Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

49er's OT Anthony Davis Retires

SteveInSheltonSteveInShelton Member Posts: 1,611
First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
Something weird is going on there. I have never seen that many players retire in an off season, and young players at that.

Comments

• Options
    HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,523
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    Can't blame Davis, he is probably a reasonably smart guy from his time at Rutgers. He was drafted the year before the NFL changed rookie contracts so he signed for $37.5 million (with $15.95 million guaranteed).

Maybe he also had a chat with Patrick Willis and Justin Smith about the costs and benefits of playing on a 2nd deal.

If I had made $37.5 million over 5 years, I'd sure as hell retire after all those injuries. A rough guess would have taxes eating up about $15 mil of that, an agent taking about $2 mil, and an accountant / lawyer taking $1 mil over those 5 years so he would have been left with about $19.5 million (not including any endorsement or advertising deals he may have signed locally in SF.

If he was really smart, he would've put away roughly a quarter of his signing bonus immediately into a balanced / moderate risk portfolio in 2010 (while the S&P was being juiced by ZIRP and QE). Conservatively speaking, his $4 million he'd put away would yield him $200,000 each year (after fees and management fees) in dividends and bond interest payments. If he had done automatic dividend / bond reinvestment, he'd have an extra $1 million in his portfolio.

Specifically, if Davis had put $4 million in an S&P 500 index fund back in 2010, he could book paper profits of about $3.5 million (and enjoyed the growing dividends from the increases in corporate profits).

Not bad...not bad at all.

• Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    HFNY said:

Can't blame Davis, he is probably a reasonably smart guy from his time at Rutgers. He was drafted the year before the NFL changed rookie contracts so he signed for $37.5 million (with $15.95 million guaranteed).

Maybe he also had a chat with Patrick Willis and Justin Smith about the costs and benefits of playing on a 2nd deal.

If I had made $37.5 million over 5 years, I'd sure as hell retire after all those injuries. A rough guess would have taxes eating up about $15 mil of that, an agent taking about $2 mil, and an accountant / lawyer taking $1 mil over those 5 years so he would have been left with about $19.5 million (not including any endorsement or advertising deals he may have signed locally in SF.

If he was really smart, he would've put away roughly a quarter of his signing bonus immediately into a balanced / moderate risk portfolio in 2010 (while the S&P was being juiced by ZIRP and QE). Conservatively speaking, his $4 million he'd put away would yield him $200,000 each year (after fees and management fees) in dividends and bond interest payments. If he had done automatic dividend / bond reinvestment, he'd have an extra $1 million in his portfolio.

Specifically, if Davis had put $4 million in an S&P 500 index fund back in 2010, he could book paper profits of about $3.5 million (and enjoyed the growing dividends from the increases in corporate profits).

I had no idea Bleenor posted here
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,860
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

Something weird is going on there. I have never seen that many players retire in an off season, and young players at that.

I'm afraid football's quality will slowly diminish over the next 20 years due to players not wanting to end up like Jim McMahon or Junior Seau. It wouldn't suck as much if basketball hadn't gone into the toilet.
  • Options
    HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment

HFNY said:

I had no idea CollegeDoog posted here
  • Options
    HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,523
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    You cut me deep.

Take it back...TAKE IT BACK DAMNIT!

HFNY said:

I had no idea Bleenor posted here
  • Options
    UWerentThereManUWerentThereMan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,475
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    With the first pick of 2016 NFL draft, the 49rs pick...
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,082
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

With the first pick of 2016 NFL draft, the 49rs pick... Travis Feeney, linebacker, the University of Washington.