Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Rick Neuheisel on Pac-12 network re: UW training camp preview

volcanodawgvolcanodawg Member Posts: 282
Combo Breaker First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
edited August 2013 in Hardcore Husky Board
So i was watching the Pac-12 networks preview on UW last night and Rick Neuheisel and some other guy were interviewing coaches and previewing the team, etc....a few things stood out from the footage:

1. Neuheisel referenced that passionate fans were calling Sark "7 win Steve", that he has peaked, and insinuating that his seat was getting hotter. I understand this is like declaring water is wet, but what I found interesting is that Rick actually used a HHB term to describe Sark. Newsworthy people are watching this site more than ever....as it is being looked at as the voice of the real fan, which it is. March on folks....the idiots on DM.c are struggling to keep up with our popularity and the tide is turning. I could sense that Neuheisel did some serious research on the pulse of the fan, especially understanding his history with the program and his awareness of what it takes to succeed here....and hardcorehusky sure sounded like it helped shape the tone around the entire show.

2. The fucking stadium is cool, really fucking cool. I don't care about any other fucking noise out there, bottom line is that it's cool and I am excited as hell to see it firsthand on Aug 31. the proximity of the fans to the field is truly shocking and if we ever field a good team, the place could really be the most difficult place to play in college football. i'll arrive early (no chanting go huskies at 6am tho) and take it all in.....i can't help but be captivated by the drastic changes. in all fairness, well done Scott Woodward (the last fucking time i ever write that).

3. I know we are the annual off season national champions (5 yrs straight, bitches), but it does seem like the stigma of 7-6 is really starting to resonate with this team and their identity. Neuheisel went as far to say that losing vs WSU and BSU may be blessings in disguise as it laser focused the team on what it actually takes to be great. He suggested that had they finished 9-4, a "we've made it" type of attitude could have installed some complacency within the program. Now this could be window dressing, and never would i say losing two games to inferior opponents is a good thing, but his concept probably holds some merit to some degree. these players seem sick of it and are seemingly ready to take the next step. i'd rather have 9-4 than 7-6....but if THAT is what is takes to propel this fucking culture to the next level then so be it. Not ideal that a coach can't manufacture that desire to be great, but it's the end result that matters and like i said, it sure seems that 7-6 is unacceptable any longer from both players and coaches. now fucking prove it.

4. Sark said that in year 5, he expects his team to compete for the Pac 12 north title and have a legitimate chance to play for the Rose Bowl....so if that statement reflects his true sincere feelings,then his expectations are in line with HHB as that's all we want every year. this is the cultural benchmark the program needs to return to....Washington being Washington and acting like Washington on the field. now fucking go prove it.

I am not going to go all doog here, but i can't help the fact that i see possible reasons for a breakout season on the horizon. will it happen, i dont know. speaking in pure generalizations, from a defensive standpoint we have a very talented LB corps, as well as a pretty interesting blend of talent in the secondary. the DL has pieces that could gel and materialize into something at least serviceable and sometimes disruptive. not saying it's bama's defense, but the added maturity of Shaq, Feeney, Timu, Shelton, Parker, Peters, Ducre provides a solid base of talent to gel around. offensively, we have pretty much what you like to see going into a season on paper....experienced OL (yes, they are not ideal and have their flaws but experience will pay dividends at some point), a veteran QB with something to prove, an ultra talented, patient and explosive RB (with depth at this position too), 2-3 solid pass catching options (Kasen +ASJ + one of campbell, ross, stringfellow). everyone is saying Ross is the real deal...everyone cant be fucking that far off.

for as conflicted as i am with sark....i see 10 wins as a real possibility this year, despite all of boy wonder's inherent flaws. the schedule is cake compared to year's past. Sark is far from a proven commodity, but i am cautiously optimistic this team could really pop, especially if this offensive tempo proves to be fruitful and not a clusterfuck of a decision. i am less worried about the defense as i truly feel we have some players on that side of the ball who are high ceiling guys who can be about as good as they want to be collectively, add that to the leadership of Wilcox and Sirmon and i see light at the end of that tunnel more so than the offense.

fuuuuuck it's that time of year and it's exciting to have some restored optimism for a fucking change. i still don't know who we are in terms of a culture or an identity on the field, two huge questions that need answered early in the season, and much is left to be desired from the program as a whole....but something is telling me that UW is poised to be a little different this year and we'll see actual tangible improvements and actual progression from the stagnant 7-6 era.

Go Dawgs.

Comments

• Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I think 7 win Steve was mentioned in the main stream press a while ago. I'm not sure it was coined here. Hi doubt Neuheisal is reading this board.

