Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Why does Jordan get a pass for '95?

Comments

• Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

Doogles said:

And to think I almost didn't click "post discussion"

I've moved to a much seedier dive and have switched from bloodies to Jameson and headlands ipa.

I'll keep drinking while the slap fight ensues. LBJ is underrated by this board, but Jordan kept hall of famers from wearing rings. My initial comment was more to the point that Jordan was beaten in his prime and didn't make the finals. Any Houston fans can also call Bullshit on the claim Olajuwon only won bc Jordan wasn't there. He was, he just missed the dance.

LBJ is not underrated. He's one of the best of all time. Trying to compare him to Jordan is FS though. It's not even close.
    Disagree.

There isn't one objective measure to put LeBron above Jordan. Maybe LeBron will finish with more regular season MVP's if you want to stoop that low. But MJ had Pippen and Phil Jackson, LeBron had to play for Mike Brown, yadda, yadda. Facts are facts, boobie lips. If you want to argue that LeBron is better than Bird and Magic, I would agree.
    Actually there are quite a few. That's the fucking point.

Jordan has 6-0.

LeBron has everything else. Against better competition.

If you think the 80s-90s NBA was better than the current version, go light yourself on fire.

This isn't even a debate.
    LeBron might end up with more regular season MVP's. That's about it. The competition one isn't cut and dry. Top to bottom the league is much better now, but there were some pretty stacked teams in the 80's and 90's.
    Yes it is.

The skill level in the modern era is at an all-time high.

The athleticism is at an all-time high.

What are these stacked teams you are referring to, besides the aging Lakers/Celtics dynasties, the Pistons that stomped MJ until they fell apart, and MJ's own Bulls?
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,809
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

The difference between Jordan and Lebron is Jordan would have murdered the Mavericks franchise if they tried to guard him with JJ Barea.

If you were going to have a 5 on 5 game of all the NBA greats in their prime and your life was on the line you'd pick Jordan first every time. It doesn't matter if anyone is ever a better basketball player. You'd pick him first because you wouldn't want to piss him off. That's why he's the GOAT.

Thanks for ruining a perfectly good troll job

I'd like to see Jordan take it to the rim against Bill Russell though
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,477
    Swaye's Wigwam

Doogles said:

I've moved to a much seedier dive and have switched from bloodies to Jameson and headlands ipa.

I'll keep drinking while the slap fight ensues. LBJ is underrated by this board, but Jordan kept hall of famers from wearing rings. My initial comment was more to the point that Jordan was beaten in his prime and didn't make the finals. Any Houston fans can also call Bullshit on the claim Olajuwon only won bc Jordan wasn't there. He was, he just missed the dance.

LBJ is not underrated. He's one of the best of all time. Trying to compare him to Jordan is FS though. It's not even close.
    Disagree.

There isn't one objective measure to put LeBron above Jordan. Maybe LeBron will finish with more regular season MVP's if you want to stoop that low. But MJ had Pippen and Phil Jackson, LeBron had to play for Mike Brown, yadda, yadda. Facts are facts, boobie lips. If you want to argue that LeBron is better than Bird and Magic, I would agree.

Jordan has 6-0.

If you think the 80s-90s NBA was better than the current version, go light yourself on fire.

LeBron might end up with more regular season MVP's. That's about it. The competition one isn't cut and dry. Top to bottom the league is much better now, but there were some pretty stacked teams in the 80's and 90's.
    Yes it is.

What are these stacked teams you are referring to, besides the aging Lakers/Celtics dynasties, the Pistons that stomped MJ until they fell apart, and MJ's own Bulls?
    They were actual teams vz. Individuals.

I recently watched my buddy play an international rugby friendly at kezar stadium. It was a collection of nor cal Allstars(some are USA eagles) vs. the best collegiate team in England.

Although clearly more talented/athletic the all star adults got their shit pushed in by the regimented young bucks.

Being a team matters, today's nba (minus the spurs) is a group of individuals and not a team. That's the problem in comparing eras.
  • Options
    Doogles said:

Doogles said:

Disagree.

Jordan has 6-0.

Yes it is.

I recently watched my buddy play an international rugby friendly at kezar stadium. It was a collection of nor cal Allstars(some are USA eagles) vs. the best collegiate team in England.

Although clearly more talented/athletic the all star adults got their shit pushed in by the regimented young bucks.

Being a team matters, today's nba (minus the spurs) is a group of individuals and not a team. That's the problem in comparing eras.
    You realize that this notion of superior teams/supporting casts back in the day supports the LeBron is better than Jordan argument, right?
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Doogles said:

Doogles said:

Disagree.

Jordan has 6-0.

Yes it is.

The Warriors aren't a team?
  • Options

Doogles said:

Doogles said:

Disagree.

Jordan has 6-0.

Yes it is.

The Warriors aren't a team?
    What about RoadDawgs's Hawks???
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Doogles said:

Doogles said:

Disagree.

Jordan has 6-0.

Yes it is.

You realize that this notion of superior teams/supporting casts back in the day supports the LeBron is better than Jordan argument, right?
    You realize my whole angle this entire thread has been towards narrowing the gap between the two, right?
  • Options
    Doogles said:

Doogles said:

Doogles said:

Disagree.

