his own wordpress account is an expert on US economics and what would happen if tax rates were increased for the top 1%

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/17/business/putting-numbers-to-a-tax-increase-for-the-rich.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=first-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0

Yes. Because if you raise taxes the only thing that happens is the government gets more money.

"All else being equal".

As if the NY Times as anymore credibility than a Wordpress blogger.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 102,411
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Shirley he is correct
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    I did receive an email back from the author and he said the chart is from the IRS.

I guess that kind of reinforces the argument that the government invariably screws up / gets things wrong. Shocking I know, wiw.
  • Options
    2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    HFNY said:

I did receive an email back from the author and he said the chart is from the IRS.

I guess that kind of reinforces the argument that the government invariably screws up / gets things wrong. Shocking I know, wiw.

And now that page can't be found when you click the link. At least they pulled the page when they realized they were full of shit.

Sometimes there's a common sense factor.... That surely failed here.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    FIFY
    2001400ex said:

HFNY said:

And now that page can't be found when you click the link. At least they pulled the page when they realized they were the IRS is full of shit.

Sometimes there's a common sense factor.... That The IRS surely failed here.
  • Options
    HFNY said:

FIFY

2001400ex said:

HFNY said:

And now that page can't be found when you click the link. At least they pulled the page when they realized they were the IRS is full of shit.

As did the people who wrote the article. Clearly everything you read on the internet is true.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    Of course they did because their source (the IRS) was actually wrong.

That only reinforces the idea that individuals are nimbler and faster to change / react to errors than the hulking Federal Government....but you want to raise nominal rates back to 91% as a reward for Federal incompetence?
    2001400ex said:

HFNY said:

FIFY

2001400ex said:

HFNY said:

As did the people who wrote the article. Clearly everything you read on the internet is true.
  • Options
    HFNY said:

That only reinforces the idea that individuals are nimbler and faster to change / react to errors than the hulking Federal Government....but you want to raise nominal rates back to 91% as a reward for Federal incompetence?

2001400ex said:

HFNY said:

FIFY

2001400ex said:

HFNY said:

You talk about government competence and think corporations are competent. How cute.

Not to mention that I haven't seen a link to the IRS determination, so I can't see that as being true either.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    I never said that because we were talking about the individual tax code and individuals spending, saving, or investing vs. government but yes, businesses are far more competent that the Federal Government. More competition, more at stake (one's own money rather than OPM), and more challenging.

Furthering my point, the Return On Equity of State Owned Enterprises around the world pales in comparison to that of private sector businesses in their specific countries. I think most here would say ROE is a good metric for competency.

But if you really really really want to increase tax revenues from the individual tax code, you should start with the home mortgage interest deduction. People should only be able to deduct the interest they pay on their primary home and ending it for 2nd(+) homes would likely bring in close to $100 billion over 10 years:

bloomberg.com/news/articles/2013-07-23/second-home-deduction-future-depends-on-congress-using-it
    2001400ex said:

HFNY said:

2001400ex said:

HFNY said:

FIFY

2001400ex said:

HFNY said:

You talk about government competence and think corporations are competent. How cute.

Not to mention that I haven't seen a link to the IRS determination, so I can't see that as being true either.
  • Options
    HuskyJWHuskyJW Guest, Member Posts: 14,198

Corporate efficiency beats gubment efficiency rather easily. Say 34-17

You mean like Volkswagen ;)
  • Options
    DontCallMeShirleyDontCallMeShirley Member Posts: 283
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment Photogenic
    edited October 2015
    HuskyJW said:

Corporate efficiency beats gubment efficiency rather easily. Say 34-17

You mean like Volkswagen ;)
    No. Like GE and FEDEX ;)

Also, I know you're being sarkastic, but with their recent issues, Volkswagen is more efficient than the government and doesn't have the luxury of printing money or robbing their customers at gun point to solve their problems.
  • Options
    UWhuskytskeetUWhuskytskeet Member Posts: 7,108
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    HFNY said:

I used the same website that they did. The guy used the wrong chart and was either retarded or intentionally misleading.
  • Options
    HFNY said:

I never said that because we were talking about the individual tax code and individuals spending, saving, or investing vs. government but yes, businesses are far more competent that the Federal Government. More competition, more at stake (one's own money rather than OPM), and more challenging.

Furthering my point, the Return On Equity of State Owned Enterprises around the world pales in comparison to that of private sector businesses in their specific countries. I think most here would say ROE is a good metric for competency.

