Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

It's interesting to go back and read this article I wrote in July

2»

Comments

• Options
    IrishDawg22IrishDawg22 Member Posts: 2,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I'm still somewhat disappointed by the season. It wasn't all bad, but it could have been better. The transition was tougher than I thought it would be. I'm still reasonably optimistic for the future, but it seems like many here are of the thought it is a guarantee that Petersen will eventually win championships. The Pac 12 is a tough conference and it will be tough sledding. Other teams have good coaches and are recruiting well too.

I think too much is being made about improvement. For one, the last two opponents are terrible. I would like to be more optimistic about how fast and confident we played, but we have played fast and confident against shitty opponents for a few years now. Arizona was a solid game, but they aren't that good either. They had a season where almost everything went right for them.

Improvement is not always linear. Sark's first two teams seemed improved at the end of the year (cue Sarktastic reminded me that Petersen isn't Sark). It doesn't always carry over to the next season. Some of the guys who are partly responsible for the improvement this year will be gone next year.
  • Options
    IrishDawg22IrishDawg22 Member Posts: 2,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    And for the record I am a huge Coach Pete fan. But I can guarantee he is also very disappointed in the results of the season and I bet he wishes he had a couple key moments back from several games.

Also the myth of the "shitty" Oline needs to be addressed. The Dawgs were #3 in sacks given up in the Pac 12, and this is with a QB who takes 2 days to go through his reads, and panics if he feels a slight breeze. They were also #3 in rushing yards in the Pac 12 and were able to run the ball effectively in every game other than Stanford & Oregon. They were able to pound it vs. some of the perceived talent rich teams from the south.

One of Pete's greatest assets was the fact that he didn't always have the best talent, but his teams were always the best prepared. I am sure he gave himself a lower grade than normal this year.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

And for the record I am a huge Coach Pete fan. But I can guarantee he is also very disappointed in the results of the season and I bet he wishes he had a couple key moments back from several games.

Also the myth of the "shitty" Oline needs to be addressed. The Dawgs were #3 in sacks given up in the Pac 12, and this is with a QB who takes 2 days to go through his reads, and panics if he feels a slight breeze. They were also #3 in rushing yards in the Pac 12 and were able to run the ball effectively in every game other than Stanford & Oregon. They were able to pound it vs. some of the perceived talent rich teams from the south.

One of Pete's greatest assets was the fact that he didn't always have the best talent, but his teams were always the best prepared. I am sure he gave himself a lower grade than normal this year.

The OL played a lot better from the middle of the season on. We ran all over Arizona. We ran very well against UCLA too. The pass protection after the Stanford game was pretty solid. Unfortunately, all those players are gone.
  • Options
    CaptainPJCaptainPJ Member Posts: 2,986
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes

Derek, do you feel any different now?

The 8-5 record this season is a cause for concern. The season was a disappointment.

The season was a disappointment by any measure, but I still feel we're in good hands for two reasons. 1. The player development we saw from Danny Shelton to Budda Baker. 2. The team played hard and aggressively for a full 60 minutes the last three games. Like something had clicked.

Combined with Petersen's track record, I feel okay about things heading into the off season. Am I overly rationalizing? I don't think so. Maybe it's a survival mechanism. ;) <----</p>
    Like the Oregon State game? :wink:
  • Options
    doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper

Looks like Damone was right.

I called 8-5 buttfuck. Everyone including damoan shit tree trunks.
    I gave you credit in the other thread fuck o dear.
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,062
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Cunt is right. Most of us who saw 10 wins were already moving goalposts midway through the preseason shitshow. Expectations didn't change, but the reality we weren't going to meet them sure as fuck did.
  • Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Not sure how someone could say that season wasn't a disappointment given the talent on D and the returning starters along the OL. Some games were breathtakingly bad, with small-timey decisions abound. Stanford fake punt being the most notable.
  • Options
    DugtheDoogDugtheDoog Member Posts: 3,180
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Peetamus just needs time to get his own guys in there.
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Gladstone said:

Not sure how someone could say that season wasn't a disappointment given the talent on D and the returning starters along the OL. Some games were breathtakingly bad, with small-timey decisions abound. Stanford fake punt being the most notable.

You're just looking at surface level stuff, you need to dig deeper.
  • Options
    priapismpriapism Member Posts: 2,036
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    Bleenor knew this article and comments were going to get bumped.
  • Options
    AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    edited December 2014
    It is kind of refreshing to read the comments here. People actually going "yeah, I was wrong about that," and actually owning it.

Good job, guys!