Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Comments

• Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    He bleeds purple
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,522
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    He won Arizona a championship in 2001 when the M's won 116 games. Had to beat my Yankees to do so. This was before baseball died, of course.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    He won 4 consecutive Cy Youngs for Arizona and a World Series. It should have been a no-brainer.
  • Options
    dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    What's even more crazy is that he won those 4 consecutive cy young's and finished 2nd in 2003 at ages 36, 37, 38, and 39. And then in 2003 he was in his 40's and still had a great year
    Just an insane pitcher
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,522
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

dhdawg said:

What's even more crazy is that he won those 4 consecutive cy young's and finished 2nd in 2003 at ages 36, 37, 38, and 39. And then in 2003 he was in his 40's and still had a great year
    Just an insane pitcher

I wonder what he was using.

Don't meth around.
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,854
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

He won 4 consecutive Cy Youngs for Arizona and a World Series. It should have been a no-brainer.

Not really

He still played more seasons in Seattle.

It could go either way, but I'm disappointed he's going in with Arizona (and I like the Dbacks).
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,475
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Not really

It could go either way, but I'm disappointed he's going in with Arizona (and I like the Dbacks).
    8 seasons vs 9.5 seasons is damn near a coin flip.

I actually don't think the Cy Young differential mattered as much as the fact he got a WS with the Dbacks. If he wins one with the M's, he probably goes in wearing the S.
  • Options
    phineasphineas Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,724
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    More heart break for the last 4 Ms fans. It never ends for those poor guys
  • Options
    ScroteDawgScroteDawg Member Posts: 238
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment Photogenic
    I don't know what the Mariner version of a coog/doog/hook is, but you'd have to be a clueless one of those to think he wasn't going in as a Diamondback.
  • Options
    QuornDawgQuornDawg Member Posts: 1,162
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Well just let me say this about Randy Johnson. Everyone thinks he got his "Big Unit" nickname because he was tall. His wife was the one who originally gave him that nickname, and it kind of stuck to his baseball career. And early in his baseball career, he threw a lot of balls.

He could throw the ball real fast. And when he wasn't throwing the ball fast, the ball would come in slower. Later in his tenure with the Mariners he was consistently throwing strikes. When he wasn't throwing strikes, he was throwing balls.

But who can forget that magical year of 1995? He turned in a gutty performance, yet he did give up the go ahead run. Fortunately for him, as you all know, 'gar (ILTCHT) came through with that double down the left field line, with the iconic image ingrained in our memories of Griffey running the bases hard, something you rarely saw. I personally soiled my Depends. In fact, I had to change my Depends 7 or 8 times that series. Butt plugs don't help.

If it wasn't for Gar, Johnson would have been the loser of game 5. The Safe (ILTCIT) just may not have been built. Howard Shultz would have bought the Mariners, then later sold them to Clay Bennett and maybe the Mariners would be in Oklahoma City right now, Seattle would still have the Sonics, and Howard Shultz and Clay Bennett would be heroes instead of the vile scum of which they have both become.

So what was the question?

tl; dr
  • Options
    Chris_BenoitChris_Benoit Member Posts: 26
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

Well just let me say this about Randy Johnson. Everyone thinks he got his "Big Unit" nickname because he was tall. His wife was the one who originally gave him that nickname, and it kind of stuck to his baseball career. And early in his baseball career, he threw a lot of balls.

He could throw the ball real fast. And when he wasn't throwing the ball fast, the ball would come in slower. Later in his tenure with the Mariners he was consistently throwing strikes. When he wasn't throwing strikes, he was throwing balls.

But who can forget that magical year of 1995? He turned in a gutty performance, yet he did give up the go ahead run. Fortunately for him, as you all know, 'gar (ILTCHT) came through with that double down the left field line, with the iconic image ingrained in our memories of Griffey running the bases hard, something you rarely saw. I personally soiled my Depends. In fact, I had to change my Depends 7 or 8 times that series. Butt plugs don't help.

If it wasn't for Gar, Johnson would have been the loser of game 5. The Safe (ILTCIT) just may not have been built. Howard Shultz would have bought the Mariners, then later sold them to Clay Bennett and maybe the Mariners would be in Oklahoma City right now, Seattle would still have the Sonics, and Howard Shultz and Clay Bennett would be heroes instead of the vile scum of which they have both become.

So what was the question?

I have a new pillow for you
  • Options
    WilburHooksHandsWilburHooksHands Member Posts: 6,741
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Would have been awesome if he went in as an Astro.
  • Options
    sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208
    5 Awesomes Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper

Would have been awesome if he went in as an Astro.

Expo

• Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,279
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker

Not really

Be disappointed with the organization, as they didn't build a team around him.