Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Fleens takes a stand on Romar

2»

Comments

• Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,065
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

Both Utah and Oregon State just built new basketball specific facilities, and both have pretty good classes coming in. Kentucky built an amazing one a few years ago. Other schools are doing it too. This should have been done years ago. Even Wazzu has a hoops specific facility. Building a facility tells recruits you are investing in hoops, regardless of the coach.

Again, we're already recruiting at an elite level, so this point is moot mute.
  • Options
    MrsPetersenMrsPetersen Member Posts: 724
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Name Dropper First Comment

If recruiting is already phenomenal, but player development is shitty, then I don't see how a players lounge will improve UW basketball,

Can't you see that when players have a lounge to relax in it helps the edgy recruits play loose?
  • Options
    NeGgaPlEaSeNeGgaPlEaSe Member Posts: 5,729
    edited March 2015

Not here to defend the merits of Romar as a coach, person, etc. but, the AD really needs to build a hoops specific facility, and are currently behind the curve on this. Two sports currently generate revenue at UW, and one hasn't really been addressed in a while. The arena is nice and kept up, but a players lounge or something specific for hoops would help. It's been in talks for what feels like years, but the AD /School has a bad reputation of not striking while the iron is hot.

We could offer hookers and blow at halftime, results will be the same. If you can't succeed with BRoy, Nate Robinson, Brock, Holliday, Qpon, Bobby Joness, Will Conroy, Etc, then you are Fuq 'd with Gilles, Kemp Jr., Andersen Andrews
  • Options
    huskyhooliganhuskyhooligan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,078
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

If you can't succeed with BRoy, Nate Robinson, Brock, Holliday, Qpon, Bobby Joness, Will Conroy,

Wait, for real? Did this just come off of your keyboard?
  • Options
    huskyhooliganhuskyhooligan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,078
    Swaye's Wigwam

But Romar hasn't been consistently recruiting at an elite level, and I think the current roster shows that. He has missed out on guys he spent years recruiting, for programs that actively and continually invest in their hoops programs.

• Options
    CheersWestDawgCheersWestDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,475
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    Swaye's Wigwam

Tequilla said:

Yet he deleted the tweet.....

Probably too many people tweeting him for his FS comment
    Like who?
    I saw a guy named Rip_ty tweet at him... Seemed like an ass though.
    Fuck I hate that guy. If he ever tries to poast here I'm going to lose my shit.
  • Options
    NeGgaPlEaSeNeGgaPlEaSe Member Posts: 5,729
    edited March 2015

But Romar hasn't been consistently recruiting at an elite level, and I think the current roster shows that. He has missed out on guys he spent years recruiting, for programs that actively and continually invest in their hoops programs.

Martin Breunig certainly played better than any forward Romar had on this team for the past 3 years, he 23 points plus 17 rebounds against common opponent EWU

I think DJ's point was recruiting is better than results. You can't miss the dance with Ross, Wroten Wilcox, that's just Romar FS. And the 2014 team is far better than the record suggests wiThl minimal coaching and roster management. How the Fuq do you let Desmond transfer?

• Options
    topdawgnctopdawgnc Member Posts: 7,838
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    Romar is the best Washington can hope for.

Don't you know this is Washington. Look at his championships.

Pac-12 Regular Season Championship (2012)
    Pac-10 Regular Season Championship (2009)
    Pac-10 Tournament Championship (2005, 2010, 2011)

He's had 10 1st or 2nd round draft choices ... that's more than Don James!

He's made the Big Dance as the number 1 seed.

He also has a 63% winning record.

He may have gone 3-10 in the Pac this year, but he was 14-11 overall ... think about that ... he only lost one OCC game ... including a win over OU! You know what that does for NATIONAL RECRUITING! 8-1 against the likes of OU ... that's what recruits care about! Not some lounge.

You guys remind me of the talking heads in 1988 who wanted Don James fired!

Get a grip.
  • Options
    HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,523
    Standard Supporter
    Hec-Ed isn't hoops specific but it's pretty close. Nicer amenities for recruits (player's lounge, etc) could help though.

We're stuck with Romar for next season but at least he's bringing in a good recruiting class.

2016-2017? Who knows.

• Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,065
    Founders Club
    You can't expect Romar to win big next year with such a young team.
  • Options
    FreeChavezFreeChavez Member Posts: 3,223
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

This is a cop out. Many, many programs in the nation could be considered not the top facility and yet they are succeeding. Romar isn't losing out b/c of facilities, he's losing out b/c the team is losing. Facilities are a nice bonus but wouldn't have brought UW jabari bird/parker or gordon. UW has hit the skids thanks to massively missing on talent eval on the majority of players on the roster which is resulting in losses.

God forbid people expect a coach to not miss on 80% of his roster
  • Options
    BallSackedBallSacked Member Posts: 3,279
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment

When schools the caliber of Washington go 5 years without making the tourney it goes way beyond recruiting. Especially how shitass the pac12 has been since its peak in 2008/2009.

Ditto with Cal. Those two schools sit on solid recruiting grounds, have new stadiums and are attractive schools. There is no reason those two schools aren't in the tourney 3 or 4 years out of every 5.

UW has been to the dance (ILTCNTTD) 1 in the last 5 years. Cal twice. Ridiculous.