Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

If FSU beats Oregon

creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,743
First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
edited December 2014 in Hardcore Husky Board
It'll be because of Dalvin Cook. The Hurricane faithful were all VERY disappointed on missing out him last year (he's a Miami kid), and the Hurricanes recruit an elite RB every year even when they're asleep. They got Yearby instead, who may turn out to be great, but everyone down there who knows HS football knew what Cook brings to the table.

The kid is fucking ridiculous. he's about 6'0, so watching him run with speed and cutting ability makes you think he's a smaller dude, but he's got power to go with the athleticism.

Now that Florida State has figured out its offensive line issues, whatever they were, and they have this kid going, that will be Oregon's undoing unless they play like they did against Arizona.

If the Oregon D who showed up against Cal and WSU shows up, it's a route. If the one that showed up against UCLA, UW, Arizona 2, OSU, etc., then it's a game.

Comments

• Options
    AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    fair poonts all
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,381
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I think it's a high scoring entertaining game. More entertaining for me if FSU wins but still
  • Options
    edited December 2014

I think it's a high scoring entertaining game. More entertaining for me if FSU wins but still

one big diff for FSU, which has shown up all year long, is how much they miss Benjamin. I'm sorry man ... when you have a strong kid who is 6'5", can run, jump, and has good hands, that is a fucking handful for college defenses to deal with. they miss him big time, and I think w/ Oregon's corners, it's not going to be Greene and the other true wideouts that beat Oregon. It's going to be Cook and O'Leary, IF, and this is a big IF, Winston is smart enough to let it be those guys.

I don't t think squinty winty beats Oreong in a shootout with Mariota. if he's patient, takes what Oregon gives him, etc., then I think they have a good shot.

If he turns it over like he's been turning it over, it will be a long night for the Noles.

I think Oregon's been conservative with Mariota running the ball in order to save him a full season for the Heisman and to save him for a run at the title.

I think the gloves come off now and he'll be taking off a lot more, and we all know he can kill on the ground.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

one big diff for FSU, which has shown up all year long, is how much they miss Benjamin. I'm sorry man ... when you have a strong kid who is 6'5", can run, jump, and has good hands, that is a fucking handful for college defenses to deal with. they miss him big time, and I think w/ Oregon's corners, it's not going to be Greene and the other true wideouts that beat Oregon. It's going to be Cook and O'Leary, IF, and this is a big IF, Winston is smart enough to let it be those guys.

I don't t think squinty winty beats Oreong in a shootout with Mariota. if he's patient, takes what Oregon gives him, etc., then I think they have a good shot.

If he turns it over like he's been turning it over, it will be a long night for the Noles.

I think Oregon's been conservative with Mariota running the ball in order to save him a full season for the Heisman and to save him for a run at the title.

I think the gloves come off now and he'll be taking off a lot more, and we all know he can kill on the ground.
    So it's not a high scoring entertaining game? Georgia Tech ran all night and FSU ran and dinked and it was still high scoring and entertaining

Baby Bear will have a good night and Oregon corners are like everyone's, handcuffed by the rules.

29 straight is 29 straight. The best team Oregon has seen. I think it's a toss up
  • Options
    edited December 2014

So it's not a high scoring entertaining game? Georgia Tech ran all night and FSU ran and dinked and it was still high scoring and entertaining

Baby Bear will have a good night and Oregon corners are like everyone's, handcuffed by the rules.

29 straight is 29 straight. The best team Oregon has seen. I think it's a toss up
    could be a shoot out and high scoring. I don't know. I just think if I'm playing the odds and I'm FSU, I'd rather cram it down Oregon's throat all night and keep their O off the field. I think if they go back and forth with scores, that plays into Oregon's hands because I think they're better at that and I think Jameis' confidence exceeds his abilities at times and is thus prone to mistakes.

That's just what I'm hearing. Don't go twisting.
  • Options
    JaveJave Member Posts: 43
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Testing 1
    Cook 155att 905yds 8 touchdowns
    Freeman 230att 1299yds 16 touchdowns

Seems to me to be about equal minus the hype.
  • Options
    CokeGreaterThanPepsiCokeGreaterThanPepsi Member Posts: 7,646
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Cook is awesome to watch, O'Leary is a great TE. But whenever FSU needs a play or a big catch Jameis looks to Rashad Greene.

