Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Letter I'm sending today to the UW AD. Please read.

Comments

• Options
    NEnglanddawgNEnglanddawg Member Posts: 27
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Photogenic

It reminds my that the crisp fall days with my 2 moms will never be replicated. Those days are over and much of what I loved about college football are gone. Even the crisp fall days are gone. So far we've had 4 blazing hot games and one windy rainy piece of shit. I even hate the "playoff". The big 10/Pac-10/8 Rose bowl was seriously special. So much of what made me gravitate to college football vs the NFL has been eroded to the point my enthusiasm for it is at an all time low. If UW were a decent program I'd have a bit more fun, but it's so much more than that. I'm not even really talking about UW,just the NCAA game in general. And if I have to explain it to you, you wouldn't understand.

What he said.
  • Options
    whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,474
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

It reminds my that the crisp fall days with my 2 moms will never be replicated. Those days are over and much of what I loved about college football are gone. Even the crisp fall days are gone. So far we've had 4 blazing hot games and one windy rainy piece of shit. I even hate the "playoff". The big 10/Pac-10/8 Rose bowl was seriously special. So much of what made me gravitate to college football vs the NFL has been eroded to the point my enthusiasm for it is at an all time low. If UW were a decent program I'd have a bit more fun, but it's so much more than that. I'm not even really talking about UW,just the NCAA game in general. And if I have to explain it to you, you wouldn't understand.

• Options
    oregonblitzkriegoregonblitzkrieg Member Posts: 15,288
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Here's a thought for you: Your tradition doesn't mean jack shit. Oregon doesn't have any tradition at all, according to everyone, and yet is consistently successful. Oregon has also sold its soul to Nike, and has been rewarded for doing so by the football gods. Keep your traditions. We'll keep the wins. 11 Straight. Fucking wiener dogs.
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,889
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

TheGlove said:

To Whom It May Concern:

I came away from the football game versus Arizona State more upset than after any game in the past eight years. Was I disappointed with the loss? Of course, but that’s not what made me angry. Instead, I’m upset about the “Our Tradition” campaign blaring across the video screens throughout the game. This latest attempt to elicit passion and boost fan support for the currently mediocre brand of Husky Football is misguided, and frankly, insulting.

The traditions displayed on the video board during these segments included images of a retired Captain Husky and UW Rose Bowl wins in the distant past. These “traditions,” as the department likes to bill them, don’t even exist in the current state of Husky Football, so the message behind them feels empty. However, the real issue relates to the bigger picture: You tout “our traditions,” but it’s been apparent that UW Athletics is more interested in selling traditions off one by one rather than maintaining them.

After several decades, the Husky Marching Band is suddenly no longer playing the national anthem. All because the current singer’s friends donated money for the new stadium sound system and demanded he get a solo gig. Yes, someone’s actually paying to specifically discontinue one of Husky Stadium’s longest-standing and proudest traditions.

The band also plays at maybe half of the rate they used to in the stands throughout the game, preempted by canned music, sponsorship opportunities, and now even movie trailers. More commercials equal more revenue for UW Athletics, but once again Our Tradition suffers.

The Zone consistently empties the stadium at halftime and well into the third quarter. Our once-vaunted home-field advantage has crumbled (something ESPN’s commentators alluded to during Saturday’s broadcast). Why is the Zone there? In part to reap the benefits of additional revenues earned from concessionaires.

Even a tradition as basic as the “Go! Huskies!” chant has dissolved because the student section was moved. Why were they moved? $$$$.

The tradition of wearing purple and gold uniforms by the football team has largely disappeared in today’s era of Oregon-style jersey transformations. Sure, the athletes love this, but it’s largely driven by your partnership with Nike. Again, every trail leads back to revenues and profits.

The fact is that Husky Football traditions are fading. Many of them are being sacrificed for financial gains and now the athletic department has proven that it is willing to literally sell them off (in the case of the national anthem). So stop insulting our intelligence by showing outdated imagery representing beloved traditions that you have little interest in maintaining!

To add insult to insult, the mercenary behind the mic completely ignored Saturday’s Moment of Silence for Marysville-Pilchuck High School, immediately launching into the national anthem. This disgraceful act, combined with his awkward rendition (which fans can’t even sing along to), makes your “investment” in him look worse and worse every week. But at least the new sound system is working well so we can hear more commercials with even better clarity.

I am not a doddering half-century season-ticket holder who fears change. But I am a lifelong Husky who has been through the extreme highs and the lows of our shared football history. I have represented UW Athletics on the field and Husky Nation in the stands for decades. I understand what Husky tradition means, as do tens of thousands of other dedicated fans, supporters and donors. Please: stop insulting us with meaningless propaganda and instead start showing us that you understand and care about preserving Husky Tradition.

Can you find ways to make your money without completely discarding the identity that made us proud of all of our athletes, coaches and administrators all these years? Can you make Our Tradition meaningful? Prove it.

agree with all that, but stopped reading at the band stuff. everybody hated band kids in high school and I presume they're just as annoying in college.

the band can go DIAFF. I'd support canned band music over the sound system. that would work.
    Most of the band geeks in high school were annoying and it's probably the same for college (I was usually too busy for the gaymes). Still it's a good tradition and >>> canned autotuned crap pop music
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,576
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Here's a thought for you: Your tradition doesn't mean jack shit. Oregon doesn't have any tradition at all, according to everyone, and yet is consistently successful. Oregon has also sold its soul to Nike, and has been rewarded for doing so by the football gods. Keep your traditions. We'll keep the wins. 11 Straight. Fucking wiener dogs.

