Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Gary Player on Chambers Bay: 'One of the worst golf courses I've ever seen'

1235»

Comments

• Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,930
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Tequilla said:

So you're saying that the US Open doesn't have brown every year?

Yes, this year's Open was more brown than normal. But if you go back and look at Pinehurst last year or really any recent US Open that wasn't influenced by rain, you'll find a browning out on every course.

I've watched enough over the years to say with some authority that this course was way more brown than most. I don't remember any at the one in Philly.
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,930
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Q for golf superiority guys: Can Sahalee host a US Open? I know they had the PGA in the late 90s and were supposed to have it again. I know the USO has more prestige (higher standards?). Are there other courses in that area that are capable?

Keep responses under 600 words..you know who you are...
  • Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

Q for golf superiority guys: Can Sahalee host a US Open? I know they had the PGA in the late 90s and were supposed to have it again. I know the USO has more prestige (higher standards?). Are there other courses in that area that are capable?

Tumble Creek

Newcastle

Washington National

No idea if/how any of them would work logistically. I don't think any of them are TUFF enough for the US Open. Maybe the PGA Championship though. At least they all have tress and look like the PNW.
  • Options
    puppylove_sugarsteelpuppylove_sugarsteel Member Posts: 9,133
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    edited June 2015
    I thought this was Gary Payton talking. When I looked closer and realized it was a Gary Player quote I tuned out. Who cares what he thinks
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,816
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

Tequilla said:

So you're saying that the US Open doesn't have brown every year?

Yes, this year's Open was more brown than normal. But if you go back and look at Pinehurst last year or really any recent US Open that wasn't influenced by rain, you'll find a browning out on every course.

I've watched enough over the years to say with some authority that this course was way more brown than most. I don't remember any at the one in Philly.
    No doubt ... the fescue definitely goes a long way here. The further you get off the fairways, that long fescue gets brown in a hurry. Anybody that plays regularly at the Home Course would know what I'm talking about.

One of the reasons that Merion stayed so green was because they had an abundance of rain the week of the Open that caused some weather delays during the tournament. As a general rule, the USGA pretty much stops watering the course during the tournament comparatively to normal ... any water they apply is to just make sure that the course doesn't get out of hands. They are very much on record as saying this.
  • Options

I've never been to Sahalee so it would be hard for me to comment. Given that the PGA hasn't come back since they were here makes me think that it wasn't the best of sites. Other thing that comes into play is that it is a private facility and a lot of times the members don't want to go down the path of essentially closing the course down in preparation of the event that is needed.
  • Options

Tumble Creek

Newcastle

Washington National

No idea if/how any of them would work logistically. I don't think any of them are TUFF enough for the US Open. Maybe the PGA Championship though. At least they all have tress and look like the PNW.
    Tumble Creek regularly hosts qualifiers for USGA events (sectional qualifying this year) ... too far out of the way without a lodging infrastructure IMO to be able to host.

I haven't played Newcastle so it's hard for me to say whether or not it is up to par for a USGA event.

Washington National is probably best for college level events. It's not an easy course (probably too easy for the professionals though). Biggest marks against it is that it is built in areas around a housing complex with a design that isn't the most fan friendly.

Gold Mountain's Olympic Course has hosted some USGA events. It's probably like Tumble Creek in the sense that it is too far out of the way without the underlying infrastructure to host a major championship. It's definitely in the Top 3-5 courses in the area.

The Home Course hosted a USGA championship last year, local qualifying for the US Open this year, and was a companion course to Chambers when it hosted the US Amateur in 2010. It's a solid course and could very easily test some of the better players (it's regularly used as a qualifying course). The course is generally fairly open and could handle probably a medium sized event. However, given its proximity to Chambers, there's no way it would be selected ahead of Chambers for a US Open.

Of all the courses I've played in the greater Seattle area, there's no question that Chambers is the best by far. I'll play TPC Snoqualmie Ridge later this summer and it hosts a Senior's event. From what I know about the course, I don't think it has the teeth to be a USGA site.

