Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

The UW basketball team this year

Comments

• Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    This is probably a good place to mention that Martin Breunig had 31 points tonight at Weber State.
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,476
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited January 2015

YOU LIED TO ME!! YOU LIED TO ME!! YOU SON OF A BITCH!!!
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited January 2015
    dnc said:

This is probably a good place to mention that Martin Breunig had 31 points tonight at Weber State.

I saw awhile back that he was playing well. Averaging over 17 for the season. Shooting over 50% too. Edit: He's actually shooting 63%.

I bet Darrin Johnson will be a good player when he transfers after the season.
  • Options
    BayDawgBayDawg Member Posts: 1,623
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    dnc said:

Did he score 31 points in his Husky career?

I was barely watching Montana play Cal earlier this year, and Montana had guy that looked great. Then I saw it was Bruenig. Jesus Christmas, RoLo had him playing like a scared 6 yr old.

How is Romar a bad basketball coach?

#noballmovementnoplayermovement
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Romar has a good track record of developing guys for the NBA, but he does it in a strange way. I don't like how he completely breaks guys down then rebuilds them.

I remember Pondexter started off his career killing it. He averaged 15 in non conference play. http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/player/washington/quincy-pondexter/game_stats?season=2006-2007&stat_type=1&game_type=1&chart1=minutes&chart2=points&chart3=assists&chart4=rebounds_total&chart5=
    Then conference play starts and he has 25 in one half against Arizona. I was at the game and he was unstoppable. Then Pondexter was almost useless until late in his junior year. Romar broke him down and completely changed his game. It ended up working out, but he had a strange career.

Dentmon is another example. Decent as a freshman than useless until his senior year. Darin Johnson looked pretty good last year and completely sucks this year because he's been reigned in. Romar has broken him down and now he needs to be rebuilt. He's scared to shoot and makes no impact except for 1 or 2 fuck ups every game. Maybe the same thing happened with Bruenig. Bruenig looked like he sucked when he was here, but that obviously wasn't the case. You don't average 17 and shoot 63% without talent.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    It's not uncommon that guys need to learn how to play smart basketball. You can play well when you don't know what you are doing ... but you definitely aren't making consistent winning plays.

It's a fine line
  • Options
    MakaDawgMakaDawg Member Posts: 492
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    What are the chances Goss and Upshaw return next year?

If we lose Saturday or against OSU, this season is fucked (probably already is).

My biggest beef with this team is that it doesn't even feel like a Romar team. For all my problems with Romar (I think he's a decent, not great coach) I've never seen his teams as a whole play so frickin timidly as this one.

But maybe it's because we don't really have a go to scorer. Still, it's like they all think they're the little inbreed player on Hoosiers when they're on offense.

As long as Romar is here, I'd rather go back to the intense defense/run and gun offense of old.

Based on how athletic the incoming recruiting class is, we'll hopefully get back to that.

This team could turn it around, but that game against Stanford annoyed the fuck out of me.

• Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

Romar has a good track record of developing guys for the NBA, but he does it in a strange way. I don't like how he completely breaks guys down then rebuilds them.

I remember Pondexter started off his career killing it. He averaged 15 in non conference play. http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/player/washington/quincy-pondexter/game_stats?season=2006-2007&stat_type=1&game_type=1&chart1=minutes&chart2=points&chart3=assists&chart4=rebounds_total&chart5=
    Then conference play starts and he has 25 in one half against Arizona. I was at the game and he was unstoppable. Then Pondexter was almost useless until late in his junior year. Romar broke him down and completely changed his game. It ended up working out, but he had a strange career.

Dentmon is another example. Decent as a freshman than useless until his senior year. Darin Johnson looked pretty good last year and completely sucks this year because he's been reigned in. Romar has broken him down and now he needs to be rebuilt. He's scared to shoot and makes no impact except for 1 or 2 fuck ups every game. Maybe the same thing happened with Bruenig. Bruenig looked like he sucked when he was here, but that obviously wasn't the case. You don't average 17 and shoot 63% without talent.

I agree to some degree.

OTOH, this is a great counterargument to the idea that Romar just rolls the ball out there and lets them play.
  • Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,912
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

So what you're saying is Romar is going to blow everything up and burn all the bridges.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Goss should definitely come back. While he will always have the lack of athleticism mark, he could really improve his stock if he became a better shooter. 24% from 3 isn't going to cut it. He needs to get that up to the mid 30's.

I still think Upshaw's stock will continue to rise. I didn't even think he played well the past two games and he still averaged 13 points, 9 boards, and 4.5 blocks on 11-17 shooting. It's not that he is a truly great player, but there aren't many bigs with his ability and potential.
  • Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

Goss should definitely come back. While he will always have the lack of athleticism mark, he could really improve his stock if he became a better shooter. 24% from 3 isn't going to cut it. He needs to get that up to the mid 30's.

I still think Upshaw's stock will continue to rise. I didn't even think he played well the past two games and he still averaged 13 points, 9 boards, and 4.5 blocks on 11-17 shooting. It's not that he is a truly great player, but there aren't many bigs with his ability and potential.

Stop stealing my shit, fucko