But if you really really really want to increase tax revenues from the individual tax code, you should start with the home mortgage interest deduction. People should only be able to deduct the interest they pay on their primary home and ending it for 2nd(+) homes would likely bring in close to $100 billion over 10 years:

bloomberg.com/news/articles/2013-07-23/second-home-deduction-future-depends-on-congress-using-it

2001400ex said:

HFNY said:

2001400ex said:

HFNY said:

FIFY

2001400ex said:

HFNY said:

What does the profit of state owned enterprises have to do with America?

Here's the thing. I don't necessarily agree we should raise the top tax rate, I was using that as an example where you can raise rates and have zero negative effect to the economy. You do bring up a point on how I'd do it.

I'd try to simply the code and get rid of meaningless deductions. It's not only second home interest, I deduct my toy hauler interest. Then I'd clarify what you can deduct as "business expenses". I own a small business on the side, well I deduct my cell phone and a car lease through there. I know many people that have sheep and chickens so they can deduct their home and other things as a farm. That's all legal.

So I'd reduce the tax code, and try to simply some of these things. Then on corporations I'd reduce similar loopholes. Conservatives complain that our tax rate on corporations is too high. Well it's 35% but because of deductions, the average effective rate is actually under 25%.

We aren't going to tax our way out of this, those changes might be $100 to 200 billion, with a deficit of $400 billion and debt of $18 trillion. Then we need to look at the expenditure side. I think we need to cut military, and look at a lot of programs and see where we can be more efficient.

Then the main thing that will drive this home, we need consumer confidence to go up. So..... If both sides were serious about reducing the deficit, they'd actually agree on shit and promote the fact they did agree. But our news cycle is running on the 5% of both sides that but partisan bullshit. So they don't report when Congress comes together and agrees, they only report on partisan bullshit and arguments to rally the hate in their base. Both left and right wing.
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,103
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    I hate this thread
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    My point about ROE is that private businesses, whether in the USA or around the world, are inherently more competent than government. Regardless and beyond that, you make some reason points.

Due to the sequester and winding down in Afghanistan, defense spending has dropped 4 years in a row:

marketinfogroup.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/DOD_Spending.png

But what about entitlements and cash transfers? Medicare, Medicaid, Social Security, Social Security Disability, and Welfare (including food stamps) will account for an astounding 63% of Federal Spending:

usgovernmentspending.com/piechart_2016_US_fed

Despite the ACA, Medicare is still a disaster and the number of people on Social Security Disability is at a record high:

cnsnews.com/sites/default/files/images/DISABILITY-BENEFICIARIES-PHOTO_0.jpg

Also, about 50% of health care spending happens in the last 6 month's of a person's life (when they are on Medicare) so the economic multiplier (aka bang for the buck) of that government spending is god awful.

So are you also interested in reducing Federal Spending on entitlements since that's where 63% of the money is?
    2001400ex said:

HFNY said:

2001400ex said:

HFNY said:

2001400ex said:

HFNY said:

FIFY

2001400ex said:

HFNY said:

What does the profit of state owned enterprises have to do with America?

Here's the thing. I don't necessarily agree we should raise the top tax rate, I was using that as an example where you can raise rates and have zero negative effect to the economy. You do bring up a point on how I'd do it.

I'd try to simply the code and get rid of meaningless deductions. It's not only second home interest, I deduct my toy hauler interest. Then I'd clarify what you can deduct as "business expenses". I own a small business on the side, well I deduct my cell phone and a car lease through there. I know many people that have sheep and chickens so they can deduct their home and other things as a farm. That's all legal.

So I'd reduce the tax code, and try to simply some of these things. Then on corporations I'd reduce similar loopholes. Conservatives complain that our tax rate on corporations is too high. Well it's 35% but because of deductions, the average effective rate is actually under 25%.

We aren't going to tax our way out of this, those changes might be $100 to 200 billion, with a deficit of $400 billion and debt of $18 trillion. Then we need to look at the expenditure side. I think we need to cut military, and look at a lot of programs and see where we can be more efficient.

Then the main thing that will drive this home, we need consumer confidence to go up. So..... If both sides were serious about reducing the deficit, they'd actually agree on shit and promote the fact they did agree. But our news cycle is running on the 5% of both sides that but partisan bullshit. So they don't report when Congress comes together and agrees, they only report on partisan bullshit and arguments to rally the hate in their base. Both left and right wing.