But just in case...Hi Rick!!!!
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 102,578
    Swaye's Wigwam
    When he calls him Rick without a Rose Bowl we'll know
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam
    "It's the year 2008, 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013, it's about time we get back to that level of expectations, it's about time for us to get back to the Rose Bowl, it's about time for us to get back competing for conference championships, it's about time for us to get back competing for national championships, and that's what our goal is, no question," he said.
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary

So i was watching the Pac-12 networks preview on UW last night and Rick Neuheisel and some other guy were interviewing coaches and previewing the team, etc....a few things stood out from the footage:

1. Neuheisel referenced that passionate fans were calling Sark "7 win Steve", that he has peaked, and insinuating that his seat was getting hotter. I understand this is like declaring water is wet, but what I found interesting is that Rick actually used a HHB term to describe Sark. Newsworthy people are watching this site more than ever....as it is being looked at as the voice of the real fan, which it is. March on folks....the idiots on DM.c are struggling to keep up with our popularity and the tide is turning. I could sense that Neuheisel did some serious research on the pulse of the fan, especially understanding his history with the program and his awareness of what it takes to succeed here....and hardcorehusky sure sounded like it helped shape the tone around the entire show.

2. The fucking stadium is cool, really fucking cool. I don't care about any other fucking noise out there, bottom line is that it's cool and I am excited as hell to see it firsthand on Aug 31. the proximity of the fans to the field is truly shocking and if we ever field a good team, the place could really be the most difficult place to play in college football. i'll arrive early (no chanting go huskies at 6am tho) and take it all in.....i can't help but be captivated by the drastic changes. in all fairness, well done Scott Woodward (the last fucking time i ever write that).

3. I know we are the annual off season national champions (5 yrs straight, bitches), but it does seem like the stigma of 7-6 is really starting to resonate with this team and their identity. Neuheisel went as far to say that losing vs WSU and BSU may be blessings in disguise as it laser focused the team on what it actually takes to be great. He suggested that had they finished 9-4, a "we've made it" type of attitude could have installed some complacency within the program. Now this could be window dressing, and never would i say losing two games to inferior opponents is a good thing, but his concept probably holds some merit to some degree. these players seem sick of it and are seemingly ready to take the next step. i'd rather have 9-4 than 7-6....but if THAT is what is takes to propel this fucking culture to the next level then so be it. Not ideal that a coach can't manufacture that desire to be great, but it's the end result that matters and like i said, it sure seems that 7-6 is unacceptable any longer from both players and coaches. now fucking prove it.

4. Sark said that in year 5, he expects his team to compete for the Pac 12 north title and have a legitimate chance to play for the Rose Bowl....so if that statement reflects his true sincere feelings,then his expectations are in line with HHB as that's all we want every year. this is the cultural benchmark the program needs to return to....Washington being Washington and acting like Washington on the field. now fucking go prove it.

I am not going to go all doog here, but i can't help the fact that i see possible reasons for a breakout season on the horizon. will it happen, i dont know. speaking in pure generalizations, from a defensive standpoint we have a very talented LB corps, as well as a pretty interesting blend of talent in the secondary. the DL has pieces that could gel and materialize into something at least serviceable and sometimes disruptive. not saying it's bama's defense, but the added maturity of Shaq, Feeney, Timu, Shelton, Parker, Peters, Ducre provides a solid base of talent to gel around. offensively, we have pretty much what you like to see going into a season on paper....experienced OL (yes, they are not ideal and have their flaws but experience will pay dividends at some point), a veteran QB with something to prove, an ultra talented, patient and explosive RB (with depth at this position too), 2-3 solid pass catching options (Kasen +ASJ + one of campbell, ross, stringfellow). everyone is saying Ross is the real deal...everyone cant be fucking that far off.

for as conflicted as i am with sark....i see 10 wins as a real possibility this year, despite all of boy wonder's inherent flaws. the schedule is cake compared to year's past. Sark is far from a proven commodity, but i am cautiously optimistic this team could really pop, especially if this offensive tempo proves to be fruitful and not a clusterfuck of a decision. i am less worried about the defense as i truly feel we have some players on that side of the ball who are high ceiling guys who can be about as good as they want to be collectively, add that to the leadership of Wilcox and Sirmon and i see light at the end of that tunnel more so than the offense.

fuuuuuck it's that time of year and it's exciting to have some restored optimism for a fucking change. i still don't know who we are in terms of a culture or an identity on the field, two huge questions that need answered early in the season, and much is left to be desired from the program as a whole....but something is telling me that UW is poised to be a little different this year and we'll see actual tangible improvements and actual progression from the stagnant 7-6 era.

Go Dawgs.

Disagree.
  • Options
    volcanodawgvolcanodawg Member Posts: 282
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    certainly understand the hesitation to start believing....but that's fine. I am not sold on Sark, nor do i think he is the long term preferred guy....but i think there are factual reasons for optimism on this team that are hard to overlook.
  • Options
    HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    edited August 2013
    I do agree on the 7-6 vs. 9-4. If you go 9-4 last year you are ranked in the top 25 and maybe pickup another 4* recruit or two. However, we'd still be outside of the top 30 as far as advanced metrics, still have the blowouts and still be in the bottom half of the conference in most statistics. And it basically would have given Sark a free pass this year. And with the talent skewed towards 2013 and 2014, his job would probably be safe into 2015. The perception would be that he has done fantastic going 5-7-7-9 and that UW would win 10-11 this year. Instead, blowing the last two games has put far more pressure on him, the staff and the team to produce.

