Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

The many myths of Mark Emmert

CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,835
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
Founders Club
edited August 2013 in Hardcore Husky Board
If you listened to the podcast, you heard Race and iDawg talk about the myths of Mark Emmert. One myth in particular is the myth that Emmert did not hire Todd Turner, that Turner was already on board by time Emmert started.

Here's the proof that particular Doog myth is bullshit, courtesty of your Seattle Times:

community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=20040619&slug=uwad19

If Turner is named today, it will be the first major decision of Emmert's UW career.

He hasn't officially started at Washington — he didn't complete his job as chancellor at LSU until this week and is expected to take a vacation before beginning at UW next month.

But Emmert let it be known early that he would make the final call on the AD job, part of what is expected to be a strong hand in all decisions involving Washington athletics.

Need more proof?

community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=20040620&slug=les20

The moment Mark Emmert walked through the door and said he would be president, the old Husky world shook. It hasn't seen a man like this at the top of the campus, someone who will overlook the sports empire and make decisions with a clap of the hand.

Emmert has inherited an oil slick, one that has taken months to contain. And now with the whole mess tugged ashore and thrown before the NCAA for inspection, the first thing he has done is hire the man who would make sure it could never happen again.

If that's not enough for you, try this:

community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=20040620&slug=uwad20

But Emmert, who won't officially start at UW until next month, said the contract is fitting of what he called "clearly one of the best athletic-director jobs in the country."

Turner agreed with that assessment, despite the troubles of the past year. He said the recent run-ins with the NCAA "were not a factor for me (in pursuing the job).

"There have been some things that have happened. But I'm convinced this is not an environment that is broken horribly. It just needs a little focus."

Emmert, who made the final call, said Turner's blend of experience — he has now been employed as an AD in four of the six BCS conferences — and reputation for following the rules is what UW needs.

"He is a seasoned pro with all of the values we wanted to see here at the University of Washington," Emmert said.

Emmert said Turner was his top choice for the job, disputing reports that Utah's Chris Hill had been offered the position first before rejecting it.

Comments

• Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,155
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Other than that though
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I don't think anyone other than Kim and a select few doogman posters think Emmert was a good president.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,155
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • Options
    CheersWestDawgCheersWestDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,475
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Kim hates facts.
  • Options
    TheKobeStopperTheKobeStopper Member Posts: 5,959
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment First Anniversary
    Kim's a good guy
  • Options
    HillsboroDuckHillsboroDuck Member Posts: 9,186
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker

I don't think anyone other than Kim and a select few doogman posters think Emmert was a good president.

But does Kim really believe it, or is he just willing to shove it down his clients throats just to cozy up to Pool Boy?

That's the $10.95 question.

• Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Mark Emmert is the best friend Duck football has ever had.
  • Options
    Mad_SonMad_Son Member Posts: 10,086
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    I think Emmert was a pretty good president, if you disregard football. I don't think disregarding football is valid, but he wasn't completely worthless in my opinion. I would rate him above Gerberding anyways...
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Mad_Son said:

I think Emmert was a pretty good president, if you disregard football. I don't think disregarding football is valid, but he wasn't completely worthless in my opinion. I would rate him above Gerberding anyways...

Other than that, how was the play Mrs. Lincoln?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,453
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment blah
    Mad_Son said:

Gerberding was terrible, so was Hedges.

I would take both in a New York minute over Emmert and Pool Boy/Todd Turner.
  • Options
    CheersWestDawgCheersWestDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,475
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    Swaye's Wigwam

Mad_Son said:

Gerberding didn't know that he didn't matter for over a decade. He was ignorant to the fact that Don James was more powerful than he was. Only after winning the national championship in '91 did Gerberding realize he wasn't the big dick on campus.

I'd rather have an ignorant, hands off president like Gerberding for over a decade who let the football team win 4 Rose Bowls, an Orange Bowl, and a national championship than a hands on, incompetent bafoon like Emmert fuck everything up, then render himself blameless after he killed the football program.

