Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

PM to the state of Washington

2»

Comments

• Options
    WestlinnDuckWestlinnDuck Member Posts: 13,906
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Standard Supporter

The economic useful life of a wind turbine is touted as 25 to 30 years. However, the federal wind tax credit expires at 10 years. So what happens? After 10 years they tear down and have to recycle or bury the 10 year old wind turbines which are fully functional and replace them with new wind turbines so they can start sucking the government tit on a new 10 year wind credit. You think the US MSM ever explains that to economic retards like buck?

• Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 30,761
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

A five-megawatt wind turbine can require 700 gallons of lubricant, and costly synthetic fluids are preferred in the industry. Typically, oil change intervals are scheduled for from 9 to 16 months.

So green!

• Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,341
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

How come smart leftists who want to save the planet are so ignorant about how their solutions make things worse?

• Options
    Standard Supporter

Once up and running, the 700 gallons of lubricant are probably comparable for what they are using on a 500 megawatt combined gas cycle natural gas plant plus the actual natural gas. The problem is a wind turbine produces only about 40% of rated capacity. So a 500 megawatt wind plant is actually producing only 200 megawatt hours of electricity while a gas plant is running over 95% efficiency. Then when the wind doesn't blow and you need 500 megawatts of power you need a standby 500 megawatt gas plant plus your wind farm to meet demand. So now you are paying for both at least one 500 megawatt wind farm plus a 500 megawatt gas plant. None of this pencils out. Hence the huge increase in electrical rates.

PS Those 20 year warrantied wind turbine lubricated gear boxes are failing early like crazy. The gear box manufacturers are getting killed on warranty replacements and part of the large increase in turbine prices. You can stick a 500 megawatt gas plant on five acres anywhere you have a gas line. You can stick a 500 megawatt wind plant on hundreds of acres in Wyoming, population 585,000 because that's where the wind blows and there is available land. Long way to Los Angeles or Phoenix or Portland or Seattle to move that power. New transmission lines don't use any land, fortunately and all populated communities love a huge transmission line cutting through.

• Options
    Bob_CBob_C Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,915
    Photogenic First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Founders Club

The LED light bulbs on the package say they last 13 years. I’ve changed the ones in my kitchen probably 5 times in 10 years. All this shit is way worse than advertised.

• Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,496
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

LED bulbs seem to have shorter lifespans than incandescent bulbs while costing 5 times as much money. I find myself replacing a burned out LED bulb at least once every couple months.

• Options
    Standard Supporter

I've had great luck with LED bulbs. Had about 25 125 watt ceiling spot incandescents which are HOT. The would last 9 months. Replaced them with fluorescents which I hated because of the light quality and the slow turn on. Had the spots replaced with LED inserts and now great light and no replacements needed since they were replaced 2 years ago and run at 15 watts.