Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Letter I'm sending today to the UW AD. Please read.

To Whom It May Concern:

I came away from the football game versus Arizona State more upset than after any game in the past eight years. Was I disappointed with the loss? Of course, but that’s not what made me angry. Instead, I’m upset about the “Our Tradition” campaign blaring across the video screens throughout the game. This latest attempt to elicit passion and boost fan support for the currently mediocre brand of Husky Football is misguided, and frankly, insulting.

The traditions displayed on the video board during these segments included images of a retired Captain Husky and UW Rose Bowl wins in the distant past. These “traditions,” as the department likes to bill them, don’t even exist in the current state of Husky Football, so the message behind them feels empty. However, the real issue relates to the bigger picture: You tout “our traditions,” but it’s been apparent that UW Athletics is more interested in selling traditions off one by one rather than maintaining them.

After several decades, the Husky Marching Band is suddenly no longer playing the national anthem. All because the current singer’s friends donated money for the new stadium sound system and demanded he get a solo gig. Yes, someone’s actually paying to specifically discontinue one of Husky Stadium’s longest-standing and proudest traditions.

The band also plays at maybe half of the rate they used to in the stands throughout the game, preempted by canned music, sponsorship opportunities, and now even movie trailers. More commercials equal more revenue for UW Athletics, but once again Our Tradition suffers.

The Zone consistently empties the stadium at halftime and well into the third quarter. Our once-vaunted home-field advantage has crumbled (something ESPN’s commentators alluded to during Saturday’s broadcast). Why is the Zone there? In part to reap the benefits of additional revenues earned from concessionaires.

Even a tradition as basic as the “Go! Huskies!” chant has dissolved because the student section was moved. Why were they moved? $$$$.

The tradition of wearing purple and gold uniforms by the football team has largely disappeared in today’s era of Oregon-style jersey transformations. Sure, the athletes love this, but it’s largely driven by your partnership with Nike. Again, every trail leads back to revenues and profits.

The fact is that Husky Football traditions are fading. Many of them are being sacrificed for financial gains and now the athletic department has proven that it is willing to literally sell them off (in the case of the national anthem). So stop insulting our intelligence by showing outdated imagery representing beloved traditions that you have little interest in maintaining!

To add insult to insult, the mercenary behind the mic completely ignored Saturday’s Moment of Silence for Marysville-Pilchuck High School, immediately launching into the national anthem. This disgraceful act, combined with his awkward rendition (which fans can’t even sing along to), makes your “investment” in him look worse and worse every week. But at least the new sound system is working well so we can hear more commercials with even better clarity.

I am not a doddering half-century season-ticket holder who fears change. But I am a lifelong Husky who has been through the extreme highs and the lows of our shared football history. I have represented UW Athletics on the field and Husky Nation in the stands for decades. I understand what Husky tradition means, as do tens of thousands of other dedicated fans, supporters and donors. Please: stop insulting us with meaningless propaganda and instead start showing us that you understand and care about preserving Husky Tradition.

Can you find ways to make your money without completely discarding the identity that made us proud of all of our athletes, coaches and administrators all these years? Can you make Our Tradition meaningful? Prove it.

Comments

• Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
  • Options
    BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,346
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    I had 400 co-signers to this letter. Huskie fans united, not divided.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,816
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Funny thing is that I remember in the days before the Zone everybody wanted an option for where they could drink "sodas" at halftime ... now they are bitching because it's taking away from the experience.

Just goes to show that you can't make everybody happy.

FYFMFE
  • Options
    skookumskookum Member Posts: 447
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    TLDR....

actually I have to agree. Spot on
  • Options
    MisterEmMisterEm Member Posts: 6,685
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Thank you for outlining why we only attend away games.

A bit sad actually... but nonetheless true.
  • Options
    VegasdawgVegasdawg Member Posts: 370
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    It's all about revenue.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    TheGlove said:

To Whom It May Concern:

I came away from the football game versus Arizona State more upset than after any game in the past eight years. Was I disappointed with the loss? Of course, but that’s not what made me angry. Instead, I’m upset about the “Our Tradition” campaign blaring across the video screens throughout the game. This latest attempt to elicit passion and boost fan support for the currently mediocre brand of Husky Football is misguided, and frankly, insulting.

The traditions displayed on the video board during these segments included images of a retired Captain Husky and UW Rose Bowl wins in the distant past. These “traditions,” as the department likes to bill them, don’t even exist in the current state of Husky Football, so the message behind them feels empty. However, the real issue relates to the bigger picture: You tout “our traditions,” but it’s been apparent that UW Athletics is more interested in selling traditions off one by one rather than maintaining them.

After several decades, the Husky Marching Band is suddenly no longer playing the national anthem. All because the current singer’s friends donated money for the new stadium sound system and demanded he get a solo gig. Yes, someone’s actually paying to specifically discontinue one of Husky Stadium’s longest-standing and proudest traditions.

