Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Mark Cuban proposes 20-team playoff system

Comments

• Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,285
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    The NBA playoffs are already too long, so why not add four more teams into the mix?
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I used to like Cuban, but over time he's gotten really annoying. Yeah Mark, I wonder why you want a few more teams in the playoffs?
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    The NBA shouldn't even have 20 teams.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I like how Cuban tries to play it off as being good for the league and helping the tanking situation. Like Philadelphia isn't going to tank because now 20 teams are allowed. Other than Denver, Portland, and maybe Minnesota, there really aren't that many teams that seem to be entering the season with the goal of tanking.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,816
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    If you're going to expand the playoffs in a way to discourage tanking, then the way to do it is to isolate the teams that suck, make them play in a playoff setting, put some protections in for the teams that REALLY suck to ensure that they have the best chance of getting the top picks ... but let them fight it out on the court. That way instead of having teams trading away their players at the trade deadline, they perhaps could be looking to add players.
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Tequilla said:

If you're going to expand the playoffs in a way to discourage tanking, then the way to do it is to isolate the teams that suck, make them play in a playoff setting, put some protections in for the teams that REALLY suck to ensure that they have the best chance of getting the top picks ... but let them fight it out on the court. That way instead of having teams trading away their players at the trade deadline, they perhaps could be looking to add players.

TL, DR: Contract the tanking teams
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,418
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    How about a weekly Friday Sacrifice for the NBA?
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,478
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    What if the NBA had some sort of old school big ten rose bowl like rule where you couldn't pick in the top 3 2 years in a row?

What's the point of tanking then?
  • Options
    FreeChavezFreeChavez Member Posts: 3,223
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    EPL has it right. The sixers should have been in the d-league 3 years ago, and the stampede or whatever the hell other NBDL team called up to the big show.

You want to rid the league of tanking, start relegating teams who finish in the bottom 4 for multiple years in a row.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

EPL has it right. The sixers should have been in the d-league 3 years ago, and the stampede or whatever the hell other NBDL team called up to the big show.

You want to rid the league of tanking, start relegating teams who finish in the bottom 4 for multiple years in a row.

Disagree. Soccer is a different beast. There is no balance system in place, no salary cap, no draft. The best teams in soccer are pretty much the same, year after year. You get the best young players by giving them the most money. You can buy players from other teams for money.

Most the D League teams are affiliates of NBA teams. Those teams don't play in NBA type arenas, etc. The other problem would be teams like the Sonics after Durant's rookie year would be relegated. I doubt the NBA or fans would like it if Wiggins wasn't playing in the NBA next year. The only way this system would work would be to create 4-6 more real franchises. Honestly, I think it would water down the product and wouldn't solve anything.
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,940
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    edited July 2015

Disagree. Soccer is a different beast. There is no balance system in place, no salary cap, no draft. The best teams in soccer are pretty much the same, year after year. You get the best young players by giving them the most money. You can buy players from other teams for money.

Most the D League teams are affiliates of NBA teams. Those teams don't play in NBA type arenas, etc. The other problem would be teams like the Sonics after Durant's rookie year would be relegated. I doubt the NBA or fans would like it if Wiggins wasn't playing in the NBA next year. The only way this system would work would be to create 4-6 more real franchises. Honestly, I think it would water down the product and wouldn't solve anything.
    I don't know a lot about soccer economics besides the high transfer fees, but there's probably some way to make it work, not that it will ever happen. It's not like there are basketball leagues ready to poach Durant or Dwight Howard for $70,000,000.

The bottom 10 teams are already just horrible to watch. I watched the butt Nuggets play the Kings once and it was painful. At least with an incentive not to go 17-65, the teams would try.
  • Options
    doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Time to relegate the M's.
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,630
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    They should just cancel the regular season already.
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,630
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    And relegation would never work with the NBA franchise system. Same reason MLSFS won't do it.