Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

I'll defend Peterman. Players fucked this up, not him

2»

Comments

• Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,939
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

Here's bizarro-world UW/Zona game scenario that had a greater probability than what actually happened.
    -Pete chooses to down the ball 3 times.
    -With somewhere between 7 and 15 seconds left, UW has to snap the ball to Durkee
    -Zona sends all out rush on the punter
    -Durkee bobbles a high snap, then gets assraped by 3 Zona players while a 4th runs the ball into the end zone
    -Kim, Millen, and everyone else goes nuts because Pete didn't do the "sure thing" which was to run the ball a couple times with sure-handed Cooper instead of giving the other team a chance at getting the ball back, especially when we had snapping problems all day and a slow punter.

What college coach would have taken a knee 3 times and punted when they were up by 1 point? I've never seen that shit happen. What I have seen in nearly identical situations is exactly what Pete called. However, I've never seen a RB put the ball on the ground in that situation.

Since I'm a realist and an asshole and don't have any problem shitting on the players, here's what lost us this 1 point game.

1) A QB who fumbled the ball twice without being touched (cost us at a 10 point swing) - Coaching can fix that. It's the not first game in which Miles has forced his own fumble.

2) A longsnapper snap the ball past the holder on an extra point (cost us 1 point) - Coaching. If we blamed fuckhead Johnny Nansen and ultimately Sark for shitty ST play under, Pete gets the blame here.

3) A kicker clank a long, but very makeable field goal (cost us 3 points) - Meh, it happens. Missed FGs happen.

4) A QB who called a snap with 7 seconds left when trying to run the clock out (cost us 3 points/ winning field goal) - Coaching again. Someone should've been in Miley's ear telling him to not snap the ball until there was less than 3 seconds on the clock.

and finally
    5) A 6th year RB who, in a situation where all he has to do is hold the ball and go down, tries to make a move and coughs it up - Coaching. Again. If you're calling a running play, there should've been a coach in Cooper's ear telling him both hands on the ball, don't fight for extra yardage and give the defense more opportunity than needed to force a fumble.

In all cases, these are not coaching issues (unless you are coaching middle school), these are issues of players being boneheads and not doing the simplest parts of their jobs. I don't fault the coaches for not spending extra time with Masiel practicing his extra point snaps this week, or giving Cyler practice holding onto the ball while he runs with it, or making sure 28 year old Deontae Cooper knows that he should hold the ball with 2 hands in that situation.

Does this look like a particularly well-coached and disciplined team? No. The countless penalties fucked us up as well and Pete does deserve blame for that but he deserves a very small portion of the blame for this loss. The coaches put the players in position to win the game (500 yards of offense, good defense) and they found every way imaginable to fuck it up.

What I find hilarious in the outrage by Kim and his retards about "how dare Petersen defend his decision not to kneel down 3 times and punt? He's so arrogant!!!"

He's defending it because it was the right decision, a decision any other coach in America would have made,and it should have never been an issue.

Taking a knee makes sense in that situation but I also see the logic of trying to get another 1st down to completely ice the game.

I haven't see what Peterman said about his chart but I'm guessing he had something that said, if there's more than this much time left, run the ball or if there's less than this much time, take a knee. I have a hell of a lot more faith in a guy that has that shit planned in advance compared to a fat fuck like Sark who goes with his enormous gut feelings.

Imagine the outrage if it had been D Washington with his well-documented fumbling problems in there running the ball on 4th down.
    Sark is the best play caller in America, enough said on that.
    On the pacific twelves network, former coach Neuheisel said that every coach has a guy up in the box that has these charts. One side has the typical down and distance scenarios while the other has various clock situations.
    Exactly. Why worry about making a mistake in the heat of the moment when you can have that shit planned out in advance?
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,634
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    NYCdawg said:

wait a minute...whether you run or take a knee 3 times, assuming they don't get a 1st down running it, using your frame, there would've been "7 to 15 seconds left". your durkee-has-to-punt scenario would've played out either way right? durkee punted 5 times on Saturday...were any of those poor snaps? sorry but if we had to punt with "7 to 15 seconds left", i'll take my chances but there's a scenario where you milk the clock a bit on 2nd and 3rd downs while taking a knee that would've prevented you from having to punt it in the first place.

Or Cooper breaks loose on 1st, 2nd, or 3rd down, moves the chains, then fucks the prom queen.
  • Options
    NYCdawgNYCdawg Member Posts: 52
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Testing 1 5 Up Votes
    TTJ said:

NYCdawg said:

wait a minute...whether you run or take a knee 3 times, assuming they don't get a 1st down running it, using your frame, there would've been "7 to 15 seconds left". your durkee-has-to-punt scenario would've played out either way right?

If you can't see the gigantic fallacy in this logic, there is literally no helping you.

actually its spot on.

• Options
    SteveInSheltonSteveInShelton Member Posts: 1,611
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    I was more pissed over Tanigawa coming back in after halftime. I've never seen a center not be benched with that many botched snaps. That's a pretty big detail for a "details oriented" coach to just gloss over like he doesn't give a fuck.
  • Options
    UWerentThereManUWerentThereMan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,475
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

I was more pissed over Tanigawa coming back in after halftime. I've never seen a center not be benched with that many botched snaps. That's a pretty big detail for a "details oriented" coach to just gloss over like he doesn't give a fuck.

True but Tanigawa came out way better in te 2nd. Seems a little position coaching was done at the half.
  • Options
    CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Cylers fumbles are beyond retarded and coachable. Fucking pothead just forgets the ball is in his hands and he just randomly opens then. I have never seen anything like it.
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,476
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    NYCdawg said:

TTJ said:

NYCdawg said:

wait a minute...whether you run or take a knee 3 times, assuming they don't get a 1st down running it, using your frame, there would've been "7 to 15 seconds left". your durkee-has-to-punt scenario would've played out either way right?

If you can't see the gigantic fallacy in this logic, there is literally no helping you.

actually its spot on.

It's not spot on because by virtue of taking the time to hand off the ball to the rb and the time it takes the running back to go into contact, get tackled and have the whistle blown is much longer than "hike, kneel".

Like he said, Cyler should be snapping it with 1-2 seconds on the game clock instead of 6, plus the additional 4-5 seconds of running a play = probably no time at the end of game aka eliminating that 7-15 second window of punting.
  • Options
    NYCdawgNYCdawg Member Posts: 52
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Testing 1 5 Up Votes
    edited November 2014

It's not spot on because by virtue of taking the time to hand off the ball to the rb and the time it takes the running back to go into contact, get tackled and have the whistle blown is much longer than "hike, kneel".

Like he said, Cyler should be snapping it with 1-2 seconds on the game clock instead of 6, plus the additional 4-5 seconds of running a play = probably no time at the end of game aka eliminating that 7-15 second window of punting.
    Hence the reason I said "there's a scenario where you milk the clock a bit on 2nd and 3rd downs while taking a knee that would've prevented you from having to punt it in the first place". QB takes the snap (preferably behind a beefed up line to buy a little more time), steps back from center with 2 hands on the ball then goes to the ground just before getting hit. This would've taken off as much time as a handoff and the risk of the rock getting stripped out is lower.

• Options
    topdawgnctopdawgnc Member Posts: 7,838
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    edited November 2014

Cylers fumbles are beyond retarded and coachable. Fucking pothead just forgets the ball is in his hands and he just randomly opens then. I have never seen anything like it.

The reality is Cyler has Baby Hands: