Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Terrence Ross

DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,475
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
Swaye's Wigwam
It's sad watching him play against the Spurs. He literally does nothing but run to the corner and pray someone passes it to him for a 3. None of his teammates look interested in giving him the rock. He just does nothing.

Comments

• Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Doogles said:

It's sad watching him play against the Spurs. He literally does nothing but run to the corner and pray someone passes it to him for a 3. None of his teammates look interested in giving him the rock. He just does nothing.

He's not very good. He's a streaky shooter who can dunk. He doesn't score or create off the dribble.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

Doogles said:

He's not very good. He's a streaky shooter who can dunk. He doesn't score or create off the dribble.
    Tell me again how Romar's a good coach or mentor for guys wanting to get to the league?
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

Doogles said:

Tell me again how Romar's a good coach or mentor for guys wanting to get to the league?
    Who gives a shit about what they do in the NBA? Coach K is maligned by some for the lack of NBA success by most of his players.

Romar has had some pretty successful NBA players. Of all the things to criticize him for, getting guys to the NBA and their success isn't it.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    Tequilla said:

Doogles said:

Terrible example. Ross' game improved by leaps and bounds the two years he was at UW.

Romar's not a good coach, but Ross is one of the worst examples of that IMO.
  • Options

Tequilla said:

Doogles said:

Who gives a shit about what they do in the NBA? Coach K is maligned by some for the lack of NBA success by most of his players.

Romar has had some pretty successful NBA players. Of all the things to criticize him for, getting guys to the NBA and their success isn't it.
    You should just stop tonight ... it's not your night.

You could run through a laundry list of guys that have gone through Duke that have had lengthy NBA careers from solid rotational guys for 10+ years to guys that have been multiple time All-Stars.

When it comes to Romar, outside of BRoy, who has Romar produced that has been an All-Star caliber player? He's got a few guys that will be long-term rotational guys in the league like Nate, IT, QPon, Ross (possibly), and a couple of 1 and done types in Hawes and Wroten (maybe). It's not like that's a sterling resume of NBA caliber players.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Doogles said:

You could run through a laundry list of guys that have gone through Duke that have had lengthy NBA careers from solid rotational guys for 10+ years to guys that have been multiple time All-Stars.

When it comes to Romar, outside of BRoy, who has Romar produced that has been an All-Star caliber player? He's got a few guys that will be long-term rotational guys in the league like Nate, IT, QPon, Ross (possibly), and a couple of 1 and done types in Hawes and Wroten (maybe). It's not like that's a sterling resume of NBA caliber players.
    So nobody ever makes fun of Coach K for never having a superstar NBA player? You seem a little angry tonight. Is it your time of the month or something?
  • Options

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Doogles said:

So nobody ever makes fun of Coach K for never having a superstar NBA player? You seem a little angry tonight. Is it your time of the month or something?
    I haven't heard those criticisms of Coach K since about 1988 or so.
  • Options
    dnc said:

Tequilla said:

Doogles said:

Terrible example. Ross' game improved by leaps and bounds the two years he was at UW.

Ross got better ... no doubt about that. Some of that was as much having more opportunity and maturing than anything else.

I'm really torn on what to think of Ross as a player ... I like his skill set but I never thought he had the killer instinct when he was in college and I don't see it in the NBA ... at least on a consistent basis. I feel like he's more just happy to be there than anything else.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Doogles said:

I haven't heard those criticisms of Coach K since about 1988 or so.
    Duke has had a ton of busts. Jay Williams, Danny Ferry (for being picked #2), Bobby Hurley, Cherokee Parks, Tradjan Langdon, Shelden Williams. I don't need a tl,dr detailing the injuries and why some of those guys were busts. Obviously there have been some good ones too such as Hill, Brand, Battier, Boozer, and others who played for a long time. Duke has had spotty NBA success. Coach K is the best college coach since Wooden.

You completely missed the point.The point was that I don't care if every UW player is a bust in the NBA as long as the program wins.
  • Options
    FreeChavezFreeChavez Member Posts: 3,223
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Can i interject and say one of the most annoying things i find about debating college basketball is what the players turn into in their nba careers. Who fucking cares. Romar is hired(along with other coaches) to win with what they have. The college game is so much different than the nba it's no surprise some guys will be better in the nba than they ever were in college and visa versa. Coach K's job is to win at duke, not produce lengthy nba careers. I wonder sometimes if that's why guys aren't successful. They are so worried about making nba stars they forget their job is to win in college.

I could care less what romar's guys have done in the nba. I do care the guy can't get a team to the ncaa's or recruit at all, and everyone stands around and makes every excuse on god's green earth b/c he's not an asshole. Thank jesus for nice people. Sign me up.
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,475
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

dnc said:

Tequilla said:

Doogles said:

Ross got better ... no doubt about that. Some of that was as much having more opportunity and maturing than anything else.

I'm really torn on what to think of Ross as a player ... I like his skill set but I never thought he had the killer instinct when he was in college and I don't see it in the NBA ... at least on a consistent basis. I feel like he's more just happy to be there than anything else.
    It is frustrating to watch. He has all the tools, but lacks the demeanor. Same Height, explosiveness and shooting as Kobe. Just the complete opposite attitude towards wanting to be "the man".

That's what i was noticing, him just standing in the corner, being ignored by teammates, and being okay with it.
  • Options
    I totally got your point ... and if you wanted to pick a program/coach combo to go after, probably a better one to go after would be Tom Izzo as his record has been a little more spotty.

Of the guys on the list you threw up there, Williams and Hurley had their careers derailed because of injuries sustained off the court. Danny Ferry had a 13 year career. And in fairness, when you look back at the 1989 NBA Draft, it is pretty easy to argue that 7 or 8 out of the top 10 picks weren't that great. It just wasn't a good draft. Langdon was what he was ... and he had a solid international career. Williams was another guy that wasn't great ... but had a relatively decent NBA career as a backup (7 years) ... another draft that was fairly top heavy where there was a massive lack of bigs in the draft of quality. And Parks was a guy that had a 10 year NBA career.

Many of the guys that you mentioned were guys that would rank high on the list of guys that Romar's put into the NBA.
  • Options
    GrandpaSankeyGrandpaSankey Member Posts: 956
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Doogles said:

Tequilla said:

dnc said:

Tequilla said:

Doogles said:

It is frustrating to watch. He has all the tools, but lacks the demeanor. Same Height, explosiveness and shooting as Kobe. Just the complete opposite attitude towards wanting to be "the man".

That's what i was noticing, him just standing in the corner, being ignored by teammates, and being okay with it.
    This guy's right you know. Ross is the whole package, minus the rape eyes.