Fuck Mark Emmert and piss on his grave.
  • Options
    Mad_SonMad_Son Member Posts: 10,086
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Mad_Son said:

Gerberding didn't know that he didn't matter for over a decade. He was ignorant to the fact that Don James was more powerful than he was. Only after winning the national championship in '91 did Gerberding realize he wasn't the big dick on campus.

I'd rather have an ignorant, hands off president like Gerberding for over a decade who let the football team win 4 Rose Bowls, an Orange Bowl, and a national championship than a hands on, incompetent bafoon like Emmert fuck everything up, then render himself blameless after he killed the football program.

Gerberding inherited James. I don't *think* Emmert would fire a coach with the success of James - he just wouldn't prioritize finding one. I think they are both football fuck-ups but Emmert did more good per annum for the university in general than Gerberding. Again, just my ignorant half-brained opinion.
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,787
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    edited August 2013
    Mad_Son said:

Mad_Son said:

Gerberding inherited James. I don't *think* Emmert would fire a coach with the success of James - he just wouldn't prioritize finding one. I think they are both football fuck-ups but Emmert did more good per annum for the university in general than Gerberding. Again, just my ignorant half-brained opinion.
    On the academic and fundraising side of things, Emmert did pretty well, but it's not like McCormick was a disaster.

Of course, McCormick didn't let the football program continue to rot and play slimeball political games to get ahead.
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam
    But explain how he was a bad president.
  • Options
    TailgaterTailgater Member Posts: 1,389
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Regardless of any mythology posted or commented on Dawgman, it was always clear for those paying attention that Turner was Emmert's hiring mistake and nobody elses. Dr. Snakeoil bragged about it in the context that Todd was his man to clean up the Montlake mess while assuring us that such would be Turner's focus.

I remember seeing a post on the Dawgman site which might have been Turner Myth #2 explaining that Todd was actually hired as temporary AD by interim president Huntsman to start the Montlake cleanup in the wake of Hedges' forced retirement and that a permanent AD position for Turner was contingent on Emmert's approval once his eminence's hiring as new UW president was finalized. Even though he was high on the unemployed former Vandy AD, this info appeared to have absolved Emmert of primary responsibility for the Turner hiring mistake. However, I seem to recall posting this mythology myself as just another lame attempt at cynicism for the times Husky Football was struggling through,....... except that I'm uncertain my sense of recall can now be sufficient to accurately serve memories of the Emmert-Turner fiasco. Simply put, it's time to say fuck-it while never ever forgetting the eventual net result: Willingham's 0-12 masterpiece.
  • Options
    TailgaterTailgater Member Posts: 1,389
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

Mad_Son said:

Mad_Son said:

On the academic and fundraising side of things, Emmert did pretty well, but it's not like McCormick was a disaster.

Of course, McCormick didn't let the football program continue to rot and play slimeball political games to get ahead.
    Funding for everything except football at UW was in a deplorable funk in the mid-1980's when Gerberding became president. His political and fund raising abilities are what saved our great university from ruin in those desperate times. Enrollment at UW was actually in decline under heavy admittance demand and I know from my own experience that many lower campus colleges such as engineering were in serious trouble seeking operational funbding. Having said that, there's also no question that Gerberding was a complete idiot when it came to UW athletics in general and Husky Football in particular, which he clearly demonstrated by forcing the retirements of Marv Harshman and Mike Lude and conspired with his Pac-10 peers to chase Don James into leaving before his time with us was over. I'm certain Gerberding's security as UW president suffered because of that as it should have.

When Emmert arrived several years later, fund raising largely driven by Bill Gates Sr. and others was in great shape and getting significantly better. In my opinion, Dr. Snake Oil simply stepped into the gravy train that his predecessors Gerberding, McCormack, and Gates Sr. had built. As with anything worth while, UW academics, research, and self-sufficient enterprises have always followed the money and Emmert did little to jeopardize that except for his interference east of Montlake in trashing Husky Football. Is the UW better off in academics and research as well as athletics without Dr. Emmert? Absolutely!