Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Penix's performance in the natty scared at least one viewer

Comments

• Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,481
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

This wasn't the first game in 2 years where he was doing that, and the staff never once deviated from "Go out and be a superstar and save us" as opposed to getting creative on the ground.

But of course none of the national media people watched the Washington @ UCLA game.

• Options
    QuietcowskeeQuietcowskee Member Posts: 3,099

A healthy Dillon Johnson might’ve helped in that game. 👌👌

• Options
    WoolleyDoogWoolleyDoog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,503
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

Penix is my GOAT and I think Debewer fucked the team by being distracted but this is ultimately what it is, even with no RB. There's a lot of examples, but on just his second int he has Rome for an easy first if not TD, Westover for a very likely first dump off and Polk over the top for a potential TD on a throw he makes a ton instead he lofts a pass over JMac's head he doesn't he have a shot at so a Michigan guy covering no one gets to pick it off and end the game. The first drive Rome end zone miss is unreal too. Rewatching it's also pretty clear UW's WRs were going to burnt gas station fried chicken Michigan's DBs had Penix been on.

I'm okay with this guy's skepticism is he thinks that McCarthy is poop from an actual butt and sucked against a Husky D that made everyone not named Noah Kim look like Heisman contenders all year.

• Options
    UWhuskytskeetUWhuskytskeet Member Posts: 7,108
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer

Pretty much #MeToo but I watched several series earlier this week. I swear UW would have found a way to win if Rosengarten doesn’t hold.

• Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,995
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

The defensive breakdowns in the first half cost us even more than Penix being off

• Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,866
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

Thanks Taft.

Like some of you, I’ve only seen a few plays from the natty game. Don’t know if I’m ready to watch anything else yet.

• Options
    HoustonHuskyHoustonHusky Member Posts: 5,954
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic 5 Awesomes
    edited March 7

Everybody was off…Penix, the WRs, the OL, the D…because the head coach was distracted managing his exit plan the week running up to the game. You don’t have that large of a difference between the UT and UM games with every part of the team without it being an organizational issue from the top.

Great coach, but he screwed his team over that close to a NC looking out for his own long-term interests and I’m not sure how anyone could see it differently or how many of them could forgive him for it.

• Options
    godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,409
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

UW lost b/c Michigan was able to run it down our throats like they have every other game since 2021 minus Georgia in Semi-Finals that year and their 4 got enough pressure on Penix vs that he was seeing just enough shadows and happy feet that the 1/2 extra second he normally had to make the throws wasn't there resulting in misses.

We will never know if Deboer interviewed for the Bama job b4 game, but D1 College Coaches are in the 1% of the 1% of greatest compartmentalizers on earth, so even if he talked with them a hour during the NC week, as soon as it was over he immediately went back to the task of trying to win a D1 Championship.

• Options
    TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,324
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam

Perhaps. But if word leaked out among staff and players, that’s a whole lot of compartmentalizers needed.

• Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,481
    Swaye's Wigwam

I personally don't think that the staff knew. Just based on where they all ended up and the chaos with Grub and Huff dipping shortly after going with DeBoer.

If anyone, Maybe Sheppard. But the guys who ended up wanting to stay in Seattle? Don't really think so.

Like Fisch said, it's 45 minute phone call. His agent probably told him it's between him and Norvell, and then it's onto winning a championship. A championship is a fucking championship. You don't just "get distracted" because it's at a school you think you might be leaving.

If whay Saban said is true about why he retired, plus having to go through more rounds, DeBoer might never get back there.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

The truth is yeah the entire team was off except I would say the WRs and TEs. Credit Michigan for that but yeah definitely is suspicious that something was going on with the staff. I think the thing is even with that, UW was so good in the passing game they still could have won had Penix had the game he had against Texas, especially since he was also getting pressure against Texas.

Trying not to doog I'll maintain they played a lot of games like that and the Rosengarten hold took the play away that usually flipped things. Shoutout Brailsford on the next play they have McMillan on a screen in the middle of the field with three lineman in front of him and one DB and all Brailsford has to do is just even kind of get in the way of the DB and who knows how long the play is going for and he does nothing.

• Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,492
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

It was basically just the first quarter. UW was within one score and had the ball four or five straight times with a chance to tie and couldn't get it done. 20 - 13 entering the 4th quarter, I'm not putting anything on the defense.

• Options
    whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,273
    Standard Supporter

I will also believe forever that our more intensive travel added to it. That was a product of when the Sugar Bowl ended, Seattle being further away and our cheapness/sponsor expectations.

Deboer being distracted was issue 1 but we also chipped away at our focus and rest by insisting the team fly back to Seattle then turn around to go to Houston and do so in coach.

Should have gone straight to Houston, or go to some intermediate point. Call up Pool Boy and see if we could have gotten use of LSU's facilities or something.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

The defense basically gave up 17 points when it mattered. They gave the offense the ball back four times with a chance to tie essentially and saved their ass forcing the field goal after the first int.

They couldn't have fucked up in a worse way early though. Not just giving up the points, but the way they did was ultra demoralizing and put a ton of pressure on the offense in a way they weren't used to right out the gate.

• Options
    godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,409
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

Had UW won, Michigan fans would have imploded on Harbaugh going for it on 4th near midfield 2nd quarter and failing leading to our only td of the game. They had the game on lock down at that point, and we had shown no ability to go 80-90 yards on that D up to that point.