Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Comments

• Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    It's a stupid rule ... guys should be able to step out to gather their thoughts within reason.

It'd be one thing if there was a pitching machine and guys knew that they were going to get one pitch all the time. But at the MLB level, so much of hitting comes down to guessing as much as anything else in order to take aggressive swings versus passive swings. I have no problem with guys taking a step out of the box to take 10-15 seconds to figure out what the pitcher is trying to do to them in the AB.
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,473
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Everyone bitches about batters unstrapping and strapping their gloves after every pitch, but as a semi ocd guy I hate changing the process for such an intense decision.

Baseball haters say it's boring, but if you're capable of reading between the lines you'll see every moment is loaded with strategy.

• Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,339
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I don't know why baseball cares what the haters think anyway. I'm not going to start watching because some guy can't adjust his gloves. You either enjoy the pace of the game or you don't.

• Options
    HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,520
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    I like that they are at least trying a few things. Most sensible to me is limiting excessive mound visits, those seem to have gotten a little out of hand the last 5 or 10 years.

I don't see why they aren't starting with only 1 rule change (such mound visits per inning) and then introducing another if it doesn't shorten games:

ftw.usatoday.com/2014/09/mlb-games-length-three-hours-pace-of-play
  • Options
    phineasphineas Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,724
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    baseball is fine just the way it is. please dont go screwing it up with some silly new rules
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Just speeding up the process of between innings and pitching changes will go a long way into speeding up the game. It's almost impossible to have 2 hour games when you have 8 pitchers in a game.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,998
    Founders Club
    I remember reading that White Sox owner Bill Veeck (sp?) once proposed that they change it to 3 balls and 2 strikes instead of 4 balls and 3 strikes.
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,507
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Abolish the dh and put a shot clock in. Let em take roids again. Corked bats, pine tar, bench clearing brawls and gambling. No more of that Chevron car racing in the 7th. Stripper slut ball girls in spandex booty shorts like the Phillies have. The people will watch.
  • Options
    FreeChavezFreeChavez Member Posts: 3,223
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    There are a lot of rules to adjust in baseball to speed up the game. I think there is a middle ground. If you want to think about the next pitch leave your foot in the box and the other foot out. You still get your 10-15 seconds to think through a pitch, without all the BS rituals.

Pitching is also a joke with how many mound visits, speciality pitching changes, and commercials which extend these breaks.

There is plenty of blame to go around.

There is slow play in golf, shot clocks in basketball, and play clocks in football to keep a pace. There is no reason baseball shouldn't have something similar. Most people already would be under the pace of play clock, but there are a few who abuse it. Ortiz taking 30+ seconds per pitch is bullshit. It's not that complicated. A pitcher gets on the mound and gets a sign from a catcher who then makes the decision within a couple seconds whether to shake it off and throw another pitch or to go with it.
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,473
    Swaye's Wigwam
    In today's ratings wars, TV has officially supplanted the live experience as the most important aspect to a successful sports league. I get why there is pressure to quicken the pace of play for at home viewership purposes, but personally I enjoy going to a ball park and spending 3+ hours shooting the shit, spitting seeds, and drinking beer.

It's a great passive sporting experience, and for the fellow bachelors out there a pretty much guaranteed home run in the dating scene. Nothing better than having the option to talk or watch the game depending on the vibe.

I'm against hitting the turbo button on the experience, but understand it's imperative to do so for MLB's survival.