Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

5+1 > 8

Now that the season is all but over ...

With an 8 team playoff, who would you have wanted to see as seeds 7 & 8?

Georgia Tech? Arizona? Missouri? Ole Miss? Mississippi State?

Five conference champion automatic bids plus 1 at large is perfect solution.

Comments

• Options
    whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,451
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    topdawgnc said:

Now that the season is all but over ...

With an 8 team playoff, who would you have wanted to see as seeds 7 & 8?

Georgia Tech? Arizona? Missouri? Ole Miss? Mississippi State?

Five conference champion automatic bids plus 1 at large is perfect solution.

It's a perfect solution... for this season.

It's going to vary every year. Sometimes there'll be 3 teams, 4 teams, 7 teams or 8 teams. This is the first year we've had this system and the ideal number is 6. Let's see what the next few years have to say before making any conclusions.
  • Options
    ThumpThump Member Posts: 793
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    No to Zona & Mizzu

Yes to GT & Mich State

Why not 3 at large bids? I just think 8 > 6
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I don't like 6 because two teams get a bye then. It would be more politics over the two teams that got the bye this year.

I like 16 and no bowls, or the bowls are the NIT. 8 is better than 4. I don't like 6.
  • Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited January 2015
    The perfect solution is four super conferences with championship games... then bowl tie ins.

B1G & Pac-16 to the Rose @ 3:30 Eastern, SEC vs. ACC/Big-12 Hybrid in the Sugar at 8:00 Eastern.

Orange bowl gets the second place team from Big-12/ACC hybrid and B1G @ 12:00 EST. Fiesta gets second place team from SEC and Pac-16 @ 11:00 Eastern.

Easy.
  • Options
    topdawgnctopdawgnc Member Posts: 7,838
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper

I don't like 6 because two teams get a bye then. It would be more politics over the two teams that got the bye this year.

I like 16 and no bowls, or the bowls are the NIT. 8 is better than 4. I don't like 6.

Why do you hate conference championships?
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

The perfect solution is four super conferences with championship games... then bowl tie ins.

B1G & Pac-16 to the Rose @ 3:30 Eastern, SEC vs. ACC/Big-12 Hybrid in the Sugar at 8:00 Eastern.

Orange bowl gets the second place team from Big-12/ACC hybrid and B1G @ 12:00 EST. Fiesta gets second place team from SEC and Pac-16 @ 11:00 Eastern.

Easy.

Merge the Big 10 and Big 12. You can't keep the history of the Rose Bowl just because you like it.
  • Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754

Easy.

Merge the Big 10 and Big 12. You can't keep the history of the Rose Bowl just because you like it.
    I can't?!?
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,280
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker

Easy.

What about my doctor?
  • Options
    sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208
    5 Awesomes Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Title of this post really thru me off. I thought it was shorthand for "5 of those games we played felt like victories combined with the signature win against Southwestern Tennessee Tech State, this felt like an 8 win season."
  • Options
    EwaDawgEwaDawg Member Posts: 3,993

Six is MUCH WORSE than FOUR. Never heard an acceptable way to do six. It just isn't fair. Eight might be the best as it allows for one mulligan if you want loosers to have a chance. Sixteen is too much. It takes a month (4 week ends) just to finish the playoff.

Four works . Just nut the hell up and win.

Maybe in a few years (like 10 or so) Eight will be enough.

• Options
    dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    5 automatic conference champions + 3 at large bids.
  • Options
    dhdawg said:

So who is the extra two this year? What about last year or the year before?

By the end of regular season you are down to 12 teams who can make an argument, once you have the conference championships you are down to a legit 6.

I can buy 4 ... but it does leave out one conference champion and one team who gets fucked. But three teams getting fucked isn't likely.

I don't want to see Michigan State get beat by tOSU or Oregon again.

Georgia Tech got beat by FSU.

Ole Miss proved they put together one good game and then shit the bed.

Miss State was overrated.

Clemson? Fuck that.

To stay at four ... then create four super conferences with a conference championship game. That gives you your 8 team field.

Create a mid-major national championship to keep the Boise State's and Marshall's of the world happy.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    topdawgnc said:

dhdawg said:

By the end of regular season you are down to 12 teams who can make an argument, once you have the conference championships you are down to a legit 6.

I can buy 4 ... but it does leave out one conference champion and one team who gets fucked. But three teams getting fucked isn't likely.

Clemson? Fuck that.

To stay at four ... then create four super conferences with a conference championship game. That gives you your 8 team field.

Create a mid-major national championship to keep the Boise State's and Marshall's of the world happy.
    The at large's would have been TCU, Miss State, and probably Michigan State. Not every game can be between undefeated teams or a new match up. Not every game will live up to the hype either. There will be blowouts, just like there were in BCS championships before the playoffs. There is no perfect solution. Either someone gets left out or the games suck. There's nothing you can really do about it.
  • Options
    dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    This year 6 was ideal, but that isn't the case every year .
    8 teams as roadie says takes some of the 1st round bye politics out of it
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,485
    Swaye's Wigwam
    People seem to like underdog teams in the b ball tournament. If you go to 8 fans would be fine with 2 loss teams winning.

4 teams with these bowl games works for me. The NFL plays this weekend. College doesn't have to be like them
  • Options

topdawgnc said:

dhdawg said:

Clemson? Fuck that.

The at large's would have been TCU, Miss State, and probably Michigan State. Not every game can be between undefeated teams or a new match up. Not every game will live up to the hype either. There will be blowouts, just like there were in BCS championships before the playoffs. There is no perfect solution. Either someone gets left out or the games suck. There's nothing you can really do about it.
    Michigan State lost to both tOSU and Oregon ... why would they be involved?

Ole Miss and Miss State were way overrated because they were in the SEC.

If you took conference championships that is literally the first round of the playoffs.

Would you really want to see Arizona or Clemson, or Missouri, or Georgia Tech as one of the two at large?

Last year?

You had more of an argument with Missouri and tOSU, but they both lost their conference championship games.

Your plus one would likely have been Alabama or Oregon.

Again ... none of those teams belonged.
  • Options

People seem to like underdog teams in the b ball tournament. If you go to 8 fans would be fine with 2 loss teams winning.

4 teams with these bowl games works for me. The NFL plays this weekend. College doesn't have to be like them

The fuck is an NFL?
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,485
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • Options
    drogginsdroggins Member Posts: 804
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Make it a 28 team playoff. Top 4 conference champs get first round byes. Games are played at the higher seeds' home turf with final four and title games played at the big venues.

Make the regular season a minimum of 10 games, teams can play more if they wish. Teams have to play a minimum of 8 conference regular season games. Teams must play a minimum of 2 non-conference games with teams from the FBS. Each conference must have a title game to be eligible for the playoffs.

A committee is required to seed the top 28 teams. The top 4 seeded conference champions get automatic first round byes. The remaining 24 teams play each other in the first round. Higher seeds hosts each playoff game until there are 4 teams remaining. The final four and title games are held at the large venues.