Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

NIL 101… I have questions

NookTunnelSyndromeNookTunnelSyndrome Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 183
Name Dropper 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
Swaye's Wigwam
I know Montlake Futures has no ties to the school or at least not legitimate ties. Which leads to my 1st question.
Who decides who gets the donation? Does the coach refer a player?
2nd, does the player enter into a binding contract w/ the collective? or is the donation just a one time benefit w/ no requirements?
3rd and this is just my thought, can the collective even leverage a contract, stating that if the player leaves or doesn’t fulfill the agreement over a period of time say 1-2 years, they have to repay a portion or all of the donation?

I can’t wrap my head around how these collectives know whom to donate to or how to protect themselves from players just grabbing a bag then popping into the portal

Comments

• Options
    CanadawgCanadawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,056
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Mad_Son said:
    That dude must be on running on zero sleep right now
  • Options
    TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,324
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Canadawg said:

Mad_Son said:
    That dude must be on running on zero sleep right now

• Options
    BonerBoner Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 198
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    Founders Club

What a dumb fucking system. It would make so much more sense to have the schools handle it themselves, that way they can ensure everything is above board.

Yep, unless I’m missing something these collectives have no oversight and take donations without explaining how the funds are distributed. I would feel like quite the moron if my donation was used to bring some Vandy backer to campus for two weeks in January before he portals again. Also, it makes wonder how much embezzlement is occurring across the country.
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,237
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Boner said:

What a dumb fucking system. It would make so much more sense to have the schools handle it themselves, that way they can ensure everything is above board.

Yep, unless I’m missing something these collectives have no oversight and take donations without explaining how the funds are distributed. I would feel like quite the moron if my donation was used to bring some Vandy backer to campus for two weeks in January before he portals again. Also, it makes wonder how much embezzlement is occurring across the country.
    Embezzlement or money laundering.

Tomato tomatoe.
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,866
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

I’ve heard that MF will eventually fall under the umbrella of the school/AD. No idea when that’ll happen.
  • Options
    gmogmo Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,644
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    wait college football is a corrupt, disorganized mess? What the?

• Options
    EsophagealFecesEsophagealFeces Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,474
    Founders Club

I’ve heard that MF will eventually fall under the umbrella of the school/AD. No idea when that’ll happen.
    I feel like it has to, and I really don’t understand why it wasn’t done that way from the beginning. Probably the NCAA stupidly trying to keep the schools’ hands looking clean. If you’re going to allow this, there has to be institutional oversight, otherwise we’re back to shady under the table shit like before. The NCAA can’t do anything without fucking it up, as always.
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    Standard Supporter

Caples article is paywalled, maybe it's in the wigwam? I'll summarize for the pours.

• One of the advisers, and a guy that met with Fisch on day 1 is the COO of Deloitte. Deloitte is one of the 4 largest accounting firms in the WORLD. He's easily worth multiple hundreds of millions and he played basketball at UW.
    • The Executive Director of Montlake futures has been in regular contact with Fisch every day since he started.That seems legit, and the fact that it's been said publicly to a reporter is, I think, a big deal.
    • THey talk openly about our NIL packages being top heavy last year to keep Penix, Rome and others. Basically said that NIL is the reason for our title run.
    • Talked about how it used to be just big dollar donors, and the older generation being skeptical, but WINNING attracts more donors and they are started to see the funds increase quite a lot. Small dollars, big dollars, young and old. It all matters.
    It seems like there has been a shift somewhere, maybe the Board or our commie football president? When NIL first started jen cohen was obsessive about us, "doing it the right way," but then she and KDB constantly complained about the limitations they had. It seems like she had orders from above about how we were going to engage. Now we have Montlake Futures talking openly about NIL packages given to players and starting to offer small dollar subscriptions to fund things?

Something changed, and it changed for the better. When you have Arizona, and even Ohio State talking about UW's NIL packages being tough to compete with, I think it's a good sign. Obviously Penix was a superstar, but he is a great example of what could be for a young QB. Penix had Bose, Adidas, Amazon, Alaska Airlines, plus whatever other small deals. That's a freakin' huge list of marketing deals for a college player.
    TIL, Deloitte's COO is based in Seattle.
  • Options
    LawDawg1LawDawg1 Member Posts: 3,756
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

I feel like it has to, and I really don’t understand why it wasn’t done that way from the beginning. Probably the NCAA stupidly trying to keep the schools’ hands looking clean. If you’re going to allow this, there has to be institutional oversight, otherwise we’re back to shady under the table shit like before. The NCAA can’t do anything without fucking it up, as always.
    . Just have your football team identify as women, then you can cut all the money sucking sports you want and spend the money on football.
    Stop plagiarizing my shit fucko.