Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

DEI and the University of Washington

2»

Comments

• Options
    WestlinnDuckWestlinnDuck Member Posts: 13,934
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Standard Supporter

Oregon did the same thing with both math and reading. It's okay for the basketball coach to demand practicing free throws. But teachers hate having the kids practice and then review that practice. So, no phonetics, just see and say. Just skip the basics. Same with multiplication tables. We had flash cards and I had to practice with my mom doing the multiplication tables and we would get tested in school and our results were posted. Oregon finally has mandated phonetics in all schools. No one is pushing basic math problems. Just give the kids a calculator in third grade and let them figure it out.

• Options
    huskyhooliganhuskyhooligan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,083
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

Was at a state training last year where they threw in 15 minutes at the end in DEI. A tall black lady dressed like Dumbledore from Harry Potter with blue hair got up and talked about how her mixed race family couldn't eat at certain establishments in WA state. She cited the staring her family receives when walking in such restaurants as the objective reasoning. I thought to myself, yeah, I'm going to stair at black Dumbledore walking past my table, but the fuck am I going to care if she's eating there.

It is not lost on me that DEI seems to have come to the forefront as a response to the repeal of affirmative action in a lot of places. It would appear to be the same thing, but it seems to be an even stronger version so as to make all tenants of the practice much harder to fully repeal.

• Options
    RoadTripRoadTrip Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,244
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

No offense but what the fuck is a Dumbledore? Is that some Harry Potter or Dungeons and Draggons shit?

• Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,861
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    edited April 23

My third grade teacher made a game of it and had us compete against each other. She would show a flashcard (ex. 6 x 5) and the first person to sat 30 wins. One person would stand behind the other. This was in the late 80s when teachers smoked, males still wore ties, and we never heard about homosexuality. Now that would be discouraged in many school and teachers would be forced to teach grouping and spend 45 minutes extra on it.

• Options
    whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,293
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter

I'm sure I've told this story on here before but back in 1999 freshman english or something the prof (or maybe she was a TA) tried to tell me that NFL players were effectively slaves because they couldn't move cities or change teams on their own.

I about lost my shit on her. But stupid profs have been around for a while. Luckily I didn't have too many classes outside of Econ and Stats.

• Options
    huskyhooliganhuskyhooligan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,083
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam