Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Where is the blame for Russell?

HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
He can check out of that play and he made a poor throw. On slants you gotta get the ball out immediately.

Comments

• Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    edited February 2015
    He couldn't check out of it into a run. He can check out under certain parameters. He can't go against the coaching stuff to run into an 8 man box. He can't check out into another pass because it's the exact pass play they wanted against the man to man defense. I'm not really sure what he could have checked into outside of flat out giving the staff the finger.

He didn't make a great throw but throwing it earlier wasn't the solution, the whole purpose of throwing was to to either score or stop the clock on an incompletion to keep the timeout to run on third and fourth down.

Wilson deserves some blame but he's below Bevel, Caroll, Kearse and Lockette on the list of offenders IMO.
  • Options
    I agree that Kearse deserves blame but Russell is still the QB and can question the play. Throwing to the middle of the field in that situation, there is a fair chance it gets picked if its not completed. I just think there is more blame to go around then putting it all on Bevell.
  • Options
    jecorneljecornel Member Posts: 9,599
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    Bevell panicked
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,279
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited February 2015
    jecornel said:

Bevell panicked

You're right, which makes this even more messed up. As an offensive playcaller, you are paid to not panic. Now, if Seattle was out of timeouts, I get it. As a coach you need to realize the timeout available.
  • Options
    SteveInSheltonSteveInShelton Member Posts: 1,611
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

The options for the play should have been...

A. Give it to Lynch. Fake to Lynch and run with Russell.

B. Fake it to Lynch, and roll Russell out for a run pass option. Run it, dump it for an easy TD, or throw it away.

C. If you insist on being retarded, throw a fade to whoever isn't guarded by Browning or Revis.

D. You are a fucking idiot with an IQ of 30 and throw a slant or an out.

Seattle chose option D.

I was thinking this same thing. A fake then roll out to the right made too much sense if they wanted to throw it. It's easy to just throw it away if no one is wide open. A quick slant to a spot is just FS. They didn't give Wilson a chance to hold onto the ball and throw it away if necessary.
  • Options
    topdawgnctopdawgnc Member Posts: 7,838
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper

The options for the play should have been...

A. Give it to Lynch. Fake to Lynch and run with Russell.

B. Fake it to Lynch, and roll Russell out for a run pass option. Run it, dump it for an easy TD, or throw it away.

C. If you insist on being retarded, throw a fade to whoever isn't guarded by Browning or Revis.

D. You are a fucking idiot with an IQ of 30 and throw a slant or an out.

Seattle chose option D.

I was thinking this same thing. A fake then roll out to the right made too much sense if they wanted to throw it. It's easy to just throw it away if no one is wide open. A quick slant to a spot is just FS. They didn't give Wilson a chance to hold onto the ball and throw it away if necessary.
    Plus ... if he is stopped short of the goal, you have to call a time out.

Let's say he catches it and Popeye the Chicken boy arrives a second late and drives him back ... same as a run, which has been pointed out keeps the clock running.
  • Options
    I was thinking Russell fake it to Lynch and keep it. If they had to pass then do a play action. At least use Lynch as a decoy and keep the ball in Russell's hands.
  • Options
    topdawgnctopdawgnc Member Posts: 7,838
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper

I was thinking Russell fake it to Lynch and keep it. If they had to pass then do a play action. At least use Lynch as a decoy and keep the ball in Russell's hands.

Listening to Pete afterward and today ... he saw it as a wasted play. He wanted to call a timeout, couldn't and to Sven's point ... was expecting Bill to.

Having to call two timeouts really, really hurt.

Fuck, I could go crazy psycho analyzing all this bullshit.
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,475
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I was thinking Russell left butt cheek, if that doesn't work, timeout then try right butt cheek, if that doesn't work up, up the hole right before time expires.
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    jecornel said:

Bevell and Carroll panicked

They were rightfully expecting NE to call time out.

• Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    topdawgnc said:

Listening to Pete afterward and today ... he saw it as a wasted play. He wanted to call a timeout, couldn't and to Sven's point ... was expecting Bill to.

Having to call two timeouts really, really hurt.

Fuck, I could go crazy psycho analyzing all this bullshit.
    You don't fucking waste plays in the last minute of the Super Bowl when you're behind.

Fuck.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Sometimes you have to give credit to the other guy making a great play ...

Lockette could have run a better route (may have given away the fact that he was running a slant, and Kearse could have perhaps done a better job of setting the pick (but you CAN'T take a penalty there), but Lockette didn't alligator arm that play. He just simply got beat to the spot in the end.

If you look at the view that Wilson had BEFORE he made the throw, everything looked right on the throw. If you want to be a hair critical, you could have argued that maybe it was just a hair to the outside and could have been lower. But let's be honest, if the Pats player doesn't make an incredible break and beat Lockette to the spot, Lockette's got a perfectly placed ball for the TD.

The play call wasn't great for a number of reasons ... and I don't feel like going into why it was so fucktarded.

But I don't think Wilson's throw was all that bad ... sometimes that shit happens in the NFL.