Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Andrew Andrews

He's been the whipping boy for Husky Bball for the last two years, and I've definitely contributed my fair share to that... But he's playing good basketball right now. He's a great complimentary piece to NWG in the backcourt. NWG is the high IQ floor general, and AA has the shortest memory in CBB. That can be a good thing as long as he's not the #1 option.

He redshirted his true freshman year, so it seems like we may be getting the Romar senior year breakout player in his junior season. He's actually averaging .5 more turnovers per game compared to last season, which surprised me, but he's upped his 3pt% from 28% to 37% and that's a good sign. He's taking better shots and making them more consistently.

Comments

• Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    He's actually shooting about the same from the floor this year as he was last year - but the big improvements have been in that he's shooting better from 3 point range and better from the line.

Normally you wouldn't say that taking more 3's are better shots for a player, but for Andrews they probably are as most of his misses from inside the arc tend to be of the out of control nature leading to transition opportunities going the other way.

He's still maddening to watch at times and you're absolutely right in that he's very much an irrational confidence guy.

If he continues to improve as a player (and his 2 point FG % rises back up), you have a chance to see some further growth from him. My fear is that he looks at the point totals and it feeds his irrational confidence.
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,475
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited December 2014
    This team needs a guy like him with a quick release and fearlessness because we look really hesitant from outside. Nobody on the team has the confidence to jack it up except Andrews so there is value in that.

He can be really frustrating when he's running the floor because you can see him about to go full retard and there is nothing you can do to stop it. Overton did the same thing, but at least Overton would D somebody up and make them his Ho by the end of the night.

If he can resist the temptation to try and make the SportsCenter highlight when it's not there, then he will really begin to shine.

• Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Doogles said:

This team needs a guy like him with a quick release and fearlessness because we look really hesitant from outside. Nobody on the team has the confidence to jack it up except Andrews so there is value in that.

He can be really frustrating when he's running the floor because you can see him about to go full retard and there is nothing you can do to stop it. Overton did the same thing, but at least Overton would D somebody up and make them his Ho by the end of the night.

If he can resist the temptation to try and make the SportsCenter highlight when it's not there, then he will really begin to shine.

El oh el. Pimpin ain't easy.

Andrews is fearless. Sometimes the confidence gets the best of him, but after watching the passive play from some of our other "star" players, it's actually kind of refreshing.
  • Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,910
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    I'm hoping that with the new recruiting_-oriented staff and the recent recruiting trend, offering and having to settle for guys like Andrews will be a thing of the past. See also Jahmel Taylor, Shawn Kemp, Dierxxx, Mark McLaughlin(lol), Blackwell, etc.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I officially accepted Andrews after the Utep game. We will lose a few conference games because he goes 2-13 with 5 TO's, but he will also win us a couple of games hitting clutch shots and free throws.

He's also improved. More TO's or not, it seems like he's been more in control this year and not jacking up as many bad shots. He still pisses me off with his passing. His court vision is terrible.