Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Book Blog

topdawgnctopdawgnc Member Posts: 7,838
First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
The Boys In The Boat

The story of the UW Crew team who went on to win gold in Hitler's Olympics (which were slightly more free than Obama's Amerika)

Not quite as gripping as other Washington influenced books, like, Bow Down To Willingham, however, Boys In The Boat is highly recommended. Not only an interesting read about the history of crew, especially at Washington ... it also gives tidbits like Oregon being the big game during the 20's.

There is also a good peek into life during the great depression. Pretty fucking rough.

As I read about the dust bowl, where NYC experienced a "black blizzard" of top soil from North Dakota, or how Seattle had record rain fall for 30 days ... was it global warming?

Amazed me that the annual crew game against Cal would bring 80,0000 to 100,000 people to the shores of Lake Washington.

Comments

• LoneStarDawgLoneStarDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 13,098
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Excellent book

That book will make you doog it up, in an "merica fuck yeah" kind of way.

#calrankedtoohigh
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,652
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Listening to it as book on tape during long drives through Rat City, S. Tacoma Way and E. Sprague.

Thanks for ruining the end of the book for me too, motherfucker.

• EwaDawgEwaDawg Member Posts: 3,989
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited March 2015
    topdawgnc said:

The Boys In The Boat

The story of the UW Crew team who went on to win gold in Hitler's Olympics (which were slightly more free than Obama's Amerika)

Good book. Mor fucking onic statement.

• DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,708
    Founders Club

Listening to it as book on tape during long drives through Rat City, S. Tacoma Way and E. Sprague.

I though they were called "books on cassette".

I though they were called "books on cassette".
    Technically, audio book.

CD, mp4, cassette, 8-track.
  • SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,226
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club
    edited March 2015
    topdawgnc said:

The Boys In The Boat

Not quite as gripping as other Washington influenced books, like, Bow Down To Willingham, however, Boys In The Boat is highly recommended. Not only an interesting read about the history of crew, especially at Washington ... it also gives tidbits like Oregon being the big game during the 20's.

There is also a good peek into life during the great depression. Pretty fucking rough.

As I read about the dust bowl, where NYC experienced a "black blizzard" of top soil from North Dakota, or how Seattle had record rain fall for 30 days ... was it global warming?

Amazed me that the annual crew game against Cal would bring 80,0000 to 100,000 people to the shores of Lake Washington.

Very good book IMO. Would make a great period piece motion picture.

There's so much going on it. The life of the protagonist makes for an incredible story on it's own. The peek into depression era life in the Pacific Northwest is great. Life on both sides of the Cascades is captured. Life on the peninsula, life in mining towns, life in and around the Grand Coulee project, as well as life in and around Seattle.

Was also blown away by the popularity of crew in those days, and by how UW really did field an amateur crew made up of boys from local towns. The crews they faced in the Olympics were mostly made up of older, physically more mature, pseudo-professional teams. The pre-war German propaganda machine is discussed in some detail, as is the life of a master boat builder who found his way to UW from England via Canada. His influence on crew in the USA is amazing, as is UW's. Cal owed it's success to a UW coach, something I was unaware of until reading this book.

It really was interesting to read again about the dust bowl, record heat waves, the "black blizzard", and other climate extremes and had to wonder whether or not they teach this in school anymore. I remember reading about and discussing it decades ago. Doing so today might wake a curious mind or two in a way dangerous to anthropogenic climate truthers, so I'm guessing common core has eradicated this history from the current text books, or distorted it in a way to fit the current agenda.

Anyway, I highly recommend this book, especially to folks from the PNW, doubly so to fellow UW grads.
  • PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,377
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Now more than ever....

We are a crew school.

And they're lucky they didn't have to race a U-Boat.
  • whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,240
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    1. Real UW fans knew the story before the book
    2. Real UW fans read the book last summer when it came out
    3. A nice reminder that we're all pussies these days. For other examples of this, see Bednarik, Chuck.

Standard Supporter
    PurpleJ said:

We are a crew school.

We have always been a crew school

And we will always be a crew school, unless the money runs out. So keep shopping at Nordstrom.
    Standard Supporter
    topdawgnc said:

The Boys In The Boat

You got so, so much out of the book, but not how to refer to a crew competition?

Oh yes, I have thoroughly RowingSuperiorGuy-edIt in this thread.
    Come at me, Reggata guy.
  • AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
  • topdawgnctopdawgnc Member Posts: 7,838
    AZDuck said:

Gay

Yes. Yes you are.
  • dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,220
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    edited March 2015
    Wait just a minute here - toppy never learned to read. This review has to be bullshit.
  • CheersWestDawgCheersWestDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,475
    Swaye's Wigwam

Just admit you were driving on Hosmer looking for toothless hookers.

#TacomaHookerSuperiorityGuy
  • topdawgnctopdawgnc Member Posts: 7,838
    dflea said:

Wait just a minute here - toppy never learned to read. This review has to be bullshit.

NYBE
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,480
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Started reading this last week, not sure why I put it off so long. Excellent.