Still.... Oregon by 14+ sadly
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,279
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2014
    Oregon's offense schematically is also a huge mismatch to FSU's defense. FSU is large upfront and on the edges, but aren't very fast. Just like GT, Oregon should be able to outflank the FSU line rather easily. The biggest key is if FSU's defensive backs will be able to stay disciplined and tackle in space. I think the opposite, if the Oregon D that played in the Conference Championship shows up in the Rose Bowl, it will be an Oregon route. If they don't then I see a close game, which most certaintly favors FSU.
  • Options

Probably. I also think the Mich. State team they took to the woodshed in the second half is in that same zip code. You made much of Ohio State beating them, and we now see that THAT Ohio State team is for real, and we both know that shit happens in conference play.

An FSU/Michigan State game would not be a game I'd want to lay down a lot of $$ on, and Oregon handled them once they discovered Freeman, and their D, surprisingly, was up to the task.

I had Michigan State in a route in that game, and after it, my view of Oregon changed quite a bit.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I was trolling at that time but I was on Ohio State early. Glad to see they made it.

What Oregon did to Michigan State is meaningless at this point.

It's going to be a close game

Cook it
  • Options
    edited December 2014

I was trolling at that time but I was on Ohio State early. Glad to see they made it.

What Oregon did to Michigan State is meaningless at this point.

It's going to be a close game

Cook it

You trolling? No way.

Not at all meaningless Race. That was a classic setup game for the Oregon that existed prior to this iteration. La Mike, La Kenjon, La DeAnthony and even La Byron are guys who can kill you in space, but you need to give them space (though I will say that LaMichael James ran very hard and physical for a little dude, but a las he was a little dude and physics is physics).

I think the addition of Freeman has affected the entire offense. Kid is a truck and likes to hit but at the same time doesn't slow them down. It's a big change my freng. You can see it when Tyner gets in ... that fucker runs like his life depends on it, because he knows if he wants reps he needs to bring it.

Yes, it'll be a close game. I don't think there is a team in the country who can legitimately bust FSU's ballz in a big game. Too many athuletes and Fisher is a good coach.

That said, this FSU is not last year's FSU, and they do miss Benjamin, as good as Greene may be.

Dalvin Cook. He will be the reason if FSU wins. Cook it.
  • Options
    JaWarrenJaHookerJaWarrenJaHooker Member Posts: 1,980
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Oregon always looks like they're going to win it all.

Then they lose.
  • Options
    CanardCanard Member Posts: 504
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    You always talk like you're gonna make it back to the top, and then don't. We all have our crosses to bear.
  • Options
    HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,523
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    Are FSU's LBs not up to par with their LB's last year (I didn't watch the GT / FSU game)? They need to stop the sweeps outside and I wonder if FSU watched the Seahawks vs. Eagles...that is how you defend that offense!

They could also do some blitz exchanges where the DE on the RB side crashes down to take the RB off the read and then a LB loops on a blitz to take Mariota. Better do it with a fast LB or safety though.

FSU gets Karlos Williams back. If I'm FSU, I pound away with a massive OL and then use Williams for power and Cook for speed (who is still 200 pounds).

It looks like FSU's OL averages about 320-325 lbs with 4 seniors starting. Wow.

Oregon's offense schematically is also a huge mismatch to FSU's defense. FSU is large upfront and on the edges, but aren't very fast. Just like GT, Oregon should be able to outflank the FSU line rather easily. The biggest key is if FSU's defensive backs will be able to stay disciplined and tackle in space. I think the opposite, if the Oregon D that played in the Conference Championship shows up in the Rose Bowl, it will be an Oregon route. If they don't then I see a close game, which most certaintly favors FSU.

• Options
    HFNY said:

Are FSU's LBs not up to par with their LB's last year (I didn't watch the GT / FSU game)? They need to stop the sweeps outside and I wonder if FSU watched the Seahawks vs. Eagles...that is how you defend that offense!

They could also do some blitz exchanges where the DE on the RB side crashes down to take the RB off the read and then a LB loops on a blitz to take Mariota. Better do it with a fast LB or safety though.

FSU gets Karlos Williams back. If I'm FSU, I pound away with a massive OL and then use Williams for power and Cook for speed (who is still 200 pounds).

It looks like FSU's OL averages about 320-325 lbs with 4 seniors starting. Wow.

Someone like Race who follows them will have to answer about the on par part, but they did lose Telvin Smith and Christian Jones - Smith was a real player and I think was their leading guy in tackles. On the D line you know they're going to miss Jernigan, but as cliche as it is to say, FSU is one of those programs, particularly when they've got it going like they do now, that does seem to reload and at least adequately replace great players. The guy I don't think they replaced is Benjamin. As I've said, the 6'5" types who can play are really a nightmare, and he was. As good as Greene is, Benjamin added that guy you just can't cover if the ball is thrown where it needs to be.
  • Options
    CaptainPJCaptainPJ Member Posts: 2,986
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes

Someone watched 'College GameDay' this afternoon.

Thanks for the insight, Fleen's.