Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Chris Petersen Talks Recruiting Strategy and How he Hates it

usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/pac12/2015/06/05/chris-petersen-washington-football-recruiting/28550819/

I love his approach. No BS, straight forward and basically making sure the player fits your coaches and culture is one of the most important things for them. This will lead to less flips, less roster turnover and better buy-in.

I'm sure Kim will point out to him, this isn't the Whack Peterman!!!1

Comments

• Options
    BallSackedBallSacked Member Posts: 3,279
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited June 2015
    I think he's coming off a little whiny in this piece. Recruiting is gross, but it's always been gross. I also disagree that this stuff he complains about is new. It's been this way for awhile.
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,475
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

I think he's coming off a little whiny in this piece. Recruiting is gross, but it's always been gross. I also disagree that this stuff he complains about is new. It's been this way for awhile.

Slightly agree in the sense that the stresses of 24/7/365 recruiting is something you sign up for when you cash your million dollar checks.

I think at the heart of what he is saying is more the twitter baloney and false promises that are flooding social media has increased to the nth degree. Impressionable kids at camps and shady dealings are just that much easier to exploit in the modern era.

Maybe 20 years ago a guy gave you a tip about a kid in an obscure location and you handed him a mug of cash. Now, hungover sark checks twitter and proposes to a 16 year old before popping a xanax to sleep it off. The effort to corrupt is comparatively minimal to the past and leaves a lot of kids down the wrong path in what should be the most important decision of their lives.
  • Options
    HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,523
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    You mean it having 11 out of 25 players wash-out like Stevie's 2012 class did shouldn't be the norm and that it really doesn't have to be that way?!?

usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/pac12/2015/06/05/chris-petersen-washington-football-recruiting/28550819/

I love his approach. No BS, straight forward and basically making sure the player fits your coaches and culture is one of the most important things for them. This will lead to less flips, less roster turnover and better buy-in.

• Options
    whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,444
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Yeah, but Petersen has to deal with the LPT, so I'd be complaining about recruiting, too.
  • Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    edited June 2015
    Hope Eason and family read the last part of that article.

edit: beaten by RD. yep
  • Options
    BallSackedBallSacked Member Posts: 3,279
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment

Eason?

"It makes it harder on us the way the nature of recruiting is going, because everyone is rushing and offering guys that they don't know anything about," said Petersen. "Now it's like a kid has 20 offers and he's like, 'Well, where have you been? You haven't been here.' Well, sometimes it takes a minute or two to figure these things out.

"Our way maybe hurts us in some ways because we're so late on certain kids. I don't have a problem offering early. But we need to know something more than just seeing the kid on tape. That's easy. Anyone can figure that out. But there's a lot more to it."

Yep.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    The way I look at it, the kids that get pissed off about whether or not they've been showed the love early on (and particularly the parents that bitch and moan about that stuff) aren't focused on the right things and will almost assuredly be at a higher risk for either flipping schools later in the process and be at a higher risk of transferring once in the program if not vaulted towards the top of the depth chart earlier than later.

We can all bitch and whine about it, but what Petersen really does is make sure that he's going after the kids that WANT to be part of his program. It's really the quintessential making sure that they bleed purple and gold.
  • Options
    AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    HFNY said:

You mean it having 11 out of 25 players wash-out like Stevie's 2012 class did shouldn't be the norm and that it really doesn't have to be that way?!?

8/10 would smash
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

Tequilla said:

The way I look at it, the kids that get pissed off about whether or not they've been showed the love early on (and particularly the parents that bitch and moan about that stuff) aren't focused on the right things and will almost assuredly be at a higher risk for either flipping schools later in the process and be at a higher risk of transferring once in the program if not vaulted towards the top of the depth chart earlier than later.

We can all bitch and whine about it, but what Petersen really does is make sure that he's going after the kids that WANT to be part of his program. It's really the quintessential making sure that they bleed purple and gold.

Does he ask the tough questions?

At uw.

Just try and you will consistently land a top 20 class. [Teq: He's doing this - right?]
    Please recruit some linemen. [Teq: This has been the most impressive parts of his recruiting - the focus on building up not only talent but depth on the OL/DL]
    You are not going to out recruit the LA schools. [Teq: has never been the plan at the UW; getting a Top 3-4 SoCal player is the goal as the difference between 1-3 historically hasn't been huge]
    Do it dirty or do church style. I don't care. Just win. Uw has a proud tradition of boosters and coaches offering riches and coffee cups to the young men's lives which they try to enrich. Who cares, just win.

I don't care if it is the right way or the wrong way. Just win before I hate college football from years of watching a shit program.

• Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,983
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Does he ask the tough questions?

At uw.

Just try and you will consistently land a top 20 class. [Teq: He's doing this - right?]
    Please recruit some linemen. [Teq: This has been the most impressive parts of his recruiting - the focus on building up not only talent but depth on the OL/DL]
    You are not going to out recruit the LA schools. [Teq: has never been the plan at the UW; getting a Top 3-4 SoCal player is the goal as the difference between 1-3 historically hasn't been huge]
    Do it dirty or do church style. I don't care. Just win. Uw has a proud tradition of boosters and coaches offering riches and coffee cups to the young men's lives which they try to enrich. Who cares, just win.

I don't care if it is the right way or the wrong way. Just win before I hate college football from years of watching a shit program.

Exactly. A lot of coaches can do that. He does not deserve praise. He should not be beaten down for how they have recruited neither. It is on par. His strategy of finding the doogs that bleed purple and gold is beside the point.
  • Options
    PenacePenace Member Posts: 494
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    I like his style. I truly believe gone are the days of classes in which 10+ guys totally flame out and contribute zero. Gotta win though or GtFO
  • Options
    HoustonHuskyHoustonHusky Member Posts: 5,954
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic 5 Awesomes
    "The whole recruiting process right now is so bizarre, is so absurd, that offering a scholarship to a kid at most places is like sending a letter to him five years ago," he said. "(Schools) don't care. They'll just get out of it. Or if a guy does commit, they'll say, 'Oh, you've got to come to our camp now.' And then if they don't like him, they just kind of, you know … and we're just not into that."

Its true all over, but when I first read it I thought of Sark yanking the scholarship of Isaac Garcia...
  • Options
    TommySQCTommySQC Member Posts: 5,813
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

Eason?

"It makes it harder on us the way the nature of recruiting is going, because everyone is rushing and offering guys that they don't know anything about," said Petersen. "Now it's like a kid has 20 offers and he's like, 'Well, where have you been? You haven't been here.' Well, sometimes it takes a minute or two to figure these things out.

"Our way maybe hurts us in some ways because we're so late on certain kids. I don't have a problem offering early. But we need to know something more than just seeing the kid on tape. That's easy. Anyone can figure that out. But there's a lot more to it."

Sounds like he's figuring it out

• Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    I hate that he didn't get Eason way more than he hates strategizing.
  • Options
    pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,799
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

I hate that he didn't get Eason way more than he hates strategizing.

It's awfully warm for February.

*obligatory