Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Kepler-452b

DardanusDardanus Member Posts: 2,623
Is the name of a planet. A planet similar to Earth.

http://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasa-kepler-mission-discovers-bigger-older-cousin-to-earth

NASA announced the discovery of the first near-Earth-size planet in the “habitable zone” around a sun-like star.

For you barbarians, the "habitable zone" is the area around a star thought to be able to sustain life. Not too hot, not too cold. Ideal for liquid water and all that good stuff.

This discovery was made with the Kepler telescope, whose sole purpose is to discover planets outside our solar system. Finding planets is extremely difficult because planets do not emit light.

What a cool day for NASA, man.

Comments

• sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208
    Pics of the sunbathing chicks or it's all a lie.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    Dardanus said:

http://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasa-kepler-mission-discovers-bigger-older-cousin-to-earth

NASA announced the discovery of the first near-Earth-size planet in the “habitable zone” around a sun-like star.

For you barbarians, the "habitable zone" is the area around a star thought to be able to sustain life. Not too hot, not too cold. Ideal for liquid water and all that good stuff.

This discovery was made with the Kepler telescope, whose sole purpose is to discover planets outside our solar system. Finding planets is extremely difficult because planets do not emit light.

Poont of clarification, it's just terrestrial planets that don't emit light, correct? I was under the impression that gaseous planets like Jupiter put off a good deal of light, that's why Jupiter's been dominating the skyline of late, no? I could be way off here, Pluto was still a planet last I studied any astronomy.
  • doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    We just need more time to fuck it up.
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,491 Standard Supporter
    It's no LV-426
  • DardanusDardanus Member Posts: 2,623
    dnc said:

Dardanus said:

Poont of clarification, it's just terrestrial planets that don't emit light, correct? I was under the impression that gaseous planets like Jupiter put off a good deal of light, that's why Jupiter's been dominating the skyline of late, no? I could be way off here, Pluto was still a planet last I studied any astronomy.
    Planets reflect light, but do not emit it. Gas giants are large and have more surface area to reflect light, but it ultimately comes from the star.

So Jupiter is bright because it's large, and when it's close to us it reflects a lot of light relative to smaller planets that may be closer to us (Mars, Venus).

The way the Kepler telescope discovers planets is by measuring the decrease of a star's brightness when a planet passes in front of it. Just like an eclipse, when a planet passes in front of a star, the star's brightness decreases.

It's a very small change because the planet is tiny compared to the star. This is why it's a difficult task.

note: IrishDoog (RIP) would be sweating bullets reading this poast
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    Dardanus said:

dnc said:

Dardanus said:

Planets reflect light, but do not emit it. Gas giants are large and have more surface area to reflect light, but it ultimately comes from the star.

So Jupiter is bright because it's large, and when it's close to us it reflects a lot of light relative to smaller planets that may be closer to us (Mars, Venus).

The way the Kepler telescope discovers planets is by measuring the decrease of a star's brightness when a planet passes in front of it. Just like an eclipse, when a planet passes in front of a star, the star's brightness decreases.

It's a very small change because the planet is tiny compared to the star. This is why it's a difficult task.

Gracias senor

It's no LV-426

Thank Allah.
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,491 Standard Supporter
    Dardanus said:

It's no LV-426

Thank Allah.
    Fhloston Paradise more your speed?

Dardanus said:

It's no LV-426

Thank Allah.
    Certainly better. I would also accept Planet Spaceball.
  • DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,549 Founders Club
    Dardanus said:

Dardanus said:

It's no LV-426

Thank Allah.
    Comb the desert.
  • sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208
    Dardanus said:

dnc said:

Dardanus said:

so... it's kinda like visualizing that cute chick naked?
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    The species is over.
  • AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    Doogles said:

Dardanus said:

Dardanus said:

It's no LV-426

Thank Allah.
    Comb the desert.