Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

DAVID LEE ROTH Blasts SAMMY HAGAR Over His 'Constant Spew Of Diarrhea Vitriol'

Comments

• Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,944
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Dave needs to say it to Sammy’s FACE!

• Options
    JoeEDangerouslyJoeEDangerously Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 6,167
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

I’m on Dave’s side now. Used to be on Sammy’s side on a lot of things but Sammy brings up shit unprovoked in interviews now and it saddens me because I think it’s beneath him to be jealous that Dave sold more albums with Van Halen.

• Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,993
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
  • Options
    El_KEl_K Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,109
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    Swaye's Wigwam

When it comes to siding with any member of the Mighty Van Halen, I will always side with Team Michael Anthony. The worst thing he ever said was Dave is a crazy guy. Never dissed the brothers despite getting cut out of royalties. Unsure if they ever adhered to it, but to cut MA out while AVH didn’t contribute music and lyrics is crappy. Having the name VH saved AVH.

Between Dave and Sammy, Team Dave all the way. And I do like Van Hagar. Sammy’s bad math and justifying Van Hagar was more popular is what gets me. Sure, you had more #1 albums. But you didn’t sell more.

The brothers lost a lot of respect when they blamed Roth for the MTV VMAs in 96. Always making Dave to be the bad guy while recording with him and leading him in while they had Cherone waiting in the wings. Dave was the bad guy when he quit. The brothers couldn’t stand Roth. They should have been elated. But they get Sammy and they talk shit. The actions never matched the words.

I could go on and on about VH.

• Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,237
    Founders Club
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

EVH said Sammy quit and that “his work ethic sucked”

Sammy said he was fired on Fathers Day or Mother’s Day by a drunk EVH. Sammy also just had a new born kid with the new wife, so I will side with Sammy as to what happened. Sammy is a hard working guy. This was shortly after Cabo Wabo opened a few years earlier and I think the tequila was taking off. Sammy is still going strong today, so his work ethic doesn’t suck.

I think the VH brothers were bent out of shape for not sticking with the Cabo Wabo thing. They wanted out. Sammy bought them out and it took off.

Plus the VH brothers were probably jealous of Sammy getting along with MA so well.

Then the 2004 Reunion happens and EVH is looking rough. All method out. Sammy’s been book details that it was not a good time. AVH was in the middle of a divorce and needed the money, so he trotted EVH out there to make a few bucks.

If the VH brothers had more than three ounces of business sense instead of one, they would have reunited with Roth in 1996 while the iron was white hot. 1996 was the year of big reunions. KISS. Sex Pistols. But no, they blamed Roth for making it about him and disrespecting Beck at the VMAs. I think Beck would have given up the award to see VH reunite. The celebs in the audience knew it should happen.

after those VMAs and it came out the bothers used Roth and they told Roth “baby steps” and AVH also said, “ we don’t want to rip off the fans”. The fans wanted to be ripped off with a Roth reunion!! But no. We got VH3, which is not great album. And it was announced that EVH did the drumming and not AVH as AVH was too drunk most of the time. The VH3 show was great. Saw it at the Gorge. They played old stuff as that what the fans wanted and Cherone delivered.

That is when we got to see EVHs work ethic go from zilch to nada. Eddie Van Halen became Eddie Van Heineken and lots of meth.

I am looking forward to AVHs book that comes out in October. Just so many sides to this band’s history.

• Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,044
    Swaye's Wigwam

This conversation has always been easy for me. That is to say, I don't have any interest in the music post 1984.

But those first 6 albums are all timers!

• Options
    Founders Club
    edited April 29

Based on what I read in Sammy's autobiography, I think EVH was clinically insane.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

They were the American version of Led Zeppelin from 78-84. They couldn’t be touched. If they just would have stuck it out, who knows what they would become. Grunge didn’t kill them off like it did other bands, but I skipped the FUCK tour. I appreciate the Van Hagar years and the Cherone tour, but there was a reason why they reunited with Roth for three tours from 2008 on. Thats what the people wanted.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

EVH wasn’t the brightest guy in some respects. Noel Monk’s book alluded to that. There is a story about EVH and Fred Durst that is pretty nuts as well. Some say EVH drove a tank. I doubt that. I think it may have been a jeep that could mount a machine gun from it. It seems like the brothers didn’t care about the business side. But it was the business and money they made from it that allowed them to be musicians, which was what they looked at themselves as. And as much as they say Roth was a pain to be around, the brothers were drunk almost all the time. I don’t blame Roth for quitting.

