Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Kentucky's Andrew Harrison On Frank Kaminsky: "Fuck That Nigga"

2»

Comments

• Options
    allpurpleallgoldallpurpleallgold Member Posts: 8,771
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Tequilla said:

It's really simple to me ...

If it was white --> black on this comment, there'd be vicious outrage.

But since it was black --> white, it's just a young kid thing and that's just the way that it is.

We talk a lot in our society about equality ... and I'm 100% ok with that. But you can't have equality when you allow double standards to rule the day.

How about we just let black people have this one? They've been through some shit. And no matter what you think the solution to get equality is (whether it's the apag/Obama plan of treating them like children that can barely function and allowing them to suck off the government teat forever or empowering them to make the change themselves like Race and ****** want) allowing them to use a word that others can't hardly seems like an obstacle. It's literally the least we can do. The word has a fucked up history. Just let them have it.

What you sound like is someone that's never actually had to deal with inequality. Black people have slavery and housing discrimination. Black people use drugs at a nearly an identical rate as white people. But black people are arrested at 50 billion times the rate of white people for drug crimes. And your problem is that someone can say a word that you can't. Pathetic.
  • Options
    JaWarrenJaHookerJaWarrenJaHooker Member Posts: 1,980
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Just remember a lot of youths in the black community are lucky to have even one dad much less 2.
  • Options
    whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,281
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter

Tequilla said:

But since it was black --> white, it's just a young kid thing and that's just the way that it is.

We talk a lot in our society about equality ... and I'm 100% ok with that. But you can't have equality when you allow double standards to rule the day.

How about we just let black people have this one? They've been through some shit. And no matter what you think the solution to get equality is (whether it's the apag/Obama plan of treating them like children that can barely function and allowing them to suck off the government teat forever or empowering them to make the change themselves like Race and ****** want) allowing them to use a word that others can't hardly seems like an obstacle. It's literally the least we can do. The word has a fucked up history. Just let them have it.

What you sound like is someone that's never actually had to deal with inequality. Black people have slavery and housing discrimination. Black people use drugs at a nearly an identical rate as white people. But black people are arrested at 50 billion times the rate of white people for drug crimes. And your problem is that someone can say a word that you can't. Pathetic.
    Indeed.

Coming from someone whiter than white who's been called N***A plenty of times.

If you're born white in America you start life ahead of 95%+ of the population on earth. Why in the fuck would you concern yourself with a few double standards that don't even have the slightest actual impact on your life? Are you really insulted? Do you really give a shit?
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,362
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    If you're born white in America you start life ahead of 95%+ of the population on earth.

That's true for a whole lot of Blacks as well.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    I think a few are taking this the wrong way ...

I do think that there are some things that are hypocritical in the use of the term ... I've played enough basketball in my life to not only hear it a million times, but also to have been called it. There's very little about what was actually said that bothers me because I know what was meant.

There are clearly greater issues that are creating racial division than this phrase. And there's no question that the creators of such a division reside on in both directions. It's not a black thing. It's not a white thing. It's a society thing.

Discrimination happens in all forms of our society. For some, it is skin color. For others, it's gender. Or religion. Or body type. And on top of that, the manner in which we perceive and rush to judgements is amazing. If you think about it, how often do we really judge people based on their merit and actions and instead judge based on our perceptions?

I completely get that it's very possible that I view the world differently than others do in many ways. I don't see a lot of perceptions that others do - at least from the standpoint of allowing them to cloud my opinions of others. Skin color is meaningless to me. I don't give a shit whether someone is male or female or what their religion is as long as they can do the job that is asked of them.

I guess my point in all of this is that instead of looking at the world as how it is and was, we should be looking at the world from the perspective of where we want it to be. And you don't get to those positions of where you want things to be by hoping that they get to that point. You get to those points by putting the work in and having the accountability by all involved in wanting that conclusion to drive to that point.

I understand the thought that life isn't fair. But I also understand that there's absolutely no reason that anybody can't work their ass off to get to where they want to be in life. If education is important to you, there plenty of options in place. If you want to go to college, there's opportunities. But you have to work for them. It's not given to you.

And maybe the reason I feel so strongly about this is because I'm supposed to be one of the statistics. My parents divorced when I was young. My mother was a HS graduate and I'd be willing to bet that her income placed us at or below the poverty line. My parents hated each other so much that there was never any coordination or support in place that was tied to the child and instead was tied to their personal feuds. I worked in HS and throughout college to ensure that I could pay for school. There's no question that when I look back that there were a number of things that I missed out on, or was late in developing, as a result. But I also knew that the way to not be in such a situation in my life was through education. I never focused on what I didn't have growing up because I was too focused on what I did have and where I wanted to go.

I've lived in the South. I've talked with many people down there. And honestly, while I'd be foolish to not realize that there's a lot of racism still in place with some, the biggest gap in our nation now is driven not by race but instead by education. When I look around at all of my friends, the vast majority not only have college degrees, but they also have advanced degrees. And it's not because I'm some kind of snob. It has more to do with the fact that the situations that I find myself in, the people that I'm consistently associating with, tend to be with people of similar backgrounds. Education is just another form of class. And while I don't necessarily think that education is something that you actively go out and use as a discrimination tool, there's no question that it creates a division.

The TL, DR version: division based on race is short changing the drivers of division in our country ... it's far deeper than what shows on the surface.
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,520
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited April 2015
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,362
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • Options
    UWerentThereManUWerentThereMan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,475
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

Tequilla said:

Black people use drugs at a nearly an identical rate as white people. But black people are arrested at 50 billion times the rate of white people for drug crimes.
    In other words, the Asians are getting away with MURDER
  • Options
    RavennaDawgRavennaDawg Member Posts: 846
    Name Dropper Photogenic 5 Awesomes First Anniversary

As a white guy who played a lot of street ball in the hood, Rainier Beach, I would take it as a compliment.

I got pissed when they called me Larry Bird. That's racist and demeaning. Dr J or Earl the Pearl Bill Hanzlik or Danny Vranes please

Two of the four future Sonics on the 1980 USA Olympic team that did not get to compete in Moscow.

Can anyone name the other two?