Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Comments

• Options
    doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper
    First of all, shout out to the scrappy white underdog. Second, sounds like some of you need to retract your Lockner slander; he's just one of the forerunners of the early retirement trend.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,038
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Dave Wyman was saying the other day that he had numerous concussions and now at the age of 51 has had no issues in terms of mental acuity. He clearly thinks the issue is being turned into something greater than it is by the media.
  • Options
    PurpleBazePurpleBaze Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,488
    Founders Club

Dave Wyman was saying the other day that he had numerous concussions and now at the age of 51 has had no issues in terms of mental acuity. He clearly thinks the issue is being turned into something greater than it is by the media.

Wyman is a Stanford grad. Those guys have more brain cells than everyone else. So what if they kill some of them?
  • Options
    jecorneljecornel Member Posts: 9,589
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Standard Supporter

Wyman is starting to get annoying a little bit. We will see when he gets closer to 60...he also unbeknownst to him tells the same fucking story about his love the locker room...earl on set dementia...lots of hits to the head over decades will catch up to one way or another... the people to them will see it happening in front of their eyes.

He called Patrick Willis a brat for quitting, though john Clayton said he can hardly run the pain in his feet is so bad. He called Locker a brat as well...its their choice why should have such a pronlem with it it zero impact on his life.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,038
    Founders Club
    jecornel said:

Wyman is starting to get annoying a little bit. We will see when he gets closer to 60...he also unbeknownst to him tells the same fucking story about his love the locker room...earl on set dementia...lots of hits to the head over decades will catch up to one way or another... the people to them will see it happening in front of their eyes.

He called Patrick Willis a brat for quitting, though john Clayton said he can hardly run the pain in his feet is so bad. He called Locker a brat as well...its their choice why should have such a pronlem with it it zero impact on his life.
    What I like about Wyman is that it feels like he's telling you what he really thinks. He's not echoing the party line.
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,474
    Swaye's Wigwam
    There are clearly risks involved playing the game, but I agree that CTE is taking the blame for way too many of the issues. Of course these guys get depressed in retirement. I would probably be ok with dying at 50 if it meant I was worshiped like a God for the decade of my prime. We all die, very few know the glory of running out of a tunnel to be embraced by thousands while pursuing a clearly defined goal and being compensated very well. Most by the age of 50 have floundered from job to job wondering what life would be like if they quit grad school 20 years earlier to chase whatever dream they lost.

IMO, Just as big of an issue leading to the post retirement downfall are the sharks circling these guys throughout their career. The NFL needs to provide money management programs to give these guys a chance. You see a bunch of ex players starting financial companies for this purpose and it's curious the NFL never took the initiative themselves. The NFL turned and burned these guys for decades and finally got caught with their hand in the cookie jar. Throw the NCAA in the conversation too, player exploitation starts from the first nike camp on up.

• Options
    jecorneljecornel Member Posts: 9,589
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    I hope Wyman doesn't suffer any ill affects from his football days.

I think 710 does a pretty good job of everyone to speak their mind.

Though they have marching orders not speak college football which really sucks.
  • Options
    whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,276
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    I had a concussion seminar this past weekend as part of training for coaching girls youth soccer.

Apparently girls soccer concussion rates are 2nd highest behind football.
    Media hype or not, concussions are being taken seriously at these levels of sport.
  • Options
    HuskyJWHuskyJW Guest, Member Posts: 14,183
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    whlinder said:

I had a concussion seminar this past weekend as part of training for coaching girls youth soccer.

Apparently girls soccer concussion rates are 2nd highest behind football.
    Media hype or not, concussions are being taken seriously at these levels of sport.

Concussion Superiority Guy
  • Options
    PurpleReignPurpleReign Member Posts: 5,457
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
  • Options
    WilburHooksHandsWilburHooksHands Member Posts: 6,741
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    jecornel said:

I hope Wyman doesn't suffer any ill affects from his football days.

I think 710 does a pretty good job of everyone to speak their mind.

Though they have marching orders not speak college football which really sucks.

Which is weird considering one of the networks national CFB analysts is arguably the biggest personality on the station.
  • Options
    HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    I don't care for 710 or Wyman…thats the nicest thing I can say.
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,836
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Doogles said:

There are clearly risks involved playing the game, but I agree that CTE is taking the blame for way too many of the issues. Of course these guys get depressed in retirement. I would probably be ok with dying at 50 if it meant I was worshiped like a God for the decade of my prime. We all die, very few know the glory of running out of a tunnel to be embraced by thousands while pursuing a clearly defined goal and being compensated very well. Most by the age of 50 have floundered from job to job wondering what life would be like if they quit grad school 20 years earlier to chase whatever dream they lost.

IMO, Just as big of an issue leading to the post retirement downfall are the sharks circling these guys throughout their career. The NFL needs to provide money management programs to give these guys a chance. You see a bunch of ex players starting financial companies for this purpose and it's curious the NFL never took the initiative themselves. The NFL turned and burned these guys for decades and finally got caught with their hand in the cookie jar. Throw the NCAA in the conversation too, player exploitation starts from the first nike camp on up.

I'd rather live a mediocre life and die at 80.

Being a football player or rock star seemed cool when I was a kid. Then in my 20s, I noticed a ton of these guys od'd or died from years of physical punishment in their 40s or 50s.
  • Options
    MisterEmMisterEm Member Posts: 6,685
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Brother in law retired at 27 from the NFL with full pension and a year remaining on his last deal.

No concussion issues but he's looking at a double-knee and right-hip replacement by 40.