It's important to remember that the USGA generally wants a winning score for the US Open to be somewhere around par and for it not to turn into a birdie fest. When evaluating the merits of a course for a USGA event, the course needs to have a number of holes where par is considered a very good score.
  • Options
    Tequilla said:

Tumble Creek

Newcastle

Washington National

Tumble Creek regularly hosts qualifiers for USGA events (sectional qualifying this year) ... too far out of the way without a lodging infrastructure IMO to be able to host.

I haven't played Newcastle so it's hard for me to say whether or not it is up to par for a USGA event.

Washington National is probably best for college level events. It's not an easy course (probably too easy for the professionals though). Biggest marks against it is that it is built in areas around a housing complex with a design that isn't the most fan friendly.

Gold Mountain's Olympic Course has hosted some USGA events. It's probably like Tumble Creek in the sense that it is too far out of the way without the underlying infrastructure to host a major championship. It's definitely in the Top 3-5 courses in the area.

The Home Course hosted a USGA championship last year, local qualifying for the US Open this year, and was a companion course to Chambers when it hosted the US Amateur in 2010. It's a solid course and could very easily test some of the better players (it's regularly used as a qualifying course). The course is generally fairly open and could handle probably a medium sized event. However, given its proximity to Chambers, there's no way it would be selected ahead of Chambers for a US Open.

Of all the courses I've played in the greater Seattle area, there's no question that Chambers is the best by far. I'll play TPC Snoqualmie Ridge later this summer and it hosts a Senior's event. From what I know about the course, I don't think it has the teeth to be a USGA site.

It's important to remember that the USGA generally wants a winning score for the US Open to be somewhere around par and for it not to turn into a birdie fest. When evaluating the merits of a course for a USGA event, the course needs to have a number of holes where par is considered a very good score.
    Newcastle made the list based mostly on location/logistics. It's probably not quite difficult enough for the US Open.
  • Options

Tequilla said:

Tumble Creek

Newcastle

Washington National

Newcastle made the list based mostly on location/logistics. It's probably not quite difficult enough for the US Open.
    Played Newcastle last night ...

Not sure that there's enough room for spectators ...

IMO, definitely not that difficult of a course. The only parts of the course that are difficult are a couple of shots here and there ... otherwise you can hit it pretty much all over the lot and the greens are far from difficult.

The green fees there are ridiculous ... you definitely pay for the view. Probably explains why CEO KJV and the LPT like playing there so much.
  • Options
    Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Tumble Creek

Newcastle

Washington National

Played Newcastle last night ...

Not sure that there's enough room for spectators ...

IMO, definitely not that difficult of a course. The only parts of the course that are difficult are a couple of shots here and there ... otherwise you can hit it pretty much all over the lot and the greens are far from difficult.

The green fees there are ridiculous ... you definitely pay for the view. Probably explains why CEO KJV and the LPT like playing there so much.
    China Creek or Coal Creek? I don't remember which is which, but one is significantly harder than the other.
  • Options
    Coal Creek

There are no question some tough shots on the course. That being said, the driving areas are very forgiving and the biggest problems come from either blind shots or having course knowledge on how far you can carry on a few holes.

If I could get over my Tiger problems of hitting short irons off the tee on par 3's, I would have shot in the low 80s from the blues, which is a really solid score for me.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 42,081
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Pourin' out a 40 for Interbay.
  • Options
    YouKnowItYouKnowIt Member Posts: 540
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,478
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The only thing I know about golf courses is they are deadly. High school assistant basketball coach got drunk the night before his best man's wedding and they all took carts out on a course and drove around crazy. Ends up flying into a sand trap and killing himself. Talk about a depressing event.

But still, chambers looked like shit.
  • Options
    HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    Doogles said:

The only thing I know about golf courses is they are deadly. High school assistant basketball coach got drunk the night before his best man's wedding and they all took carts out on a course and drove around crazy. Ends up flying into a sand trap and killing himself. Talk about a depressing event.

Cool story bro.
  • Options
    Doogles said:

Not everybody can be Bam Margera and Ryan Dunn (RIP)