I'll bite.

Oregon never had a soul, and if it did, all you got in return was a single Rose Bowl win.

Anyways, it isn't really about the tradition. It isn't really about the pageantry or the "experience" either. It's about winning in the end, and having a loud fucking stadium helps with that. "Our tradition" is having a winning program. Why do we want students on the 50? Is it so we can have "Go Huskies" as a tradition? No. It's because the students are the future season ticket holders and we want them to have the best experience at the games so that they will feel compelled to take the money earned in their future endeavors and invest it back in the program. The program being successful feeds into that, like a good version of a vicious cycle. Now, I know the students didn't feel that pull when our program sucked for the last decade or so. And I know that none of the fancy asian imports or Cali kids give a shit, because I was in the student section while Sark was here. But, if we had never let the program take a backseat to promoting the illusion of our academics being anything more than an above-average state school, the funding of the renovation would have taken care of itself. Instead, we let the agenda of upper-campus take hold and were forced to sell out in order to make a lame attempt at fooling the fan base into thinking we give a shit again. Luckily, we have an actual coach now, and winning can cure everything. But if Pete can't do it, I think we might be permanently fucked. Simply put, the Malcolm Gladwell politicians that have taken over UW do not give a shit about football or what it means to the school. In fact, they oppose it. It will be the same way at Oregon when Phil is gone, and the same way it is at most faggot Pac-12 schools.

I guess I'd just rather hear a good marching band and have a real college atmosphere, and hopefully a little abundance with a great coach that will stay and compete for national championships. I think that would help build a the fan base for the future, because winning is why we ever had one in the first place. You know, like my Crimson Tide.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The Chevron car races are super cute, though. I bet the kids love em.
  • Options
    PurpleJ said:

I'll bite.

Oregon never had a soul, and if it did, all you got in return was a single Rose Bowl win.

Anyways, it isn't really about the tradition. It isn't really about the pageantry or the "experience" either. It's about winning in the end, and having a loud fucking stadium helps with that. "Our tradition" is having a winning program. Why do we want students on the 50? Is it so we can have "Go Huskies" as a tradition? No. It's because the students are the future season ticket holders and we want them to have the best experience at the games so that they will feel compelled to take the money earned in their future endeavors and invest it back in the program. The program being successful feeds into that, like a good version of a vicious cycle. Now, I know the students didn't feel that pull when our program sucked for the last decade or so. And I know that none of the fancy asian imports or Cali kids give a shit, because I was in the student section while Sark was here. But, if we had never let the program take a backseat to promoting the illusion of our academics being anything more than an above-average state school, the funding of the renovation would have taken care of itself. Instead, we let the agenda of upper-campus take hold and were forced to sell out in order to make a lame attempt at fooling the fan base into thinking we give a shit again. Luckily, we have an actual coach now, and winning can cure everything. But if Pete can't do it, I think we might be permanently fucked. Simply put, the Malcolm Gladwell politicians that have taken over UW do not give a shit about football or what it means to the school. In fact, they oppose it. It will be the same way at Oregon when Phil is gone, and the same way it is at most faggot Pac-12 schools.

I guess I'd just rather hear a good marching band and have a real college atmosphere, and hopefully a little abundance with a great coach that will stay and compete for national championships. I think that would help build a the fan base for the future, because winning is why we ever had one in the first place. You know, like my Crimson Tide.
  • Options
    uziuzi Member Posts: 1,298
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Cool letter -- saw it in the Seattle Times as well.

But now I'm more confused than normal. I that you were an OSU fan? Maybe I'm drunk.
  • Options
    BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,341
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    uzi said:

Cool letter -- saw it in the Seattle Times as well.

But now I'm more confused than normal. I that you were an OSU fan? Maybe I'm drunk.

I bleed purple! My father was prof at UW for years.
  • Options
    BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,341
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

Max Waugh is 40? I thought he was like 60 or 70.

Unless by "probabtion years" he means he was a student in the 50s.

Your probably thinking of one of my dads.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

PurpleJ said:

I'll bite.

Speak fluent Finnish and then pop off!
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,643
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    This letter has made it's way to a board on the fishing website that I frequent.
  • Options
    pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,845
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    chuck said:

This letter has made it's way to a hobby board on the fishing website that I frequent I run.

• Options
    CanardCanard Member Posts: 504
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    PurpleJ said:

I'll bite.

Disagree.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Canard said:

PurpleJ said:

I'll bite.

Disagree.
    He's no Chip Kelly. That's for sure.
  • Options
    Canard said:

PurpleJ said:

I'll bite.

Disagree.
    LEAVE. Dumbfuck.
  • Options
    CheersWestDawgCheersWestDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,475
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    Swaye's Wigwam
    PurpleJ said:

Weirdest threesome ever.

Think he ever walked in on his two moms scissoring?