Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Rules Enforcement and Petersen's 2015 Offense

HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,524
First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
Standard Supporter
One thing I'm excited about going into the 2015 season is the NCAA's focus on flagging linemen downfield beyond 3 yards (1 yard in the NFL). Offenses got so abusive with it the last few years that they often had linemen 5 yards downfield on play-action passes.

With the rule emphasis in mind, I was trying to think of who Petersen's best offenses reminded me of and finally nailed it down as Joe Gibbs. Gibbs' best offenses featured strong doses of pre-snap motions and shifts and 3 WRs...so will see more of this in 2015?:

Style of play[edit]
Although Gibbs helped craft a passing-oriented attack during his time in San Diego, his Redskins teams were known to incorporate a smash-mouth, rushing-oriented attack like the counter trey. By building a strong offensive line (known as "The Hogs") Gibbs was able to control the line of scrimmage, allowing workhorse running backs such as John Riggins, George Rogers, and Earnest Byner to power the ground game. Gibbs added a deep passing attack to this which complemented the ground game, utilizing agile receivers such as Art Monk, Gary Clark, and Ricky Sanders. Gibbs' offense was aided during his tenure by aggressive defensive units under the direction of defensive coordinator Richie Petitbon.

Gibbs' system and offensive scheme were robust enough to be successful without a Hall-of-Fame-caliber quarterback at the helm. The Redskins' Super Bowl victories were won featuring Joe Theismann, Doug Williams, and Mark Rypien—capable players who were very successful along with their strong supporting cast.

Gibbs is credited with inventing the single back, double or triple tight end set. He used it to neutralize Hall of Fame linebacker Lawrence Taylor, realizing that to successfully block him with a running back was impossible; an extra tight end and a tackle were required as well. The extra tight end provided additional protection for the quarterback. Gibbs was also credited for creating the Trips formation; stacking three wide receivers to one side. Gibbs incorporated the shifting and motions for which his offenses were known. The formations created mismatches and confusion for the opposing defenses that would then be exploited. He is also one of few coaches that utilized the H-back position prominently in his offense.

Comments

• Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    run blocking is much easier than pass blocking

pound the fucking rock

but no we'll grabbag and scream in terror as jonathan smith plays xbox with our team

the season is over
  • Options
    Dawgenhire#3Dawgenhire#3 Member Posts: 13
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment Testing 1
    Yes Smith sucks bet let's not forget that during BSU best years Petersen and Pease were the brains behind the offense. I trust Peterman will adjust accordingly moving forward. I would bet @boobs house that he doesn't flame out like Hawkins or Digler.
  • Options
    whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,292
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    comparing Petersen to Gibbs is going to give me an epic sweatpants boner
  • Options
    Dawgenhire#3Dawgenhire#3 Member Posts: 13
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment Testing 1

Yes Smith sucks bet let's not forget that during BSU best years Petersen and Pease were the brains behind the offense. I trust Peterman will adjust accordingly moving forward. I would bet @boobs house that he doesn't flame out like Hawkins or Digler.

This might be slightly better than the Afroman video.
    I'm waiting for the South Carolina shooting video to be a frequently used gif around here.

Too soon?
    As a proud black man I was outraged North Charleston wasn't on fire after seeing the video.
  • Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,910
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

This might be slightly better than the Afroman video.
    I'm waiting for the South Carolina shooting video to be a frequently used gif around here.

Too soon?
    String?

I'm upset that String fellow wasn't here long enough to use any Stringer Bell references