Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Comments

• Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I think Harper will end up having a better career than Trout.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    edited June 2015

I think Harper's going to be incredible, but there's no one who's career I'd take over Trout. He's the best player since Balco took Bonds from HOF great to Babe Ruth+.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited June 2015
    dnc said:

I think Harper's going to be incredible, but there's no one who's career I'd take over Trout. He's the best player since Balco took Bonds from HOF great to Babe Ruth+.
    It's hard to disagree, but for some reason I don't think Trout will age as well as Harper. Trout is so big and bulky. I also think what he is now is what he will be whereas Harper is just scratching the surface.

Defense aside, I think Trout will become an all or nothing hitter earlier than Harper.
  • Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,921
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

dnc said:

It's hard to disagree, but for some reason I don't think Trout will age as well as Harper. Trout is so big and bulky. I also think what he is now is what he will be whereas Harper is just scratching the surface.

Defense aside, I think Trout will become an all or nothing hitter earlier than Harper.
    And at that point, the mariners will sign him and we will get to go watch him bat .211 with 30 hrs
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary

dnc said:

And at that point, the mariners will sign him and we will get to go watch him bat .211 with 5 hrs
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,237
    Founders Club

dnc said:

And at that point, the mariners will sign him and we will get to go watch him bat .211 with 5 hrs
    you mean like the Oregon State game Robinson Cano? ;)
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary

dnc said:

you mean like the Oregon State game Robinson Cano? ;)
    He needs to talk to Nelson Cruz's supplier immediately.
  • Options
    HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,528
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    Tough to say at this point, especially since they are both so young.

For instance Mickey Mantle was having another great year in 1963 at age 31 but then stepped on a sprinkler head or something like that in his 65th game...he missed the rest of the year and never was really the same after bouncing back for a good 1964 season. His hard living ways certainly didn't help but Mantle's knee injury in '63 hastened the end of his career.

Darryl Strawberry is a different example in that substance abuse got him. He looked like a HOF'er and never hit less than 26 HRs from from age 21 through age 29 (while being an 8 time All-Star) but he started hanging out with Sean McGrew's dad and he couldn't quit the blow / booze for awhile which mostly tanked his career.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,237
    Founders Club
    HFNY said:

For instance Mickey Mantle was having another great year in 1963 at age 31 but then stepped on a sprinkler head or something like that in his 65th game...he missed the rest of the year and never was really the same after bouncing back for a good 1964 season. His hard living ways certainly didn't help but Mantle's knee injury in '63 hastened the end of his career.

Darryl Strawberry is a different example in that substance abuse got him. He looked like a HOF'er and never hit less than 26 HRs from from age 21 through age 29 (while being an 8 time All-Star) but he started hanging out with Sean McGrew's dad and he couldn't quit the blow / booze for awhile which mostly tanked his career.

I read the book on Joe DiMaggio, and it described how Mantle stepped on the sprinkler head in 1951 (unless he did it twice in his career).
  • Options
    HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,528
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    You are correct, it was a drain pipe or drain cover back in 1951.

According to Wikipedia, he broke his foot in 1963: "On June 5, he tried to prevent a home run by Brooks Robinson in Baltimore and got his shoe spikes caught in the center field chain link fence as he leaped against the fence for the ball and was coming down."

Certainly the 1951 was more severe and he may even have played with a torn ACL for the rest of his career.

What a freak of nature.

HFNY said:

I read the book on Joe DiMaggio, and it described how Mantle stepped on the sprinkler head in 1951 (unless he did it twice in his career).