Another great book is by Greg Renoff. The early days of VH. The Gene Simmons demos. Bill Aucoin turning them down. Warner signing them soon after. If not for Roth, the VH brothers would not be where they are today. Roth had the vision, the salesmanship to push VH. The videos are legendary.

These are the reasons I am Team Roth. Or Team Sammy when it comes to him butting heads with the brothers.

• Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,601
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

For me, Van Haggar is almost unlistenable. I think they had a song on the Twister soundtrack that I thought was okay.

Van Halen's sound needs DLR on vocal as much as it does Eddie playing guitar.

I actually like a lot of Sammy's solo stuff and Montrose. His style just does not fit with what Van Halen was created to do.

• Options
    Founders Club

@WoolleyDoog and I had a conversation about Eddie one time in that he can’t be married to a woman or be a family man because his love and obsession is guitar. Woolley also pointed out that Alex and Eddie would be in some maniacal junkie infested prog rock band if it weren’t for Dave and his Beach Boys inspired pop music hooks

• Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,044
    Swaye's Wigwam

Mother fucking this.

Sammy Hagar is a fucking JAG and sounds like every other basic bitch, hard rock lead vocalist of the late 70's / early 80s.

Eddie is on the Mt Rushmore of most important electric rock guitarists in history, but he's nothing w/o Diamond Dave.

Van Halen lost all of fun and humor that made the music great when Sammy took over.

• Options
    Founders Club
    edited April 29

I don’t hate Van Hagar but I don’t think there is one song I have for our youth football teams playlist. If it comes up on any other playlist I have, fine. But for the most part, It’s all Dave.

• Options
    Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,264
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

I was (am) all in on the first 3 albums, front to back. Fair Warning began the selective listening of a few songs off each of the rest. The synths did not work for me, at all.

I went to Monsters of Rock in 88 (shout out to Joe Albi, RIP). Saw a unknown band as an opener that, ahh, was pretty dynamic (Metallica), Dokken and the Scorpions. I loved Sammy solo and with Montrose, and went in skeptical. They rocked. Same policy as above for Van Hagar, selected cuts I like, will turn the dial for the ones I don't.

My take: Dave was great, to a point. Sammy was great, to a point. I look at Dave as an "entertainer', Sam as a R&R guy. Both are terminally afflicted with "LSD" (lead singer disease) and are insufferable attention whores. Neither would be where they are today without Ed and Al, IMO. Ed and Al shit on Mikey, so Sam gets points for picking him up. Mikey was a big part of the sound.

In summary, you just can't trust the fucking Dutch…

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Some Van Halen anniversaries

April 29th, 1981. Van Halen releases Fair Warning

April 30th, 1984. Van Halen plays the Coliseum in Seattle for the last time with the original line up. This day will stick with me forever. My mom wouldn’t let me go.

• Options
    Founders Club

@JoeEDangerously's Youth Football Team Playlist

The Boys are Back in Town (Thin Lizzy)

Jailbreak (Thin Lizzy)

Still in Love with You (Thin Lizzy)

Cowboy Song (Thin Lizzy)

Don't Believe a Word (Thin Lizzy)

Panama (Van Halen)

Dancing in the Moonlight (Thin Lizzy)

Waiting for an Alibi (Thin Lizzy)

Chinatown (Thin Lizzy)

Rosalie (Thin Lizzy)

Crazy Train (Ozzy Osborne)

The Rocker (Thin Lizzy)

Mama Nature Said (Thin Lizzy)

Black Rose (Thin Lizzy)

Opium Trail (Thin Lizzy)

• Options
    Founders Club
    edited April 30

If we have a Van Halen pod this summer it sounds like we should have you on as a guest

@El_K

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

I am down for that Van Halen audio circle jerk.
    I get it that some people don’t like VH and that Panama is all fucked out like Stairway to Heaven was in the early 80’s on KISW. But man, they were Gods back then and it was all about having a good time when VH was on the radio or tape deck.