Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Is it pointless to root for UW to lose to SC?

2»

Comments

• Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,999
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

Gladstone said:

But Romar is a great man

UW basketball was garbage 30 years ago. Lifetime contract please.
    Exactly 30 years ago, UW beat Duke in the NCAA Tourney to advance to the Sweet 16.
    30 years ago we lost to KY in Marv's last game in round 1.

The wins over Nevada and Duke were in 84.

Roosevelt. Fucking. Chapman.
    it was the '84-'85 season
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,474
    Swaye's Wigwam

Gladstone said:

But Romar is a great man

Exactly 30 years ago, UW beat Duke in the NCAA Tourney to advance to the Sweet 16.

Boom! Roasted!
  • Options
    RavennaDawgRavennaDawg Member Posts: 846
    Name Dropper Photogenic 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Doogles said:

Gladstone said:

But Romar is a great man

Boom! Roasted!
    Except it wasn't.

Everyone remembers (at least I thought they did) "Final Four in '84", when Seattle was hosting its first Final Four in like 30 years, and the UW had a real team. And when we defeated Duke in Pullman to get to the Sweet Sixteen, it was still a remote possibility (we still had Dayton and Georgetown in the way) but it was still possible. That was the '83-'84 season, 31 years ago. You will remember the following year's ('84-'85) schedule poster had the photo of Detlef after the dunk at the end of the triple overtime game against UCLA.

30 years ago, the '84-'85 season was Marv's last year, when we were a 5 seed and lost to Kenny Walker and Kentucky.

'86 Russo some how got in, and Welp almost defeated Scott Skiles and MSU by himself, except our Bryce Drew Valpo moment did not materialize after Welp tipped the inbound to Moscatel, who missed the jumper at the buzzer.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    Myabe... But Marv also lost to Scott Skiles and Michigan State in the NCAA, which was either '85 or '86. Russo took over in '87, which was Welp's last season, and we went to the NIT. I was at Welp's last home game, which was the opening round of the NIT.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    I take it back, I'm wrong. I just looked it up. Marv's last year was '85, like you said. I don't remember Russo leading us to the NCAAs.

How do you fire a guy (Harshman) who has just won back-to-back Pac-10 titles?
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,474
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited March 2015

Doogles said:

Gladstone said:

But Romar is a great man

Boom! Roasted!
    Except it wasn't.

Everyone remembers (at least I thought they did) "Final Four in '84", when Seattle was hosting its first Final Four in like 30 years, and the UW had a real team. And when we defeated Duke in Pullman to get to the Sweet Sixteen, it was still a remote possibility (we still had Dayton and Georgetown in the way) but it was still possible. That was the '83-'84 season, 31 years ago. You will remember the following year's ('84-'85) schedule poster had the photo of Detlef after the dunk at the end of the triple overtime game against UCLA.

30 years ago, the '84-'85 season was Marv's last year, when we were a 5 seed and lost to Kenny Walker and Kentucky.

'86 Russo some how got in, and Welp almost defeated Scott Skiles and MSU by himself, except our Bryce Drew Valpo moment did not materialize after Welp tipped the inbound to Moscatel, who missed the jumper at the buzzer.
    Boom! Re-roasted!

In all honesty, I wasn't born yet so I have no idea what I'm talking about when it comes to Husky Basketball in the 80s. I've looked up old highlights of the Germans, but that is about it.
  • Options
    HuskyInAZHuskyInAZ Member Posts: 1,732
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Awesomes First Comment

I take it back, I'm wrong. I just looked it up. Marv's last year was '85, like you said. I don't remember Russo leading us to the NCAAs.

How do you fire a guy (Harshman) who has just won back-to-back Pac-10 titles?

Obviously, he wasn't a classy guy. That appears to be the criteria with Pool Boy.
  • Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    What the fuck does "being good for the community" mean and how do you quantify that one
  • Options
    SteveInSheltonSteveInShelton Member Posts: 1,611
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Which coaches aren't good for the community? Is there a program that exclusively recruits serial rapists that go around raping people on campus? That wouldn't be good for the community. Jerry Sandusky probably wasn't good for the community.

The vast majority of coaches don't break the law, pay taxes, and maybe donate to charities. Romar isn't doing anything special in this regard.

• Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The good guy and good for the community bullshit is pathetic. Ou know you are a helpless Doog when you use that. Who gives a shit?

I'm sure there are tons of coaches who are "good guys" but if you don't win, it doesn't matter. This is PAC 12 basketball, not the JV team at Chief Sealth.
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,278
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited March 2015
    DHD said:

Here's what I love about the Romar excuse making ... now it's just turned into "how can you possibly win when all of your bigs are hurt?"

Hmmm ... let me count the ways:

1. Play some some aggressive full court fucking defense and turn that into your offense. (See VCU)
    2. Have some athletic perimeter guys who can slash and score. (See Dayton)
    3. Slow it down and play multiple zone defenses that keep you in a ball game. (See Virginia)
    4. Send all 5 guys to the boards and rebound like your life depends on it. (See West Virginia)
    5. Run an offense that is built around hoisting up so many 3's some are bound to go in. (See Davidson)

You do NOT need a stud center to win in college. You need coaching and/or players. We have neither.

Who's fucking fault is that?

I love that quote because Oregon has a good chance of making it to three tourney bids in a row and a sweet sixteen without a legit big.