Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

"Targeting rule" gets worse

Comments

• Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    I can't wait for the first ejection overturned by the replay booth...especially when the ejection will be warranted.

They're trying to do the right thing here, but it's going to be a clusterfuck for 2013. It will settle down after that.
  • Options
    nihilistdawgnihilistdawg Member Posts: 226
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Definitely agree. Does this mean they will now review every targeting flag that is thrown? Seriously, the 730 kickoffs will not get over until after midnight if so.

Targeting flags, in both the NFL and NCAA, should be reviewed. Booth looks, if it looks like a bad call, buzz the official. No need for the five minutes with the headset...just buzz down and tell them to pull the flag. Not that hard.

Then again, this is the NCAA we're talking about
  • Options
    Reviewing a 15 yard penalty is a dumb idea.

Reviewing an automatic ejection is probably a good idea. You usually don't see more than one targeting flag per game after all.

I suspect that this is actually going to backfire. Officials will be less willing to throw targeting flags for plays that aren't clearly obvious.
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,839
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

Definitely agree. Does this mean they will now review every targeting flag that is thrown? Seriously, the 730 kickoffs will not get over until after midnight if so.

Targeting flags, in both the NFL and NCAA, should be reviewed. Booth looks, if it looks like a bad call, buzz the official. No need for the five minutes with the headset...just buzz down and tell them to pull the flag. Not that hard.

Damn, it's going to suck trying to get from my living room to my bedroom that late at night. It would really suck if I hated money and renewed my tickets this year.
  • Options
    TommySQCTommySQC Member Posts: 5,813
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

Reviewing an automatic ejection is probably a good idea. You usually don't see more than one targeting flag per game after all.

I suspect that this is actually going to backfire. Officials will be less willing to throw targeting flags for plays that aren't clearly obvious.

that's a bad thing?
  • Options
    TommySQC said:

that's a bad thing?
    For the NCAA's desired outcome, it's bad.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

• Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,173
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Damn, it's going to suck trying to get from my living room to my bedroom that late at night. It would really suck if I hated money and renewed my tickets this year.
    It gets harder and harder not to pass out drunk in front of the TV with these long night games
  • Options

TommySQC said:

that's a bad thing?
    For the NCAA's desired outcome, it's bad.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

is nothing sacred anymore? Everything is becoming like soccer...

• Options
    WedgwoodDawgWedgwoodDawg Member Posts: 184
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Testing 1 5 Up Votes
    I have an honest question about this. So defensive players lay these thunderous, and incredibly awesome hits on the offensive players and get called for a penalty for targeting or hitting a "defenseless" player, or leading with the head.

What happens if the defensive player simply wraps up the offensive player during this hit? Does a defensive player have carte blanche to target offensive players as long as they wrap up?
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,925
    Founders Club

It gets harder and harder not to pass out drunk in front of the TV with these long night games
    This could serve as the slogan for Larry Scott's new innovative network
  • Options

I have an honest question about this. So defensive players lay these thunderous, and incredibly awesome hits on the offensive players and get called for a penalty for targeting or hitting a "defenseless" player, or leading with the head.

What happens if the defensive player simply wraps up the offensive player during this hit? Does a defensive player have carte blanche to target offensive players as long as they wrap up?

Yes. Problem solved.

• Options

You clearly haven't followed UW safety play over the last 10 years.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,925
    Founders Club
    TommySQC said:

You clearly haven't followed UW safety play over the last 10 13 years.
    fixed that for you
  • Options

TommySQC said:

fixed that for you
    POTW.
  • Options
    HillsboroDuckHillsboroDuck Member Posts: 9,186
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker

TommySQC said:

fixed that for you
    POTW.
    Blackie approves