Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Sunday Article: Jonathan Smith is Becoming the Fall Guy, and that's not Right

Comments

• Options
    SpoonieLuvSpoonieLuv Member Posts: 5,437
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    When you get rid of an offensive weapon like Percy Harvin you can't be surprised when the offense takes a step backwards.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,214
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Gladstone said:

Respectfully disagree. Petersen is a proven, BCS-winning coach. Jonathan Smith is not even remotely close to that. UW is not the place for on-the-job OC training. I can swallow some Petersen criticism because of 92-12, but Smith...

Smith didn't win a lottery to become the OC. He was selected Petersen.
  • Options
    jecorneljecornel Member Posts: 9,611
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    I for one, am not a supporter of j smith. Nor does he provide anything remotely interesting as an interview... he sounds like he hates what he is doing...maybe its the oline and Qb he has to deal with everyday?

One thing you wonder with this team is who loves playing the game...one guy I know for a dact does is Cooper.
  • Options
    FenwickFenwick Member Posts: 1,174
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment 5 Awesomes
    You tried two Ducks as D coaches and now you have a popular Beaver for an O coach.
  • Options
    UWerentThereManUWerentThereMan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,475
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    edited October 2014
    "I sense readers out there muttering to themselves, "what the hell are you talking about Derek? You're comparing us to the team coming off the 0-12 season of 2008? "

Maybe you're speaking about outsiders but on The boards this has been consistently refuted and even mocked. Owen 12 team didn't have Owen 12 talent.

Blaming Jonathan Smith is kind of mute imo, if Petermen thinks something needs to be done differently he'll fucking say so; he's 'the ultimate CEO'.

But on the overall I'm with you Derek, two of the main points we've stuck to is that Petersen is a great coach, and great coaching makes a huge difference. Didn't fucking look like it last night though.

FYFMFE
  • Options
    uziuzi Member Posts: 1,298
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    If the offensive coordinator isn't to blame for our shitty offense, then who is?
  • Options
    jecorneljecornel Member Posts: 9,611
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    I agree road dawg....also the offense has identity... we don't do anything particularly well.
  • Options
    AEBAEB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,960
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    This roster is so flawed. You can't pin it on Smith. Going in, I was worried about QB, DBs, and WR...hence tempered expectations. At the mid-point, I'm worried about QB, RBs, and WR. By the roster being flawed, I mean there's always a huge hole somewhere. We never have a good D and a good O...it's always one or other...never abundance. For example, last years skill position players with this year's D. Never happens. Until the roster is built balanced, we can't beat the national programs. The only progress we can see is if we're 8-0 in games we "should" win this year... If we go 2-3 against the top 5 teams in the Pac-12' that'd be great. Currently, we're 0-2 with ASU coming in.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited October 2014
    Start using Ross like DAT. Injuries are mounting at RB and we can't run the ball very well anyways. 2 carries for 44 yards, long of 32 yesterday. Give him 10 carries and see what he does with them. He's the playmaker on offense and limiting him to WR doesn't seem like the best use of him. He's a natural with the ball in his hands. Not only is he fast, his jukes are sick.
  • Options
    HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,526
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    Part of it is play calling but part of it is that Miles isn't particularly good at any one thing. He doesn't have a good arm, he's pretty big doesn't have the physicality to match, his accuracy is subpar beyond 10 yards, despite being a good athlete he is slow to accelerate, and he doesn't have good speed. His biggest strength was supposed to be that he took care of the ball but his INT was horribly thrown and couldn't have come at a worse time in the game. Then, in the second half, he tries to get away from a pass-rusher (what worked for him in high school doesn't work in big-time CFB) but he ends up with fumbling the ball without being touched. Who cares if he completed 67.8% of his passes if he turned the ball over twice and only averaged 5.3 yards per attempt?

Our RBs are pretty pedestrian and we don't have an effective bigger WR with KW not what he was last year before his injury.

Not having Riva hurts and IMHO, Charles isn't playing as well up at 315 lbs rather than 300-305 lbs that he was last year.

I fully understand that the back-up QB is usually the most popular player on many teams but Williams simply LOOKS like a QB to me and may have the "it" factor. To my eyes, Miles does not look like a natural QB and he doesn't appear to have that "it" factor. Miles probably has the highest floor of the QBs on the roster right now but Troy Williams likely has the highest ceiling.

