Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Temperature Check - Are We Worried We Didn't Hire Grubb?

WoolleyDoogWoolleyDoog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,706
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
Swaye's Wigwam

I'll go on record saying I was glad WE hired Fisch and not Grubb. A few months down the line and after a thoroughly disappointing Spring portal recruiting season a text from Joe E got me having some doubts. I'm sticking with Fisch for now as I have doubts retaining Grubb would have kept very many of the guys who transferred (there was already talk Kalepo was leaving, I think Bernard wants the lights of Bama, and Muhammad was gone), I think Grubb and co would have been just as bad if not worse in the portal, worse in HS recruiting, and we're stuck with Morrell/Inge.

Temperature Check - Are We Worried We Didn't Hire Grubb? 40 votes

Absolutely should have GrubbHubbed
0%
No, Fisch On
55%
CFetters_Nacho_LoverwhlinderPostGameOrangeSlicesMad_SondtdTheHBchuckTequillahaieVanDawg38WilburHooksHandsAlexisHuskyClawslouism2washYellowSnowEl_KCallMeBigErnBleachedAnusDawgdannarcFear_Boner 22 votes
LIPO
32%
LoneStarDawgSarkinghamwhatshouldicareabouthuskyhooliganFenderbender123SourcesWilliams3theknowledgeRDRJoeEDangerouslydirtysouwfdawgPurpleSmokehopeless 13 votes
Lanning is building a monster in Eugene
12%
DerekJohnsonRaceBannonPurpleJspuden1to392831weretaken 5 votes

Comments

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    No, Fisch On

I'll add that part of me being very Fisch was I thought they had a decent chance at McMillan, Fifita, Tacario Davis, Savaiinaea, Coleman, and so on.

• Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 102,077
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Fischer is better than Grubb

People hated Grubb by the end of the season

• Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,630
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

You mean the guy who didn't have a running game? That Grubb?

• Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,661
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    No, Fisch On

You'd be doing it to retain players and Huff, probably still lose Sheppard and the defense is still a mess. Talent acquisition still not fixed.

With this staff the defense and running game are massively improved, take all the screenshots you want.

I will miss DeBoer's offense that used short/intermediate passing to burn an entire quarter away and still come up with a TD though.

• Options
    Miley_CyrusMiley_Cyrus Member Posts: 796
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

I do thinking hiring someone with head coaching experience was the right move. There’s something that worries me a little about Fisch that I can’t quite put my finger on though. Maybe that it was orchestrated by Dannen, I don’t know.

Fisch seems a little too interested in his personal brand.

• Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,661
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    No, Fisch On

It feels like an audition to have his staff completely take over an NFL team.

That's why I think the Florida stuff has always been bullshit. They don't care what kind of offense you have, it can be gimmicky as fuck all as long as you're beating Georgia.

• Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,668
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    No, Fisch On

Grubb is exactly where he should be. And he left DeBoer hanging. I'm happy for the guy.

Also could see him getting fired in two years.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    No, Fisch On

Okay, you guys have helped. I wouldn't have taken a coordinator, especially an internal one with an even better resume than Grubb given the Lambo, Gilby, Jimmy trauma and the limitations of Sark.

I think there may have been long term talent acquisition issues and never hiring a real DC issues had even Deboer stayed.

• Options
    Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,279
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

I have had the same feeling, but CFB has changed so much in the last decade, a coach's "brand" is required at this point. Fats didn't really have that presence, went 25-3, played for a natty, and still had trouble recruiting. The head stick has got to sell something other than "You will get a good education (for free), and we will give you an opportunity to develop and compete". It seems to now be "How big is my bag, and how soon can you get me to the league?". That is a generalization, but that's what it looks like from my seat.

• Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,100
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
  • Options
    dtddtd Member Posts: 4,142
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    No, Fisch On

Fisch's resume for a HC job shits all over Grubb's.

• Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,415
    Founders Club

Too much name-dropping type of stuff going on. The little man inside my head has been constantly whispering to me that there might be some superficiality to him. On the other hand, he did take a horrible Arizona team to 10 wins and he did recruit well there in Tucson.

• Options
    SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,240
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club

"I thought DeBoer was a salt of the earth Dakotan who would be here for some time"

I mistakenly thought the same thing. But as you point out, he did lead an epic two year run. Tip of the cap to him for that.

We may have dodged a bullet with him leaving though. Time will tell. That run at UW was BPE powered, supported by an all time great WR corps and an outstanding OL. His recruiting was largely shit, and is now flying solo, Penix-less, Grubb-less, Huff-less. Bama is Bama until they aren't, but my hunch is Deboer will struggle there. He is operating in the shadow of the greatest CFB coach of all time at arguably the greatest CFB program of all time that is used to winning natties at an unreasonable clip.

• Options
    theknowledgetheknowledge Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,596
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    LIPO

Fisch can win big here. Why rebuild Florida in a meat grinder for one of the SECs four playoff spots? He will either build a championship level team here and leave for the NFL after he does or he will die trying. He knows first hand that switching jobs in the era of unlimited free agency is an awful burden and flat out not enjoyable. If Arizona was in the Big 10 or if UW was still in the P12 he likely wouldn't have left. He had built a formidable team from scratch. I'm LIPO because if he can't win here no blue blood in CFB will want him, if he stalls out at 9 wins a year like Chip at UCLA then we won't want him either and he will probably bail for an NFL OC job somewhere. An NFL head gig is his end game, period. That's his driving force. A motivated ladder climber is good for UW. He either gets there from Seattle or he never gets there at all.

• Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,415
    Founders Club

Hmmm…. The Jen Cohen leopard print photo suddenly won't post.