The band also plays at maybe half of the rate they used to in the stands throughout the game, preempted by canned music, sponsorship opportunities, and now even movie trailers. More commercials equal more revenue for UW Athletics, but once again Our Tradition suffers.

The Zone consistently empties the stadium at halftime and well into the third quarter. Our once-vaunted home-field advantage has crumbled (something ESPN’s commentators alluded to during Saturday’s broadcast). Why is the Zone there? In part to reap the benefits of additional revenues earned from concessionaires.

Even a tradition as basic as the “Go! Huskies!” chant has dissolved because the student section was moved. Why were they moved? $$$$.

The tradition of wearing purple and gold uniforms by the football team has largely disappeared in today’s era of Oregon-style jersey transformations. Sure, the athletes love this, but it’s largely driven by your partnership with Nike. Again, every trail leads back to revenues and profits.

The fact is that Husky Football traditions are fading. Many of them are being sacrificed for financial gains and now the athletic department has proven that it is willing to literally sell them off (in the case of the national anthem). So stop insulting our intelligence by showing outdated imagery representing beloved traditions that you have little interest in maintaining!

To add insult to insult, the mercenary behind the mic completely ignored Saturday’s Moment of Silence for Marysville-Pilchuck High School, immediately launching into the national anthem. This disgraceful act, combined with his awkward rendition (which fans can’t even sing along to), makes your “investment” in him look worse and worse every week. But at least the new sound system is working well so we can hear more commercials with even better clarity.

I am not a doddering half-century season-ticket holder who fears change. But I am a lifelong Husky who has been through the extreme highs and the lows of our shared football history. I have represented UW Athletics on the field and Husky Nation in the stands for decades. I understand what Husky tradition means, as do tens of thousands of other dedicated fans, supporters and donors. Please: stop insulting us with meaningless propaganda and instead start showing us that you understand and care about preserving Husky Tradition.

Can you find ways to make your money without completely discarding the identity that made us proud of all of our athletes, coaches and administrators all these years? Can you make Our Tradition meaningful? Prove it.

agree with all that, but stopped reading at the band stuff. everybody hated band kids in high school and I presume they're just as annoying in college.

the band can go DIAFF. I'd support canned band music over the sound system. that would work.
  • Options
    H_DH_D Member Posts: 6,098

Bring back the track!

They should play "jump around" at the end of the 3rd quarter and see if that helps.

I'd be satisfied with Louie, Louie. Does the band now even know how to play that one?
  • Options
    MelloDawgMelloDawg Member Posts: 6,197
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

TheGlove said:

To Whom It May Concern:

agree with all that, but stopped reading at the band stuff. everybody hated band kids in high school and I presume they're just as annoying in college.

the band can go DIAFF. I'd support canned band music over the sound system. that would work.
    Disagree
  • Options
    H_DH_D Member Posts: 6,098
    I'm totally onboard with everything in this letter....

As long as they don't get rid of the chubby white and asian girls taking concession selfies. Those self-deprecating, fat sorority girls epitomize everything that is great about college...bangin' sloots after a night of heavy drinking and buying them fast food.
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

It reminds my that the crisp fall days with my 2 moms will never be replicated. Those days are over and much of what I loved about college football are gone. Even the crisp fall days are gone. So far we've had 4 blazing hot games and one windy rainy piece of shit. I even hate the "playoff". The big 10/Pac-10/8 Rose bowl was seriously special. So much of what made me gravitate to college football vs the NFL has been eroded to the point my enthusiasm for it is at an all time low. If UW were a decent program I'd have a bit more fun, but it's so much more than that. I'm not even really talking about UW,just the NCAA game in general. And if I have to explain it to you, you wouldn't understand.

I could do without the playoffs, and I didn't like the BCS. Sure, polls deciding championships is weird, but it was a good weird and stoked the fires for the next season.
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Max Waugh of Doogman wrote that letter.

Incredibly ironic given Doogman's repeated support of the Marinerization of Husky Football.
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,637
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited October 2014

Why don't people just figure out how to bring their booze into the stadium like true fans.. It isn't a difficult thing.

Camel Bak or just bring a black garbage bag poncho in. You can hide anything under that.
  • Options
    RapeculturedawgRapeculturedawg Member Posts: 899
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    PurpleJ said:

Why don't people just figure out how to bring their booze into the stadium like true fans.. It isn't a difficult thing.

Camel Bak or just bring a black garbage bag poncho in. You can hide anything under that.
    bring an extra sweatshirt, wrap bottle in sweatshirt, carry in..
    Works every time
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,753
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Airplane bottles and soda are the way to enjoy Any sporting event.

That and a lot of popcorn
  • Options
    RavennaDawgRavennaDawg Member Posts: 846
    Name Dropper Photogenic 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Max Waugh is 40? I thought he was like 60 or 70.

Unless by "probabtion years" he means he was a student in the 50s.