But no matter who the QB is vs. ASU, they will still need more help from their OL to give them more time, the RBs to average more YPC, and a 3rd WR to emerge beyond Mickens and Ross. Is it time to give Pettis and Lenius more PT (Pettis had 3 catches yesterday and Lenius had 2)???
  • Options
    TTJTTJ Member Posts: 4,795
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Blaming coordinators is dm.cFS.

Pete will manage his staff. He always has.
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Gladstone said:

Respectfully disagree. Petersen is a proven, BCS-winning coach. Jonathan Smith is not even remotely close to that. UW is not the place for on-the-job OC training. I can swallow some Petersen criticism because of 92-12, but Smith...

Peterman hired him.
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,751
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

"I sense readers out there muttering to themselves, "what the hell are you talking about Derek? You're comparing us to the team coming off the 0-12 season of 2008? "

Maybe you're speaking about outsiders but on The boards this has been consistently refuted and even mocked. Owen 12 team didn't have Owen 12 talent.

Blaming Jonathan Smith is kind of mute imo, if Petermen thinks something needs to be done differently he'll fucking say so; he's 'the ultimate CEO'.

But on the overall I'm with you Derek, two of the main points we've stuck to is that Petersen is a great coach, and great coaching makes a huge difference. Didn't fucking look like it last night though.

FYFMFE

I'm not sure that Petersen is a great coach. He was at the MWC level but He had several advantages. The program was already built and he had the luxury of getting academic nightmares that wouldn't qualify at Pac 12 schools. Now, he can't recruit that kid and has to go up against what is now the murderer's row of coaches and recruiters.

Peterman is a very good coach who has a 1st year starting QB. Most teams fall off with a 1st year starting QB. Dub also lost a great RB and none of the receivers are consistent.

The folks that thought Peterman could just step in and continue 92-12 are aubsFS. He will do a good job at UW but in this league you have to have a QB and weapons on O.

OT I was at the 2000 UW OSU game in Husky stadium. One of the best if not best live games I've ever seen. I'll never forget Jonathan's one shoed semi hail Mary towards the end of the game. Paul Arnolds one handed snag was pretty impressive too.

Anyway Fyfmfe
  • Options
    HoustonHuskyHoustonHusky Member Posts: 5,954
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic 5 Awesomes
    Lot of bipolar around here...surprised people are shocked by the game. We've looked horrible on offense all year (5 games in a LB led the team in TDs...think about that) and our defense has been bipolar (we gave up 52 points to Eastern...did anyone really think we were going to hold Oregon to under 30?). We have 4 first day draft picks on D, but we have 3 freshman in the secondary and missed assignments up front. And the offense has been in shambles from day 1. With this the idea of 6 games into a new coach/system we'd be able to hold up against what should be a Heisman QB and top-5 program on the road is asking a bit much.

That said, next year when Marriota's gone, we are at home, and we are in Peterman Year 2 we better look a hell of a lot better than we did yesterday. Like or not the Peterman hire (I admit I had some reservations), he seems to have set a good direction for the program. But its not the same methodology/direction as the previous staff, and that takes time.

As for the staff, I don't have a problem with the Smith criticism...he's one of the assistant coach hires that was a head-scratcher. Our offense as a whole looks awful. Our QBs look awful, and if the QB that started as the 3rd stringer at the beginning of the year ends up as the best of the bunch that's as big of an indictment as any against him. Our offensive game plans have looked bad in most games...as much forcing a system on players instead of adapting the system to the players. As an example, saying Miley Cyrus is a great runner and then never running him is stupid, esp since he gives up any passing game beyond 15 yards with his arm. Put it into your gameplan or start somebody different. Smith is a guy that's been given a huge promotion beyond what his resume says he should be at...he's the one that's got to (over)deliver or be moved out.

• Options
    unfrozencavemanunfrozencaveman Member Posts: 2,303
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    edited October 2014
    I thought DJ (little DJ) was being a retard with an 8 win forecast earlier this season. Sounds pretty reasonable at this point however. Whatever the case may be, I support CP and staff 100%