Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Comments

• Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Zero interest in reading what that moron has to say.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Gladstone said:

I had a hard time getting through all of it and admittedly skimmed some portions.

That being said, many on this board (that care still) will find the remarks very interesting. I have a few thoughts on the article ... but would like to see some comments from others.
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,475
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Reads like a propaganda add. Interesting distinction between excuses and explanations by Romar. Has a career in politics waiting for him.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Doogles said:

Reads like a propaganda add. Interesting distinction between excuses and explanations by Romar. Has a career in politics waiting for him.

He definitely put a lot of effort into talking about excuses by then saying that he wasn't making them and making a clear distinction of how that was the case.
  • Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    I think he did a good job of taking the blame and admitting there is a problem. After years of Sark's bullshit hype and excuses, it was nice to hear him say "I messed up"...not "the players messed up" or "the defensive coordinator messed up" or "the schedule was too hard" or "0-12" etc. He did play the injury card, which made me eyeroll, since those injuries could have been mitigated by better roster management and player development (especially in the post).

The comments on Goss were very political. It's clear there was an issue. Romar didn't say anything bad about him, but he did go on to say that the new guys are buying in and motivated to be part of a successful team; not play for individual awards and accolades (the Brockman/IT story). I took that as a comment on Goss. Based on what I know about him, the NBA is all he cares about. His sister told me that he wanted to go pro last year, but was talked out of it. In interviews he said he's only transferring to a school where he has the same role he had at UW (starting PG). If he really cared about winning, why wouldn't he want to go to the best program he can and then earn his spot? The answer is he's a selfish player that thinks he's a lot better than he really is. The fact that he got pissed when Andrews was hitting buzzer beaters to win games while he was missing FTs and shooting 3s he can't hit to lose games is all you need to know about his attitude.

Romar claims to have identified the problem, and that they are actively working to fix things. No more "taking chances on guys" in recruiting (Upshaw), or going after guys that don't really "know Washington" (out of state/high rated recruits we have no real chance with).

There is no question that the new class is really good, and the next class has a chance to be really good too. He even hints at it a bit (Aaron, Smith). Whether or not he turns that into wins remains to be seen. I'm somewhat skeptical, to say the least. He still needs to find some quality bigs to go along with the good guards/wings he's pulling in.

And he still needs to learn how to draw up an in-bounds play...
  • Options
    MelloDawgMelloDawg Member Posts: 6,128
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

I think he did a good job of taking the blame and admitting there is a problem. After years of Sark's bullshit hype and excuses, it was nice to hear him say "I messed up"...not "the players messed up" or "the defensive coordinator messed up" or "the schedule was too hard" or "0-12" etc. He did play the injury card, which made me eyeroll, since those injuries could have been mitigated by better roster management and player development (especially in the post).

The comments on Goss were very political. It's clear there was an issue. Romar didn't say anything bad about him, but he did go on to say that the new guys are buying in and motivated to be part of a successful team; not play for individual awards and accolades (the Brockman/IT story). I took that as a comment on Goss. Based on what I know about him, the NBA is all he cares about. His sister told me that he wanted to go pro last year, but was talked out of it. In interviews he said he's only transferring to a school where he has the same role he had at UW (starting PG). If he really cared about winning, why wouldn't he want to go to the best program he can and then earn his spot? The answer is he's a selfish player that thinks he's a lot better than he really is. The fact that he got pissed when Andrews was hitting buzzer beaters to win games while he was missing FTs and shooting 3s he can't hit to lose games is all you need to know about his attitude.

Romar claims to have identified the problem, and that they are actively working to fix things. No more "taking chances on guys" in recruiting (Upshaw), or going after guys that don't really "know Washington" (out of state/high rated recruits we have no real chance with).

There is no question that the new class is really good, and the next class has a chance to be really good too. He even hints at it a bit (Aaron, Smith). Whether or not he turns that into wins remains to be seen. I'm somewhat skeptical, to say the least. He still needs to find some quality bigs to go along with the good guards/wings he's pulling in.

I would actually disagree and respond with "fuck everything he has to say." He has underachieved with players who "bought in" to whatever philosophy he says he has and he can please to be getting door-ass-out any day now.
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Gladstone said:

What about Romar though?
  • Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    MelloDawg said:

I would actually disagree and respond with "fuck everything he has to say." He has underachieved with players who "bought in" to whatever philosophy he says he has and he can please to be getting door-ass-out any day now.
    I don't disagree with that
  • Options
    RapeculturedawgRapeculturedawg Member Posts: 899
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    He's going for the offseason Natty
  • Options
    DugtheDoogDugtheDoog Member Posts: 3,180
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Doogles said:

He's definitely been reading the exchanges between Aubby and the CEO
  • Options
    FreeChavezFreeChavez Member Posts: 3,223
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Also interesting that the team was rock solid during this interview and now JJ is leaving. Whoops. Guess romar doesn't have the pulse on the team he thought