Jordan has 6-0.

Yes it is.

You realize my whole angle this entire thread has been towards narrowing the gap between the two, right?
    The gap isn't narrowing. It's widening. In LeBron's favor.

HTH
  • Options
    SevenElevenSevenEleven Member Posts: 318
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

I will argue that claiming the East has been so bad all 5 years is dooging at its finest. Winners win and Lebron owns the East.

Same folks claim the pac 12 doesn't suck even though oregon wins it rather easily

Jordan beat a shitty West every year other than Phoenix

Why not just let the results stand? Jordan doesn't get blamed for 95 because he was playing baseball.

Pippen claiming he was a good as Lebron is what deserves shit

I might be a homer to some degree, but the 1992 Blazers with Drexler, Porter, Kersey, and Robinson has been long considered one of the best NBA teams in history NOT to win a championship.
    The Jazz had two hall of famers and won 64 and 62 games the two years they made the finals.
    Everybody had two hall of famers during that era.
    Hakeem and Clyde (later charles)
    Barkley and kevin johnson
    Drexler Ainge
    Payton Kemp

NBA hall of fame doesnt mean shit

There's a reason stockton and malone never won shit. They were longevity stat-compilers, but not really all that outstanding. On top of that, they were just about ready to collect their social security checks when Jordan faced hem in the finals.

• Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,282
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker

I will argue that claiming the East has been so bad all 5 years is dooging at its finest. Winners win and Lebron owns the East.

Same folks claim the pac 12 doesn't suck even though oregon wins it rather easily

Why not just let the results stand? Jordan doesn't get blamed for 95 because he was playing baseball.

I might be a homer to some degree, but the 1992 Blazers with Drexler, Porter, Kersey, and Robinson has been long considered one of the best NBA teams in history NOT to win a championship.
    The Jazz had two hall of famers and won 64 and 62 games the two years they made the finals.
    Drexler Ainge
    Payton Kemp

There's a reason stockton and malone never won shit. They were longevity stat-compilers, but not really all that outstanding. On top of that, they were just about ready to collect their social security checks when Jordan faced hem in the finals.

WTF'd for listing Ainge and Kemp as hall of famers. Kemp may have been if cocaine hadn't have won. Ainge? You do realize he spent most of his career as a pretty good backup PG, right?
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited July 2015
    I'm sorry, but Malone and Stockton are one of the best tandoms in the nba. It's a testament to Jordan to keep them at bay, but to say they aren't HOF worthy is Laoghaire

Edit: laughable
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Drexler Ainge
    Payton Kemp

WTF'd for listing Ainge and Kemp as hall of famers. Kemp may have been if cocaine hadn't have won. Ainge? You do realize he spent most of his career as a pretty good backup PG, right?
    Kemp was the best forward in the league
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Drexler Ainge
    Payton Kemp

Kemp was a beast. I choose him over barkley. People were scared of him. He was what Blake Griffin dreams of being.
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary

Doogles said:

NBA TV had a great doc on the Rockets that took the Jordan issue on head on. As any viewer of ESPN Classic knows, the Rockets had struggled in the West during Jordan's first three. For one, they couldn't beat the Sonics. Even in 94 when they won their first title Seattle was the #1 seed. (fuck you Mutumbo)

They showed Jordan retiring and coming back and addressed his brief 1995 season. That was the year Hakeem abused the shit out of Shaq in a sweep.

The Rockets pointed to how they owned Jordan during the regular season through out those years -a true but meaningless fact.

Would have made a good finals at some point.

Jordan never beat a NBA champion after the first one against the Lakers with Magic and everyone hurt.

Not like beating a 5 time champ like the Spurs

Carry on
    When you win every year, it's hard to beat another champ.
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary

Doogles said:

Disagree.

5-4 >>> 2-4, but still.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,977
    edited July 2015
    Kemp had about 3 great years.

The best power forward of the 90's was Malone and it's beyond FS to suggest otherwise.

Edit: one could suggest Barkley too - but Chuck was a hybrid big ass freak who played all over the floor.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited July 2015
    Doogles said:

Drexler Ainge
    Payton Kemp

Kemp was a beast. I choose him over barkley. People were scared of him. He was what Blake Griffin dreams of being.
    Blake Griffin will end up a better player than Shawn Kemp. Sonics fans will disagree and Kemp was obviously good, but he's been overrated over time. If you use playoff success, Kemp only had one year he made it out of the 2nd round. Griffin is a lot better as a playmaker. Kemp was a little better rebounder and defender. It's a close call, but I would take Griffin if forced to choose.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Barkley > Malone > Kemp.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

Doogles said:

Drexler Ainge
    Payton Kemp

Blake Griffin will end up a better player than Shawn Kemp. Sonics fans will disagree and Kemp was obviously good, but he's been overrated over time. If you use playoff success, Kemp only had one year he made it out of the 2nd round. Griffin is a lot better as a playmaker. Kemp was a little better rebounder and defender. It's a close call, but I would take Griffin if forced to choose.
    If the steps Griffin took at the end of this year hold, then you'll be right. I think it was just a hot streak though, and if it was, no chance his peak will exceed Kemp's peak. Griffin's career should easily best Kemp's career, because cocaine.