This is the first time in 10 years we now reasonably expect to win 9+ games. The only thing that will derail the high expectations is 8-5 and Sark coming back next season. Sure he could win 9 this year and 10 next year. That doesn't mean he's figured out how to be an OC. Wilcox & Co saved his job. We could go 9-4 this year and 11-3 next year (2nd in North), then lose Wilcox & the entire D staff then see Sark with top 20 talent go 8-5 and 7-6 and we are back where we are now 4 years later. The guy is not the long-term answer and I'd add that our offensive staff is really weak.

As for this season, I'm not sure our OL/DL will be good enough on the road to get over the hump. I think Stanford is winnable. They are going to really lack playmakers at the skill spots. I think UCLA and OSU are winnable games and will serve as an up or down vote on the season since they come at the end. If we can manage to upset Stanford or ASU then we should be 7-2 going into UCLA and OSU. Win the games we should and avoid the 3 game slide and it will be a 9 win season with a reasonable chance at 10.
  • Options
    IrishDawg22IrishDawg22 Member Posts: 2,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

certainly understand the hesitation to start believing....but that's fine. I am not sold on Sark, nor do i think he is the long term preferred guy....but i think there are factual reasons for optimism on this team that are hard to overlook.

Great posts.

Sums up exactly how I feel.

I really agree it is nice to see the type of athletes we have on D. Lots of length and speed. Now if they can finally slow down the freakin' spread.
  • Options
    RancidRancid Member Posts: 75
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    "the proximity of the fans to the field is truly shocking"

Welcome to college football.
  • Options
    The season is over. We don't beat Stanford, Oregon, UCLA, or OSU. Probably not ASU either.
  • Options
    IMALOSER_IMALOSER_ Member Posts: 158
    5 Up Votes First Comment Photogenic

The season is over. We don't beat Stanford, Oregon, UCLA, or OSU. Probably not ASU either.

You booking that bet?

• Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The thought that a 9-4 season would make us complacent and cocky shows all that is wrong with the program. We would have been about the worst 9-4 team I had ever seen. 3 of those 4 losses were plunger rapes, and we played some terrible football against Cal, Colorado, WSU, and BSU. The 7-6 record isn't the reason I am pessimistic about the future, it's the quality of football we have played. Getting plunger raped and playing soft, sloppy, undisciplined football is no recipe for future success.
  • Options
    IMALOSER_ said:

You booking that bet?

You new here? We only bet The Field.

And yes, the season is over. Even 9-4 would be a giant meh with this schedule.
  • Options

IMALOSER_ said:

You booking that bet?

Sounds like someone is worried Seven win Steve might actually get 9 wins. Using the schedule excuse already. Throw in a couple of wins over teams without their QB and Boom......9 wins is a step back. I like your being proactive.
  • Options
    IMALOSER_ said:

IMALOSER_ said:

You booking that bet?

Sounds like someone is worried Seven win Steve might actually get 9 wins. Using the schedule excuse already. Throw in a couple of wins over teams without their QB and Boom......9 wins is a step back. I like your being proactive.
    Ask Sark himself. He should have been 9-4 last year. Plenty of mediocre teams go 9-4. See Oregon State and Vanderbilt from last year for details.

For the record, I expect Sark to go 8-5 and get extended.

It's great to see you're here to defend him as always even though you're not defending him.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,453
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment blah
    IMALOSER_ said:

IMALOSER_ said:

You booking that bet?

But he doesn't defend Sark guys!

Also Sark said we won 9 games last year so improvement should be 10 wins.
  • Options
    Rancid said:

"the proximity of the fans to the field is truly shocking"

Welcome to college football.

Great flame as always:

• Options

IMALOSER_ said:

IMALOSER_ said:

You booking that bet?

But he doesn't defend Sark guys!

Also Sark said we won 9 games last year so improvement should be 10 wins.
    Yeah, sure sounds like someone defending Sark.
  • Options
    IrishDawg22IrishDawg22 Member Posts: 2,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

IMALOSER_ said:

You booking that bet?

But Mora gets an early pass because of his schedule....LMAO

UW = 5 ranked teams

UCLA = 4 ranked teams

*UCLA has a tougher road schedule

But overall the schedules are comparable.

I will take 9 wins (as long as the bowl win is over a ranked team) as my minimum. If it is a GIANT MEH to you, then I assume you will say the same for Mora, and anything less would be a fucking disaster in LA.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 102,578
    Swaye's Wigwam
    What does Mora have to do with Sark?
  • Options
    edited August 2013

IMALOSER_ said:

You booking that bet?

But Mora gets an early pass because of his schedule....LMAO

UW = 5 ranked teams

UCLA = 4 ranked teams

*UCLA has a tougher road schedule

But overall the schedules are comparable.

I will take 9 wins (as long as the bowl win is over a ranked team) as my minimum. If it is a GIANT MEH to you, then I assume you will say the same for Mora, and anything less would be a fucking disaster in LA.
    1. Preseason rankings are bullshit.
    2. 9 wins again for Mora would be a Meh, because he's done it before. Mora isn't getting a pass. 9-5 and beating his biggest rival >> anything Sark has done to date.