Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Differences between tonight and Vegas Bowl

1. The offensive line. Massively improved. Good push on the run, and they never got near Price. If you give Price time, our offense is very, very potent, because we have some serious playmakers at the skill positions.

2. Discipline on defense. No guys running free. No big plays. No blown assignments. Very good tackling.

3. We have depth now. We wore Boise out.

That was a fantastic win. But Sark has had fantastic wins before. The wise thing to say is, so far, so good.

Comments

• Options
    HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    Tanigawa, Jamora, Ross, Smith, Mickens- that was the difference.
  • Options
    dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I don't think the o-line is that improved, I just think they switched to a scheme that fits the O-line so much better. Gotta give the coaches credit
  • Options
    LoneStarDawgLoneStarDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 13,129
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Great seeing tui roaming the sideline, uw not having a QB coach last year might have been a problem
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    1. FORM TACKLING, how many times did a BSU player get stopped in their tracks preventing 1st downs, Shaq especially stood out in this area.

2. WR's, this is night and fucking day from last year

3. Special teams
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,888
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Not to take credit from UW, but Boise CC returned 10 starters. They'll probably be significantly better by October. It was a very good win though.
  • Options

Not to take credit from UW, but Boise CC returned 10 starters. They'll probably be significantly better by October. It was a very good win though.

of course they'll be significantly better, can't get much worse than tonight
  • Options
    54 fucking carries sure was nice and still being able to throw for over 300 yards.

That is what was most impressive was at no point did Sark have his typical 3 and out where we throw three straight times.

He stuck to the run the entire time. Also ditch the "pro style" in the process. I don't recall UW taking one snap behind center instead they were out of the gun and getting the ball out of there quickly.

Teams will adjust and play up on our WR's but the Huskies will have guys like Smith and Ross who can burn them deep.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,233
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    edited September 2013
    When teams more athletic than Boise pin down our bubble screens, will Sark be able to adjust and go to the run with Sankey and mid-range passes down the middle to stretch things out? Based on last night, the answer is a resounding YES. But based on his history, you have to wait with fingers crossed.
  • Options
    Dick_BDick_B Member Posts: 1,301
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Testing 1
    Speed. Mikkens actually catching the ball. He looked like a 4 star, and Ross is a game changer. Get ASJ in the middle of the field and a lot of defenses are going to have problems.
  • Options
    LoneStarDawgLoneStarDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 13,129
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    ASJ posting up in that fly sweep bubble screen package will be tough to handle.
  • Options
    AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    No fucking lawnmower
  • Options
    Dick_BDick_B Member Posts: 1,301
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Testing 1
    AZDuck said:

No fucking lawnmower

If your going to be negative about the mower (I like to call it the mower) I'm out.

• Options
    SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,240
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club

When teams more athletic than Boise pin down our bubble screens, will Sark be able to adjust and go to the run with Sankey and mid-range passes down the middle to stretch things out? Based on last night, the answer is a resounding YES. But based on his history, you have to wait with fingers crossed.

Ya, I agree. Fingers, toes and everything else crossable crossed, they look like they're going to match up well against most of the PAC. They should have a real shot in every game they play, provided Sark keeps Sarktardo at bay. It's a long season though, this was just the first game, and we've been treated to more mid season slumps than a crack ho between pipe sessions. I'm still in a wait and see mode, but feeling a lot better about the team's chances this year.

My biggest concern is how they stand up to teams like Stanford, especially on the road. Stanford is the most physical team in the conference by a fair margin and it is an away game for the Huskies. People seem to forget, Stanford won the conference title last year, and along the way beat oregon at autzen and UCLA twice in consecutive games. Playing fast is great until drives start stalling, three and outs start piling up, and your defense starts getting pounded, which is exactly what teams like Stanford, and 81% of the SEC, are built to force.

Bottom line, we'll know more after Arizona and Stanford. Those teams represent small ball speed @home and big boy power on the road. Still enjoying the buzz from last night, but waiting to see if this group of Huskies are for real.
  • Options
    MisterEmMisterEm Member Posts: 6,685
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Three thoughts:

1. Way to open up the new digs, dawgs.
    2. Offense should be competitive with Arizona/Oregon the likes (e.g. no excuses for plunger sessions)
    3. Penalties are still worrisome (8 for UW versus 2 for BSU). Will be more of an issue in P12 play.

• Options
    Founders Club
    Good point on the penalties, but you're two thoughts short of the requisite five.
  • Options
    NorthLakeDubNorthLakeDub Member Posts: 47
    5 Up Votes First Comment Photogenic
    1) I can't believe Sark didn't kick a field goal on that 4th and 1. God our coach is so incompetent.

2) Our team played like shit, not even close to their potential. It was clearly apparent that there was absolutely no player development over the off season.

3) Our team was soft. No toughness whatsoever.

4) Fire Sark now before we go 7-6 again.
  • Options
    Mad_SonMad_Son Member Posts: 10,098
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

1) I can't believe Sark didn't kick a field goal on that 4th and 1. God our coach is so incompetent.

2) Our team played like shit, not even close to their potential. It was clearly apparent that there was absolutely no player development over the off season.

Nice Sarkasm
  • Options
    Founders Club
    Mad_Son said:

Nice Sarkasm
    Still a point short

• Options
    PassionPassion Member Posts: 4,622
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    Disagree that "they never got near Price." He was pressured on a few occasions, forced out of the pocket, threw the ball away, and was sacked at least once.

Yes, pass protection was MUCH better (partially because Price got rid of the ball quicker), but I think it's a little too early to breathe a sigh of relief. As you said, so far, so good.