Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Anheuser-Busch just bought Seattle craft brewery Elysian Brewing Co.

Comments

• ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    Fuck. This. Shit.
  • doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    forbes.com/sites/greatspeculations/2014/12/26/what-anheuser-is-doing-to-win-over-customers-in-the-u-s/

Tl, dr: Total beer consumption down 6% over the last five years, while "craft beer" (because at this point it doesn't mean anything) consumption is up something like 17%. So great move for AB; for Elysian however it's a terrible fucking move, credibility is completely shot.

I've mainly stayed away from Elysian anyways, as their beers aren't a great value proposition next to breweries like Ninkasi, Firestone, or Unibroue.
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 43,640 Standard Supporter
    Purple Drank will never fall victim to a buy out.

What if InBev buys NyQuil?
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 43,640 Standard Supporter

Robitussin, bitch.

Robitussin, bitch.
    If you run out of 'Tussin, put some water in it. Shake it up! Mo' 'Tussin!!!
  • Citrus4TroogsCitrus4Troogs Member Posts: 248

Robitussin, bitch.

Anyday is a good day for going Robotrippin'
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825
    I don't get those that try to yell about companies being sell outs ... Hard to try to tell someone that built a company from scratch when handed an offer that makes them set for life to not take the deal.

You tell me that I can get $50M and have a high paying job for 3 years or so before I retire, I'm asking you were do I sign
    Tequilla said:

I don't get those that try to yell about companies being sell outs ... Hard to try to tell someone that built a company from scratch when handed an offer that makes them set for life to not take the deal.

You tell me that I can get $50M and have a high paying job for 3 years or so before I retire, I'm asking you were do I sign

It's not about the decision to sell by the owners. Obviously they're getting paid. Good for them.

As a consumer, I have serious doubts about the quality of the beer moving forward.

And with so many local options, why not support the smaller businesses? I will be.

Tequilla said:

It's not about the decision to sell by the owners. Obviously they're getting paid. Good for them.

As a consumer, I have serious doubts about the quality of the beer moving forward.

And with so many local options, why not support the smaller businesses? I will be.
    That I understand 100%.

If those were the comments that I've been hearing from the masses about this deal, then so be it.

But the shots have been at the owners for selling ... Why??? If you're complaining about these guys getting paid for starting a company from scratch and building it to what it is to the point that they are getting $50M for selling ... then those fucktards need to find some more granola to eat.

At the end of the day, if AB/InBev fuck with the product to the point that they compromise the quality, it will in theory reduce their investment.
  • doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

That I understand 100%.

If those were the comments that I've been hearing from the masses about this deal, then so be it.

But the shots have been at the owners for selling ... Why??? If you're complaining about these guys getting paid for starting a company from scratch and building it to what it is to the point that they are getting $50M for selling ... then those fucktards need to find some more granola to eat.

At the end of the day, if AB/InBev fuck with the product to the point that they compromise the quality, it will in theory reduce their investment.
    It really doesn't matter if the beer tastes worse, because when Elysian's old customers have to choose between similarly tasting commercial and indie they're going to pick up on the relative authenticity of each beer and go with the craft brewer. Or perhaps only pinko commies like me think that way, but I think not.
  • PurpleJPurpleJ Member Posts: 36,962 Founders Club
    I thought you all drank PBR (LOL!!!!)
    Excuse me while I go drink my Miller Lite
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,474 Founders Club
    edited January 2015
    Tequilla said:

Excuse me while I go drink my Miller Lite merlot that drinks like a cab.

Tequilla said:

Excuse me while I go drink my Miller Lite merlot that drinks like a cab.

I'm the tequila superiority guy ... not the merlot that drinks like a cab superiority guy
  • haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 21,547 Swaye's Wigwam
    Sierra Nevada has been offered 3 times by AB, I believe the last offer was in the 60 mil range, and they told them to go fuck themselves. Good for owners getting the money they deserve, good for owners loving their product enough to not let it go to shit. Either way it'll be interesting.
    haie said:

Sierra Nevada has been offered 3 times by AB, I believe the last offer was in the 60 mil range, and they told them to go fuck themselves. Good for owners getting the money they deserve, good for owners loving their product enough to not let it go to shit. Either way it'll be interesting.

Snev is a top 3 micro brew producer (Sam Adams and New Belgium are 1 and 3). They're worth a LOT more than Elysian. If Elysian sold for $50 million, $60 mil is an insult.