Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Comments

• Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,961
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • Options
    HouhuskyHouhusky Member Posts: 5,537
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Non of these ideas work because the schools are independent. Any idea to collectively restrict the contractors/employee "student" athletes bargaining power will lose in court. Almost any restriction from the NCAA or a conference will violate the Sherman Act, which prohibits "contracts, combinations, or conspiracies in restraint of trade or commerce" (First Bannon v NCAA and now strengthened in NCAA v Alston, 2021)

The NFL/MLB/NBA dodge many of the anti trust lawsuits/restrictions because they are really just a single entity and the teams are franchises in conjunction with congressionally passed Sports Broadcasting Act of 1961. (also a bunch of nonsensical specific MLB carve outs about culture and tradition and inconsistently applied restrictions on interstate commerce from 1922).

TLDR: None of these solutions mean anything, they cant stand legally, it will take an act of congress to stop the bleeding; basically its fucked.
  • Options
    WoolleyDoogWoolleyDoog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,561
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    College basketball has kind of been ahead of the curve on this and made even worse because players can go pro after one year or just go to the D League and I think they're hemorrhaging fans. I know I for one watch a lot less. It's kind of surviving because of March Madness and brackets/betting. I remember recently checking the box score of the UW/Oregon game and not recognizing like one player and checking each to see almost every single player had played for one and many two schools before. Great path to follow.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Obviously, the portal can make for some fun, compelling product and storylines- e.g., Caleb, Penix and Nix helping the Pac brand (too little, too late though).

But, at this point, the NFL does a far better job with managing the product for fan loyalty and engagement.

• Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,536
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    You need transfer fees like euro futbol to deter the constant transfers. Make all the contracts for 4 years, and if you want out the school that wants you needs to negotiate a transfer fee to pay the school you’re leaving.
  • Options
    Seven_ElevenSeven_Eleven Member Posts: 109
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    This isn't changing. Get used to it, or stop watching if you want, but the idea that people are going to walk away from the sport en masse is wishful thinking brought on because we are on the sphincter end of a balls deep ass-raping. The playoff, conference consolidation/relegation paid college players, etc. is going to draw eyes to the sport. Controversy and turmoil it causes will only create more conversation and eyes as people love controversy and tune it to it way more than they do when things are calm.

The fans walking away talk is the same as people that say they are leaving the country based on election results. It doesn't happen.
  • Options
    DoubleJDawgDoubleJDawg Member Posts: 598
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    All additional reasons why in today's world the university and the athletic department need to "own" the recruiting process fundamentally (i.e., the "GM" is a athletic department role, not one on the coaching staff), with the coaches being important stakeholders but not the organizer or driver

It's just outstripped the average football coaches ability and intelligence to understand all the rules and protocols -- and of course, you'd rather not have players tied to the coach (rather than the program, or university) if you can help it
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

This isn't changing. Get used to it, or stop watching if you want, but the idea that people are going to walk away from the sport en masse is wishful thinking brought on because we are on the sphincter end of a balls deep ass-raping. The playoff, conference consolidation/relegation paid college players, etc. is going to draw eyes to the sport. Controversy and turmoil it causes will only create more conversation and eyes as people love controversy and tune it to it way more than they do when things are calm.

The fans walking away talk is the same as people that say they are leaving the country based on election results. It doesn't happen.

It's happened here.

Sure @PurpleBaze and @Swaye cum here for the malarkey, but will they ever have the same passion for UW football that once existed?
  • Options
    PurpleBazePurpleBaze Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,488
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

It's happened here.

Sure @PurpleBaze and @Swaye cum here for the malarkey, but will they ever have the same passion for UW football that once existed?
    Speaking for myself, I'll never be able to recapture the passion I used to have for Husky Football.

There are many reasons, but I won't bore everyone with them.

I'll stay somewhat engaged with the goings on through this board, but that's it.

I watched the championship game very objectively. It didn't affect my mood at all that they lost.

And that's all I have to say about that.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

I just paid thousands of dollars to watch a coach, who had already planned his departure, trot out an unprepared team in the national championship game and take a giant dump all over every fan who made the trip to the game. Said coach has subsequently taken players away from UW and left "my school" with a gutted roster and no time to rebuild. This is coming off of a 14 - 1 season and #2 finish!

If I wanted to watch professional football I would watch the NFL. Maybe I'm allowing my opinion to be totally tainted by my personal experience recently, but I think a lot of people in NFL-area markets are probably going through the same thought process as I am. Sure, in backwater shitholes like Eugene and Tuscaloosa, where there's jack shit to do other than smoke meth and steal catalytic convertors, fans in those towns will still show up because the college is their version of a professional franchise.

College sports are morphing into a product that appeals to people who like watching reality tv. Pretty fickle consumer to rely on when the NFL is already in existence.
    #MyAnus is fucking killing it today!
  • Options
    EwaDawgEwaDawg Member Posts: 3,993
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited January 22

It's happened here.

I hope to live a long life but I just told my family I can no longer legit claim to be a Dwag fan for the rest of my life. Hell, I may not even follow college football beyond the next 5-10 years.

This is a shitshow and I don't watch reality tv.

All we are saying, is give peace Fisch a chance. . .